Author Topic: My Four Week Post Op report...  (Read 6853 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
My Four Week Post Op report...
« on: January 06, 2010, 10:40:57 pm »
Greetings one and all! Well, here it is...four weeks since the big day.  It's been quite a ride but I am happy to say that I think things are  slowly getting better.  The wobbliness seems to be a bit less. I can ride in vehicles and better concentrate on things, but if I let it the bobble-head syndrome returns until I reign it in again.  My jaw still won't open very far open...it made everyone laugh as I was trying to eat a chocolate truffle and it wouldn't go in past my teeth...here I was pushing it in and it kept going thunk thunk against my teeth.  A knife solved that problem (cut the truffle in half!) but it's still there.  The hair's growing back and covers more of the scar.  Speaking of the scar, I was checking it out today and notice two ends of a  stitch poking through, they didn't get it all the way out. So I need to get a hold of the doctor and find out if it's something I can do on my own.  I am getting out and doing more things, and needing less naps...getting to sleep is a challege, once I do though I am ok.  So all in all, getting better, although slowly.  Still not sure if I will be ready to go back to work around the first week of February, but we shall see.
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

moe

Re: My Four Week Post Op report...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:57:01 pm »
Excellent news!
You are doing great for four weeks post op. Give it at least 6 weeks to 2 months okay? I actually did not experience the wonky headed thingy, but I'm sure you don't want to be going back to work with that.
What is your line of work? That is a month away, so hopefully you'll be good to go.
Keep up the great recovery! And continue with your walks. Naps ARE ok ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:30:40 am »
  It's been quite a ride but I am happy to say that I think things are  slowly getting better.  The wobbliness seems to be a bit less. I can ride in vehicles and better concentrate on things, but if I let it the bobble-head syndrome returns until I reign it in again.  My jaw still won't open very far open... 

Still not sure if I will be ready to go back to work around the first week of February, but we shall see.

Jaylogs,

For 2 months, after surgery, car rides seemed like the hurl-a-whirl at an amusement park- to me  :P... nausea and all. Now I am going to water slides, by choice, with my youngest at the pool (yahoo!) and I again think the Ferris wheel is a gas... (Whoopee!) ;D :D

I remember food falling out of my mouth- then getting stuck. Actually chocolate tasted disgusting  :P at first- after surgery (you are a step ahead where I was) Now I have become a chocolate-aholic... like the others AN'ers and pirates.  I could not control my face and tongue and often drooled  :-[... now I am blowing bubbles with gum (shh don't let my former students know)... and have gained much more facial and tongue control.

The brain is very plastic and will re-train and compensate...

Trust me healing happens and these will improve... and like me you can enjoy regressing to childhood.  ;) :D Speaking of childhood regression- similar to kindergarteners know it is totally OK to take naps when you need them (or start to get cranky from overstimulation)

Based on this 4 week report I am confident that with time, patience and perseverance you will be blowing bubble gum and riding the merry-go-round by the 4th of July... and will become a true chocolate-aholic like us veteran posties... Pace yourself and take kindergarten naps when needed.

If you do truly do not feel ready for February’s return to work ask for a medical extension- if you can. Taking the time you need now, to heal, will pay for itself and will get you back on track more effectively. I truly feel that being able to rest when I needed to, in the 1st 6 months, really made a big difference.

In the mean time try getting a bottle of bubbles and start blowing. This activity will help to start fire nerves up... and may make you giggle in the process. If you are embarrassed and feel silly doing this exercise by yourself... you could always invite over the neighborhood preschooler ... they will think you are the coolest grown-up around.

Daisy Head Mazy

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:17:26 am »
Great news, Jay!

It sounds like you are doing very well.  I'm sorry, but I did giggle at your truffle ordeal.  Haha.  I'm sure that your jaw will improve with time.  I hope you continue to recover swiftly and when work time gets here you are fully ready to return, or in the alternative, that you are able to get an extension if you need it. 

It has been so nice to see so many of the people who had surgery around the same time as me doing so well.  I consider us all "success stories" in our own ways. 

Oh, and as for the stitches?  Ouch!  Hopefully they get that taken care of.  It sounds like it might be annoying.   :(

Keep getting better!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 07:26:15 am »
Sounds like you're moving along! Great news!
Don't stress too much about getting back to work at the end of february. Either it'll happen or it won't, but you'll get there eventually. I'm 15 weeks postop now and still haven't been back. I wont say it hasn't been an ordeal but at least I don't feel like a failure because of it anymore. We all heal on our own time and I"m just now starting to feel "normal" enough to do my job competently.
I have the mouth opening trouble still, too. Napkins are a necessity now! I'm always getting food all over my face while I try to put in "normal" sized bites.  :P You're not alone!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

Michelle K

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 11:42:37 am »
Hi Jaylogs,

I'm scheduled for translab with Dr.Brackmann and Schwartz on 2/2/10.  I must tell you that your successful outcome partially influenced my decision to go with the HEI. So, I thank you for sharing on this forum.  Any words of wisdom, in retrospect, you could give about your experience at HEI?  My family will be staying at Seton House while I'm in the hospital.  Did that work well for you? 

Michelle
1.7cmx1.23cmx.8mm, diagnosed Nov 11, 2009. Translab surgery completed w/ Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Brackmann, and Dr. Ursich (fellow) at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, CA, on 2/2/10.  SSD (no hearing preservation attempted), very mild balance issues, no facial issues, counting my lucky stars so far!

Sobes

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:30:39 pm »
Glad to hear the great news Jay!  :D I too am having difficulty with getting things into my mouth...chewing is easy, but opening wide enough for a small sandwich or piece of fruit isn't. Any suggestions on how to get these muscles to open up? Can they be retrained? Hmmm...

Everything you said in your post I can relate to...except the stitches  :) Hope they can get that taken care of very soon for you! I want to try out the suggestion of making the font bigger too, but will have to wait 'til hubby gets home as I cannot seem to figure it out  ??? !

Are you sleeping flat or are you still at an angle? My docs have had me sleeping at a 40-50* angle since surgery and said that now I can lay a little flatter if I want but not completely. I'm a bit scared to though because of all the swelling I have right now. Were you given the same instructions?

Sounds like you are having pretty good progress for the most part and this is such great news! Hope we can talk more soon and compare our recovery notes! lol  ;D

Bren~
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

Kaybee

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:35:14 pm »
I remember wondering after surgery if I would ever get to 4 weeks.  It's a significant milestone!  Congrats on the good reocvery.  I'm 9 weeks (10 weeks tomorrow!) post surgery and your post reminded me of how far I've come in the last 6 weeks.  I have no head wobbles ever anymore even after leaning over to pick something up. I need far fewer napkins when I eat and can get most bites in my mouth except of course hamburgers and other big sandwiches.  But I question why I ever needed a bite that big.   ;)

Keep up the good work!

Kay
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 02:14:49 pm »
Thanks all for the support and encouragement.  Bren...the doctors never really mentioned anything about my sleeping position...I usually start off flat and then go completely to my non AN side, and then pretty much flip flop back and forth until I finally fall asleep. Kaybee, you mentioned hamburgers...I just had one last night...what a challenge that was...cut it up, squish it down as thin as possible...insert...lol.  I don't know if everyone knows this (especially the newbies coming along), the Middle Fossa approach they have to cut a jaw muscle to gain access to the skull...hence the jaw movement issues we all have to deal with.  I was glad someone told me that before I went in because the surgeons may or may not tell ya that.  Anyways....again, thank you all for the wonderful words of encouragement!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Lilan

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 06:24:44 pm »
I remember eating chicken fries at the Burger King near House b/c they were the smallest thing! I certainly couldn't have gotten my mouth around a burger.

You'll probably still see rapid improvement week to week for another month, or even two, so it's very hard to predict how you'll feel in three or four weeks... You just have to wait and see. I was really not ready to go back at 61/2 weeks, almost couldn't imagine it, and at 71/2 went back and it was fine.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Wwoodian

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 06:52:48 pm »
Good for you Jay!  Congrats on the wonderful recovery.  I had my surgery at House too--they are so well organized.  My mouth still won't open perfectly--I'm at 6 1/2 weeks, but it didn't seem to stop me from eating every wonderful Christmas treat!
Hope that your recovery continues so well.
Jill
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

another NY postie

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 07:09:37 pm »
Jay, you sound great and you will be amazed at how far you will come in the next four weeks...I am at week 15 and have absolutely no jaw issues...I am trying to remember when I could finally open my mouth fully, but I can't...it has been awhile now - definitely before Thanksgiving so that will resolve itself too...just keep stretching it...I had a stitch pop through, too, I guess - remember I asked my physical therapist if it was a scab and she said it was stitch and I never did anything with it and it went away or fell out/dissolved...she also had me massaging the scar area pretty hard at 3-4 weeks which I didn't like at first because it was tender and kind of grossed me out ...but I have to say my scar is completely flush to my scalp now so I think that helped too by breaking up the tissue.  Rest up and Happy Healing!
Cheryl. 
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 07:30:46 pm »
Jay -

for 4 weeks post op you are doing very well; most docs say that recovery takes about 6 weeks.  The issues you are dealing with now will be a distant memory at some point in time.

I'm wondering if you really do have the ends of a stitch or two sticking out.  For some strange reason a lot of forumites think this post op, but it turns out to be something else.  You should check with your doctor though just to make sure.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybee

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:04:14 am »
Thanks Jay for the explanation about the jaw for the middle fossa approach.  I had no idea.  I guess you and I can't eat hamburgers for entirely different reasons!  Nevertheless, good luck...you will be eating Big Macs in no time.   ;)
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

cyrmom2

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 02:27:32 pm »
Hi Jay.
I had a few stitches that did not dissolve so my doctor pulled them for me.  One was kind of long and stuck - but it did not hurt.

Glad to hear you're doing well already!
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.