Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421014 times)

Keri

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1335 on: January 28, 2013, 05:13:10 pm »
That's great, Jan!! You are going to inspire me now, because I need to be inspired. Haven't been doing too much - it is because of an injury, but I need to at least get walking or biking or something!

I'm glad it's helping you with stress.  I hope your stress gets better. I don't know if it's kids, work, all of the above or none of the above, but working out in some way does help.

Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #1336 on: January 29, 2013, 02:18:34 pm »
Yes, good for you, Jan!  Keep going - I also find it really does help with "life" and all it throws you...

Come on, Keri!  Yes, as the title you gave this thread long ago  - "do something"  :D

I think I am finally back on track after holidays, sickness, etc.  We (my 3 girlfriends and I) are doing the breast cancer 1/2 marathon in Jax again this year - our 4th year...It's in 3 weeks and we have done little to NO training...we may crawl across the finish line, but we will finish!

How's everybody else doing?  Soundy?  Kaybo?  Patrick, how was your marathon?  Karen, skiing!  Awesome!  Others?  Come on in and join us!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

texsooner

« Reply #1337 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:03 am »
completed the marathon in good shape and did it in 3:56, beating my goal of a sub-4 hour marathon. thanks

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1338 on: March 13, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »
I have fell off the wagon and it ran over me...

I have gained weight...about 20 pounds... I have been walking some but not enough...

I have had alot of muscle spasms in my back that will double me over... have a $129 pillow system to sllep on to hold in a bent position to stretch my spine...it helps but eventually I habe to stand and it doesn'take long to start hurting again...doc says wait it out and it will go away....but 20 pounds later I am ready to scream...

I need inspiration to get back in motion ... getting  depressed over it...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

volleymom

• had pressure on my Pons
« Reply #1339 on: March 14, 2013, 10:08:16 pm »
I tried my first beginners tai chi class today.  I carefully positioned myself on the left side of the room, to make sure I could hear.  When the movements got complicated, I found myself at the front, with nobody to follow, and I couldn't see the instructor!  It was a class of mostly older and elderly women, they welcomed me and encouraged me to come again.  I do need to attend regularly, to challenge my balance skills and brain, and it was fun.
I have been swimming laps, stationary bike, and weight lifting for about 2 months now.  Tai chi classes are included at my athletic club.  I just wish they were later in the day, since I work night shift. 
9mm X 16mm diagonsed in August 2009.  Retrosigmoid Nov, 2009 at OHSU in Portland, OR.
post-op had some facial nerve weakness, nearly resolved. Mild tinnitus. Left sided deafness.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1340 on: March 15, 2013, 06:04:50 am »
Way to go Kathy!

I have been going to a Chair Yoga class for a year now, during which the instructor includes some tai chi.  It has been extremely beneficial to improving my balance and my safety!  The yoga is modified to do not only while sitting in a chair, but also standing beside or behind the chair so it is readily available to touch for security, when needed.  I highly recommend it to those of us with compromised balance issues.  I would like to try a tai chi class so you have given me encouragement to look for a good class for me.

I go to the gym three times a week to walk on the treadmill (tried, but cannot handle the ARC) and then do a number of Nautilus machines and that keeps me mobile.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wiscyrunner

« Reply #1341 on: March 15, 2013, 08:56:58 am »
I'll join your group, I'm new here & up until a couple of months ago spent most of my computer time on running forums.
Since being diagnosed in November running has taken a back seat but that's not necessarily a bad thing as I was probably too compulsive about it.  I've run 13 marathons & took a break after running Boston & turned my focus to racing half marathons.  I really like that distance & I  run several a year. 
I'm scheduled for  surgery at Mayo May 22  & decided to run one new race each month until surgery from 5K's to a half marathon.  I'm a true believer that exercise, in whatever form it takes, is  a great stress reliever & when you've been diagnosed with an AN it certainly creates some stress.  I do worry about what will happen post surgery but my hope is that if I go in as strong & healthy as possible my return to activity will be quicker.
Essentially I'm training for surgery much like I would a marathon, I want to go in as prepared as possible. 
Good to see others finding an activity they enjoy post AN, keep up the good work & if you ever want to talk running (or biking or tennis) count me in!

Anne

Kaybo

« Reply #1342 on: March 16, 2013, 02:25:51 pm »
As most of you know from FB, I have joined a group of ladies here in the neighborhood running every MWF morning.  I guess I have been doing it about 2 weeks now - even though this last week we were by ourselves since we were scattered b/c of Spring Break here in Texas.  Proud to say I got 3 runs in and walked a few miles with my mom another day.  We run at least 3 miles when we go.  I have also started "Clean Eating" and so there have been some MAJOR changes around our house.  Overall, we all feel GREAT!!  Two of the curly girlies have REALLY embraced the changes well...one...not so much, BUT we are making progress!

Soundy - I know you know this, but try to walk a  little bit more each day until you build back up.  I am a FIRM believer in walking back into shape...and a little sunshine & fresh air don't hurt!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #1343 on: March 24, 2013, 09:35:03 am »
Almost zero cartilage in knees...

Have been sitting in yard with ankle weights lifting legs...playing in dirt getting ready to plant veggies .... more than a walk around yard kicks my tail... do better going to town and using a shopping cart as a walker and doing laps around walmart or home depot...only places big enough for this...it's something even if not enough

Hannah is running 5k next week...she's out of practice a bit due to flu followed by strep throat followed by stomach virus...not sure she's up to it... we'll see

Translab July 2 ,2007

kerijacobs

« Reply #1344 on: April 15, 2013, 09:35:11 pm »
OK... I haven't been on in a while.
I'm going to hit enter and see if I'm logged in right.
Keri

kerijacobs

« Reply #1345 on: April 15, 2013, 09:36:06 pm »
OK, I'm not!!! going to try again.

Anne ! Would love to talk to you about AN's and marathons. I've done a bunch of marathons too.

Keri

Keri

« Reply #1346 on: April 15, 2013, 09:39:51 pm »
OK, I think this is me!

I feel kind of badly I haven't kept up with this thread. So much going on and so many of us stay in contact through Facebook.

I feel like I need to catch up here.

Glad some of you are still checking in!

I feel so badly about the Boston marathon today - such terrible news. I'm going to go write about it... some of my memories, because it's related to my AN experience.

So sad; praying for all involved.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

wiscyrunner

« Reply #1347 on: April 16, 2013, 12:26:55 pm »
So very sad.  The Boston Marathon holds a special place in my heart for many reasons, one of those being the fantastic crowd support along the course.  To have these innocent people targeted in such a tragic event deals an emotional blow on many levels.
My friends from our running group who were out there are all safe & tomorrow I'll see them.  What would typically be an evening of celebration & race stories will be much somber as our thoughts & prayers go out to all affected by this.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #1348 on: April 16, 2013, 04:11:30 pm »
So very sad.  The Boston Marathon holds a special place in my heart for many reasons, one of those being the fantastic crowd support along the course.  To have these innocent people targeted in such a tragic event deals an emotional blow on many levels.
My friends from our running group who were out there are all safe & tomorrow I'll see them.  What would typically be an evening of celebration & race stories will be much somber as our thoughts & prayers go out to all affected by this.

Yes so very sad such a tragedy as well as here in NY with 9/11 along with Washington D.C. and must not forget Pennsyvlania all these innocent lives we are not safe anywhere and this has affected so many of us in different ways. Now I wonder if we were safe from this terror for the NY Marathon due to storm Sandy which ours was cancelled just a thought and we will never know. Prayers go out to those lives lost and everyone who was wounded life will never be what we once knew and always have to look over our shoulders makes having an AN seem minor and for us to count our blessings.
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Soundy

« Reply #1349 on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:17 am »
I didn't run, I walked a little and I did something

We went camping with church over weekend...we were in state park...we walked a trail back to water fall...it was pretty from my vantage point off to the side ... the kids climbed down to bottom....One  boy had my camera and couldn't figure it out

I looked and tail down and dissuaded I could do it... by holding on to bushes and taking it slow I made it down...the whole time I had a dozen people telling me why I shouldn't do it.... now at bottom I took pictures off kids climbing up along side the falls...

OK.... now I have to go back up....I climbed up the rocks next to the falls...it was so steep that with just leaning a little, not bending over, I could touch the rock face... so with good gripping shoes and gripping rock face I climbed out unassisted until last step... there was an over hang with ledge at my waist height....so last step was 3 feet high.... I turned around standing on a foot square rock sticking out and kinda hopped back wards like a kid would hop up on a bed or chair that is high for them.... I scooted back and had to have help to get back to standing

Fighting to keep balance made every muscle I have ache and gave me a headache that after Tylenol didn't work had me reaching for hydro codone that did.... was it worth the aches and pain to do a little rock climbing?  HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!

I got home around 4:30 Sunday afternoon and took a hot shower and a pain pill and lay down... next thing I know it was 5:30 and Bo woke me up to get kids off to school... ate breakfast and crawled back in bed til noon... probably not the best way to challenge myself but great all the same... with all issues and the fact age is catching up to me.i figure it won't be long til I can't do stuff like this...so if opportunity comes along and I am 90% sure I can beat I figure I will go for it....

I should add that the climb down was about 40 feet from top to landing and the climb up next to fall was only 25 feet or so... not big climbs but big enough to smart if you fell
Translab July 2 ,2007