Author Topic: Marie is a postie!  (Read 10346 times)

epc1970

Marie is a postie!
« on: December 28, 2009, 02:09:16 pm »
I just heard from Marie's mom in law and Marie is out of surgery and according to her Dr  it was very successful. I don't know a whole lot except that she is doing fine and resting in ICU-they were are to spare the facial nerve and remove the entire tumor. I do not know about hearing or balance yet.  The Dr expects her to be released from the hospital by Thursday-just in time to celebrate the New Year at home! I wiil post further updates as I get them!
Erin

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Marie is a postie!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 02:18:08 pm »
Wonderful News!
Sending healing thoughts her way!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:14:18 pm »
Erin ~

Thank you so much for that update on Marie!  Fabulous news, too!  I hope she is released by Thursday and I trust she'll have a rapid and complete recovery.  We await her first post.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:53:10 pm »
My prayers are with her for a speedy recovery and it would be better if they do release her because the hospitals are so understaffed for the Holidays and weekends it would definitely be better for her to recoup in her own home.  Just make sure to get any medications the doctor's prescribe even if she feels that some of them she might not want it is better to have them available then trying to find a doctor over the Holiday weekend..

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 05:59:13 pm »
That is a great call Pat-I will make sure her mom in law has the meds under control so she has them right off. She has a great famliy that is willing to do whatever they can to make sure she is comfortable and well taken care of.
Erin

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:24:27 pm »
That is a great call Pat-I will make sure her mom in law has the meds under control so she has them right off. She has a great famliy that is willing to do whatever they can to make sure she is comfortable and well taken care of.
Erin

Thanks, I only know that because of experience one time after surgery for something else years ago I thought I was superwoman and found out the hard way I was not...
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 09:36:46 pm »
Yay, Marie!!!!  Sending lots of love and prayers.  I knew you would do great.  Congratulations on being a postie.  I'm also sending lots of prayers for your speedy recovery.

And Erin, thanks so much for the update.  I've been thinking about her.  So nice to hear she is doing well.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 09:40:46 pm »
Tell Marie good job! I am sure the Magic Scarf she got from me did the trick! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 08:26:42 am »
Congratulations, Marie.

Looking forward to hearing from you as a postie!  ;D

Thanks for the update, Erin.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 02:03:26 pm »
Congratulations on becoming a “postie” Marie!

Thanks Erin for keeping us posted. We are glad to hear all went well with the surgery and that Marie will be able to bring the new year in at home with her family.

We will be keeping good thoughts and prayers heading her way and are looking forward to her first post.

Scarlett & Rich
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

epc1970

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 11:59:21 am »
I spoke with Marie's mom in law yesterday afternoon and it sounds like Marie is "enjoying" a little of the good old "first 3 days" of postiehood: some vomiting, hip pain from positioning and head and neck pain. She has not been up walking yet due to the hip pain so any balance issues are still unknown. She was supposed to be moved out of ICU but there are no rooms available for her to go to so she is hanging out in ICU for now but has her A line out and is off most of the monitors and is off IV pain meds.  Her doctors are pleased with her progress so far. I asked her mom in law to convey the well wished of the forum-I know that will make Marie's day! I will continue to update until Marie can update you all herself!
Erin

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 04:04:50 pm »
Erin ~

We appreciate the update on Marie and I'm pleased to learn that she seems to be doing well.  I had a similar experience, spending 4 of my 5 days in the hospital in the ICU (at $5,500. per day) because they didn't have any semi-private rooms available.  I trust that Marie's infamous 'First Three Days' will speed by and that she'll be up and about, soon, minus the hip pain and nausea, of course.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 04:22:20 pm »
Thanks for the update on Marie ..... sounds like she is doing well ..... and that's what we wanted to hear!

Thoughts and prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 04:33:20 pm »
Poor Marie.  I feel for her.  Those first few days really aren't fun, but once they are over they are over and it does get so much easier.  Tell her to keep her spirits up and she will feel much better in no time.  Still sending prayers, love, and get well soon wishes. 

I know the ICU is more expensive, but I almost wished I was back once they moved me into a regular room.  The ICU nurses at my hospital were at my beck and call and I had to wait longer to get meds on the floor.  So it might be a blessing that she's where she is still getting more attentive care.  Trying to see the bright side anyway!

Get better soon, Marie!!!!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

epc1970

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 05:22:30 pm »
Must be a trend....I spent my entire hospital stay in ICU because they did not have a room available. Like Lyn said, I actually prefered life in ICU once  I didn't really have to be there.  Great care there  ;D When billing time came, I disputed the ICU room charge because I had orders to be moved-not my fault there were no other rooms-and the charges were adjusted-my insurance company loved me for that when they received a big credit from the hospital!
Erin