Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421216 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #630 on: January 11, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »
With all of the snow/bad roads we are having, it makes it difficult to stay with the exercise routine.

I went to the Y yesterday but every joint in my body ached so I did not feel like I had a productive work-out.  We're supposed to drive to Cleveland Clinic tomorrow for a Thursday morning appointment for my husband.  However, we may just reschedule because the weather is very iffy for tomorrow at the moment.  Do not feel like risking life and limb for a follow-up appointment.  But ...... that also means I may not get in another work-out tomorrow either!

Keri, keep pushing us!!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #631 on: January 11, 2011, 02:04:17 pm »
I worked out yesterday but couldn't fit it in today as I started tutoring at the elementary school.  I guess I could've gone when I finished but I was already cleaned up!!  I do my free training session on Friday morning.  I plan on going in the morning BEFORE Bible class...I've just been doing the ARC for 30 minutes but have been increasing/changing up the resistence!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #632 on: January 11, 2011, 02:37:57 pm »
I'm snowed in today and still in my jammies.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #633 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:22 am »
Been snowed/iced in for days...you know Atl completely shuts down in this...can't get out today either...ugh...so, no training going on - was supposed to do 8 miles today, but guess not.  I'm going very stir crazy!  Getting a good bit of reading done - will go over to the Book Club thread to talk about that, though ;)

Heading out of town Friday morning for a wedding in FL, so will be sometime next week before I can do anything resembling exercise (other than dancing at rehearsal and reception!)...will come back here looking for my motivation, so you guys let us know what you're doing!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #634 on: January 12, 2011, 01:23:02 pm »
cindy.. i was wondering about your training and the snow. i wish we would have gotten a little more!

have fun at the wedding!

when is your half?

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #635 on: January 13, 2011, 09:11:22 am »
Keri, still many inches of snow on the ground and ice on the road...the 1/2 is Feb 13th...ready or not, we'll go and have a great time - a girl trip to FL!  We're not worried about beating our time from last year.  Another friend joined us who has never done a 1/2 and our goal (well, mine, anyway) is to get her through it.  She wants/needs to lose a good bit of weight, so we're hoping this will inspire her to keep exercising.  It's a HUGE breast cancer fund raiser with all the hoopla that goes with such an event - and we get to do about a mile right on the beach - beautiful!

Hope the rest of you are doing well!  Remember, doesn't have to be an hour of exercise, just do 10 minutes of something if that's all you've got...the next time, maybe you'll squeeze in 15 minutes - it all adds up to good things!  (Now, I'm going to try to take my own advice and do a few minutes  :D)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #636 on: January 13, 2011, 09:38:39 am »
Well, we joined the gym one week ago today and I have been every weekday except one (had to tutor at elementart school)...I did the ARC for 30 minutes again today but really upped the resistence and incline so I burned more calories.  I have my introductory session with the trainer tomorrow so we'll see how that goes!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #637 on: January 13, 2011, 10:16:46 am »
Now I am put to shame .....  We have basically been snowed in for two days ..... although today looks promising to get out!  Told myself I would get on the Wii as an alternative ..... but alas, that did not happen either.   :'(

Today I will.  Today I will.  Today I will.  Today I will.  Today I will.  Today I will.  Today I will.  Today I will.  Today I will.  Today I will.  Today I will.     ::) ::) ::)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Keri

« Reply #638 on: January 13, 2011, 10:31:05 am »
I get a 'daily kick in the butt' delivered to me on email from runner's world. here's a good one (apply to running, going to the gym.. etc)
"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running. "
Sarah Condor

that's a great reminder to me, who keeps putting it off, and then feels much better once i get out and run. need to do that today!!

i know it is hard with the snow. i wish i had those snowshoe things because it would be so much fun to go by the creek near our house and try that. i ran and biked two days ago, and ran just a little yesterday. today i need to run a bit more. then off tomorrow.

cindy, i'm glad you'll be running with your friend. you know what to expect and she doesn't and will probably be nervous. you'll be a great help!

kaybo!!! you're doing great! good for you!!  clarice.. you'll get back. go get on that Wii!!i just can't bring myself to 'YELL' at someone as sweet as clarice!
I'M MISSING JAN!!!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #639 on: January 13, 2011, 09:47:15 pm »
I've fallen off the wagon and can't get back on  :(

I'm still hoping to, though.

Jan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:24:44 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jill Marie

« Reply #640 on: January 13, 2011, 10:02:55 pm »
Hi troops,

Keri - How could I yell at you to get exercising when I can't even get up at the crack of dawn let alone exercise then.  As we all get back into the swing of things I'm sure we can offer you some more fuel for your competitive nature

Syl - Don't listen to the doctor, they don't always know what they are talking about or how to help motivate you, yes, using the hand rails don't give you the same workout as moving your arms as you go but it's a small difference in what you get out of the walk/run.  Your legs are still moving at the same pace and your heart is still pumping strong.  Besides anything you do is better than doing nothing and the doctor should have been more supportive especially considering they know your medical history

Kay - Sounds like you are on track for a good 2011 of exercising, if you have any long term down times I will get you going again

Sara - Good idea on the weekends off, you deserve it after all you did through Christmas, on the weekends its fun to do something that gets you a bit of exercise but you don't think of it that way because it's enjoyable, walk with the kids, bowling etc.

Jan - Get MOVING!

Soundy - Put your sights on Spring, think good warm thoughts and how in shape you would like to be come Spring and kick the BAH HUMBUGS to the curb

Cindy - Wish I was going to the Breast Cancer run with you, sounds like a great time.  One of my favorite Aunts passed away from breast cancer when I was only 8.  I know the best part of your run will be helping your friend get excited about getting in shape.  My oldest needs some inspiration, will have to think of something he & I can do to jump start his weight loss, he just broke up with his girlfriend so it could be tough

It sounds like most of us are getting going after the Holidays, for those that need inspiration I say:

I've been sick most of the week but still went to work and still worked out, sore throat Mon, Tues, Wed.  Wednesday it snowed 4 inches and I came home and shoveled for 1 1/2 hours.  Woke up in the middle of the night coughing and hacking, woke up and went to work, then worked out.  Then went home and took a nap, sissy that I am.  I just didn't want to stop working out because I know one missed day leads to two, at least for me.

My husbands work makes him sign up for vacation first thing so we have already planned our first week.  We are going bike riding in June, were talking 30 miles a day so I have to get going, didn't have to be in shape tell September last year.  

Just want to say welcome to anyone that happens by this thread that doesn't usually read it, please come join us!  Be it as someone already said, 10 minutes a day or more doesn't matter, just get going!  Drill Sgt. Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #641 on: January 13, 2011, 10:16:18 pm »
JILL!! so good to see you! you have (as always) said a lot of wise and encouraging things. i hope you feel 100% better soon. i may ask you some questions about biking details and all once the weather gets warmer and i'm trying to bike some too.

Jan - i know you'll get back to it... you always do. that's what i admire so much about you. you don't quit. there may be some breaks because of life in general, but you don't quit!

when saturday comes around i'll be coming to you all for some encouragement and accountability....

keri

My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #642 on: January 13, 2011, 10:28:38 pm »
I will get back to it.  The quote Keri gave us is so true.

I've always found that the hardest part of running is getting out the door, but once I do I'm thankful I did.

Just a lot of stuff going on in my life right now  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #643 on: January 15, 2011, 09:43:19 am »
jan... thanks for sharing and i hope things are better soon. it's hard to prioritize exercise and the time for it when other things are happening, and in our case, that usually involves kids and their problems.

i am putting off running and i really need to get out the door. it's so hard to do a long run on a saturday when you don't get out early.

yell at me later if i don't report back that i had a good long run.

keri
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #644 on: January 15, 2011, 10:08:58 am »
Hey Keri....I'll yell at you. Get out there and run!!! I bet your family can make do for an hour or so. Don't put it off....I've been out there this morning and it was great. Don't know what your weather is, but it's about 50 here in between rain showers....good running weather for me.

Everybody get active and be safe.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.