Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421215 times)

cindyj

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #615 on: January 06, 2011, 09:49:43 am »
On the way to the gym...

Excellent!  Report back to us...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #616 on: January 06, 2011, 10:30:35 am »
After years of shopping around for a treadmill, I finally broke down & bought a manual one. I've already been using it. I'm at 20 minutes right now, but am working up to a 45 min. daily workout.

I haven't used a treadmill since before my AN surgery. I didn't think of the vestibular challenge using a treadmill might pose, esp. a manual one. My feet are what sets the belt in motion, so it is more of a workout than a motorized one. And, I find that I have to keep a tight grip on the handle bars, or it could get messy. I'm sure my vestibular system will adapt in time.

No more excuses. Can't blame the weather. Can't complain that it's too cold or hot or wet outside.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #617 on: January 06, 2011, 01:15:02 pm »
Made it back to the gym this morning ...... wasn't as painful as I thought it would be!   :o

Had a regular visit with my PCP just before Christmas and told her I was going to the gym three times a week ..... treadmill, then machines ..... I expected praise, but she said "How are you handling the treadmill with your balance issues?"  I told her it was easier than walking the outside track because I could hang on to the bars on the treadmill.  She then popped my bubble by informing me that that was not nearly as much of a work out when I was hanging on .......   :'(

Oh well, it is better than nothing I think.  Still not dropping the pounds ...... but then, Christmas sort of blew that dream ..... hopefully temporarily!

Forward, march!!!!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #618 on: January 06, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »
Clarice:

If your heart rate is elevated & you work up a sweat, I'd say it's a workout.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Kaybo

« Reply #619 on: January 06, 2011, 01:42:29 pm »
So we FINALLY got into the gym (locked until the "manned" person lets a non-member in and she was late!) and got everything filled out.  I did the ARC (which I love & did in Amarillo) for 30 minutes.  I tried to go slow at first but by the end, I was pretty much up there and also revved up the resistance a few times.  I then just did a few exercises...all in all, pretty proud of myself!!  Plan on going tomorrow!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #620 on: January 06, 2011, 03:09:25 pm »
Woo Hoo for you Kay!!

Clarice

Keri

« Reply #621 on: January 06, 2011, 04:32:23 pm »
agree with clarice... good for you, kay!!! and syl! and you too, clarice. you can feel it if you're getting a workout, and if you feel it, then it is. like syl said.

i ran today before it got dark. and, thanks to cindy saying she ran 4, i did more than my usual 2 up and down the street (boring route). i went a little longer and on a route with more hills). so, thank you , cindy, for bringing out this competitive drive in me!!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #622 on: January 06, 2011, 09:53:09 pm »
Great job Kay! Keep up the good work, Clarice. Just keep doing whatever you can.

Tomorrow is my final workout for this week. i am tweaking my routine to have weekends off. Just as well since I feel something coming on, hopefully I will be able to shake it off fast. Off to bed now since it's an early morning tomorrow.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #623 on: January 06, 2011, 11:58:23 pm »
Still haven't gotten around to returning to the gym  ::)

Have an "engagement" tomorrow morning at traffic court  ::)

Hoping I'll get out early so I can work out.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #624 on: January 08, 2011, 03:49:45 pm »
wondering how it's going this weekend with many of you wanting to get to the gym. i had a good run this morning. it was the first time i've done a run of any distance for a while. it was lightly snowing and was very pretty. i hadn't gotten up crack of dawn early in 5 saturdays to do a long run.. if you don't get it over with early, it's too difficult to try to fit in your schedule later.
thank you all or helping me stay on track! i hope you are all able to fit in a work out or run or walk or something. you know you'll feel better if you go do it!!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #625 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:49 pm »
I am still not moving much ... just have a case of bah humbugs

there is so much going on around here that by the time I get done what I have to get done, 
I am exhausted and sit reading or sleeping through TV or Movies

with school back in session I am hoping to resume walking ...not much of a work out but something

when my oldest daughter was in PT for leg and ankle strengthening they had her working on a Wave ...
when due to insurance not paying for PT she had to stop I bought her one ... she is in routine of getting
on it every night and going through the DVD work out that came with it ... she has not lost weight
(she doesn't need to at 5'4" and 120 lbs) but has toned her legs up and lost inches in waist and  thigh ...
I can't do the whole workout with out balance and dizziness becoming an issue ... I have thought that
I could put it on porch so I could hold the rail preventing falls ... saving that for warm weather ...

they are predicting up to 7 inches of snow for us by Monday night ... we never get much ... hoping they
are wrong ... the little bit Christmas Day was plenty
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #626 on: January 08, 2011, 06:37:00 pm »
Keri .....

You are amazing to get up early on a Saturday morning for a run!

We woke up to about 3" of new snow on the ground so not good for me with all of the white.  Alas, did not even make it out to the gym ...... but there is always tomorrow .....   ::)

Still putting away Christmas decorations and washing up all of the extra bedding from our 7 house guests for two weeks!!  Needless to say it took me several days to get over the fatigue!  Cannot imagine having to go back to work this week like you, Soundy.

Keep going everyone!

Clarice

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #627 on: January 08, 2011, 06:50:18 pm »
I don't return to work ... I am a stay at home mom that goes to school cause staying at home drives me insane  :)

I am at school usually 2 days a week , sometimes more on a volunteer basis and I walk in the gym since it is a safe warm
place to walk ...

our trees ( 2 are better than 1 according to local resources , as in my daughters )  are still up ... I think that taking them down
is a project for tomorrow ... living room is smaller than normal with my 30 year old boomerang child that lives in it and
his 2 year old that is here every other week ....
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #628 on: January 08, 2011, 06:58:39 pm »
I slept in until 8:00 this morning. I can't remember the last time that happened, but I really needed the rest. I feel much better today. I think it is going to work out much better for me to take weekends off from working out.

Later in the morning we went to Elbee's basketball game. Both A and B freshman girls' teams are undefeated so far this season. None of the games have even been close. Today's game was against a team with two of her former teammates from middle school. They congratulated each other for good plays, which got them some glares from their current teammates, but I'm happy that they are remaining so close.

The decorations have been off the tree for several days and we finally got the tree disassembled.

MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #629 on: January 11, 2011, 01:07:58 pm »
Your daughter and her former teamates sound like really good sports! Glad her team is having a successful season
--------
Where are all of you!!?? Is everyone so busy working out that they don't have time to post? Or do any of you need a bit of a push to get moving? I know I do!!

Keri

My head feels weird!!