Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421374 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1290 on: July 28, 2012, 12:05:34 pm »
Soundy ~

Your account of the past week at band camp sounds exhausting but I totally support your determination to partake of life and not just be an observer.  You also seem to have great stamina as well as a steely determination to do what you want to do to be a part of your girl's lives.  Good for you! 

I've always enjoyed good health - except for that pesky 4.5 cm AN thing back in '06 - but my wife has not.  She has undergone many spinal surgeries and has other problems that she almost never mentions.  Like you, she has always been determined to take an active part in life and not allow her physical deficits to sideline her.  She has said that she only gets one chance at living and she doesn't intend to spend it sitting in a chair and complaining.  Our son is grown and on his own but she was always there for him, be it a school event or simply helping him finish his homework.  She is very active in our church and an invaluable help to me in my role as the Deacon overseeing our 'benevolence' (charity) ministry.  Her social life is admittedly more active than mine but I want her to enjoy the company of her female friends and the camaraderie they share.  She takes a lot of pills (no narcotics) and sometimes winces in pain but she forges on and I deeply admire and respect her tenacity and strength as she does so.  You appear to have a similar outlook and I admire you for that.  I believe that folks like you are an inspiration to those AN patients struggling with post-op/radiation issues or simply concerns for life after surgery or radiation.

Thanks for the update - and may the rest of your summer be just as rewarding but a bit less physically demanding.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1291 on: July 30, 2012, 09:09:04 am »
Like your wife, I figure I have one life to life and will live it not watch the world spin.

My baby is turning 13 today. :( .... I figure soon enough the girls will be grown and out of the house and even before that they won't want mom around. Have to enjoy them and life while I can. School starts Wednesday and I will be back in my volunteer mode and look again for part time work as money is tight.  I Am looking for a replacement as my role as PTO president. No luck as of yet. Want to do the work without the headaches that go with the title.

And I must get back into a regular walking/ workout schedule.

Right now lets go get stuff to bake a cake. Got Sarah a Kindle Fire. I save change in a jar and use it for extras. From Valentines Day til now i saved $223 from emptying my pockets of change daily. I never give anyone change when I pay. If it is $3.37 I give them $4 and pocket change to add to jar. If I make several stops it can add up. The KF and case was $256 so wasn't out much.
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Keri

« Reply #1292 on: August 15, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »
Jim and Soundy,
Thanks for sharing your stories (or Jim - about your wife, Tina). I'm a runner and have friends of an obsessive nature - running this or that marathon or whatever and, although our sub group is on the 'slow' side, there are those in our larger training group that can put down some very fast times on track or can qualify for the Boston marathon over and over.

But, the people I admire the most and who inspire me are the ones who stay active when it's tough ('active' being defined as walking, running, whatever) - the people that overcome challenges to do so. The challenges may be physical - my mom struggled with MS and walked with a brace and cane but still walked and led a very active life - or they may be more geared towards a season of life - i.e., the mom who has toddlers but finds a way to try to walk or run, or another person who struggles with weight but still gets out there and moves. Or the person so busy with work that they work out, then quit for a bit, but then start again and don't give up.

Thanks for sharing!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1293 on: August 22, 2012, 09:40:36 am »
Still just in putter mode.....we are starting to cool down here for fall and will try to start regular walking schedule again... we have a fundraiser walk in October here at school.....have to at least be able  to keep up with the kids
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1294 on: August 24, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »
Have to confess.  Have totally fallen off the exercise wagon - again :(

Feet are feeling fine - my biggest issue is my knees (almost 51 years old and one definitely has arthritis).

Health club membership is going to waste.  New plan is to start going again tomorrow and hope to keep myself motivated to return on a regular basis.

Kudos to those who keep working out - and doing wonderful things like running those marathons, taking those long distance bike rides, etc. 

I aspire to be one of you!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

skipg

« Reply #1295 on: August 24, 2012, 06:40:58 pm »
Need some information from you exercise and activity fanatics: have you noticed any different head feelings after your pulse and blood pressure increase as a result of increased activity. Did any of your Docs advise you to slow down for a period of time either before or after your treatments?
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Kaybo

« Reply #1296 on: August 24, 2012, 06:52:28 pm »
Jan~
I have taken a hiatus too - mostly because my foot got so bad I had to stop for a while (still working on that but with stretches, ice and Alieve - I have faith it will get much better!!) and then our CRAZY travel plans didn't help!  Starting Monday back strong since the girls start school (sad about that  :'() and we will be back on a schedule...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1297 on: August 24, 2012, 06:55:35 pm »
Kay, glad to know I'm not alone.

My kids started school Wednesday and today (Friday) we are all exhausted.  They are not used to getting up early and I am used to sleeping at least an hour later.

Good luck with your foot, mine seems to have resolved itself - stretching was the trick.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1298 on: August 25, 2012, 05:23:11 pm »
I am SO happy to say that I can finally get both of my feet into sneakers after nearly six weeks off between losing my toenail and that pesky cat bite. Returned to the gym last week and hope to continue this week. It felt great and I really need to get rid of some pudge.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #1299 on: August 28, 2012, 07:20:39 am »
Glad to hear all of you with your foot troubles, etc, are looking to get back on the exercise wagon!  It's so tough to get back to it...I continue to get to the gym most days, but as I told my husband just yesterday - I never look forward to going, but am always so glad I did when I'm finished ;D 

Skip, to your question, I have many days when my head is "off" (wonky), as do many here on the forum, but I make myself get going and head on to the gym despite not feeling well...I have ALWAYS felt better after exercising (or playing tennis or dancing).  Things seem to recalibrate the more active I am.  Of course, immed post-op, I did not do anything but walk.  Pre-op, however, I was very active...

Got to head to the gym now :)  Get going, everyone!

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

skipg

« Reply #1300 on: August 28, 2012, 07:45:21 am »
Cindy, Thanks. The reason for my question is that when I do anything strenuous and my pulse quickens and bp goes up, I feel more fullness in my head, nothing painful or disabling just a different feeling and sometimes the wonky head gets worse. Nothing I cant live with until we do treatments.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #1301 on: August 28, 2012, 08:00:25 am »
Cindy, Thanks. The reason for my question is that when I do anything strenuous and my pulse quickens and bp goes up, I feel more fullness in my head, nothing painful or disabling just a different feeling and sometimes the wonky head gets worse. Nothing I cant live with until we do treatments.
Skip

I feel the same worse if I forget and try to lift something too heavy and suffer more than normal for a few days the pressure gets so bad it feels like a balloon and it is going to burst. I also have difficulty breathing as if not enough oxygen is going to the brain and that one startles me?

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

It is what it is

« Reply #1302 on: September 08, 2012, 07:20:36 am »
Yes, I'd say that counts!!!!!  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

cindyj

« Reply #1303 on: September 20, 2012, 01:16:51 pm »
Hey, all!  What's everyone up to?  Know some had fallen off the wagon - are you back on?  Some with foot issues - better?  Others?  It's almost holiday time - toughest part of the year to stay disciplined!  I just love all those chocolate covered marshmallow Santa's which will be in stores soon - ugh!  Need to start gearing up to resist :-\ 

Did a spinning class at the gym earlier this week for the first time - WOW was that tough!  Didn't think I'd even get thru the class - was hard (the workout and the seat ::) ), hot and was done in a darkened room (is that normal for spin classes?)...you guys know what the dark can do to us ANers...anyway, I'll try it again, but not sure I liked it ???

Had a tennis match today - much more fun ;D

Let us know what you are all up to!

cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

It is what it is

« Reply #1304 on: September 21, 2012, 06:21:43 pm »
Hi Cindy and all,

Your spinning class sounds challenging.  I wouldn't want to try that in a darkened room.  I've been kayaking, hiking and paddle boarding.  Very fun to be outdoors and breathing fresh air.  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.