Author Topic: New Postie  (Read 11622 times)

Sobes

New Postie
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:07:26 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am writing on behalf of my wife Brenda who had her surgery yesterday.  Please bear with me as I try to do my best to update everyone until she is able to herself. 

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for this wonderful site.  It is and remains a tremendous place of support, information and sense of community for my wife and I.

Brenda had a Mid Fossa approach to remove a 8mm AN.  Surgery took approximately 5 1/2 hours and everything went extremely well.  They were able to remove the entire tumor while preserving the facial and hearing nerves.  The doctors believe she will have normal facial function but unsure yet at this point how much hearing loss she will have.  This is really her first day in recovery and like most others on here, it has been rough.  She had a temp resulting in her being extremely warm all night.  Her biggest concerns have been migraines and nausea that contributed to her vomiting twice last night.  She has been getting meds to help with this, but they were conservative last night and much of the morning until they could obtain a post surgery MRI.  We were told the first 48 hours would be the roughest for her.  As of 11am today, she seems to be resting better and I hoping she can continue on that path through this difficult stretch.  Through all of this, I am totally amazed at Brenda's courage and strength - she is my hero!

That is all for now.  I know if she could, she would be excited to announce that she is now an official postie!

We thank everyone for their continued support and prayers.

Bret
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

Lynn Mc

Re: New Postie
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:19:16 pm »
Bret,

Please tell Brenda my thoughts and prayers are with you both this Holiday Season. 

Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:45:06 pm »
Hi Bret,

It sounds like Bren is doing very well.  That's great news ;D

I was in your shoes nine months ago, so I know how you are feeling.  The day after surgery Scarlett was still loaded with meds. and mostly out of it.  However, the third day was like someone flipped a switch, she was eating, and up and around a little.  I trust Brenda will improve just as fast.

It's easy to forget about yourself right now.  So, remember to take care of yourself, eat and get your rest.  We care about you too ;)

Thank you very much for the update.

Thinking of you both,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:49:56 pm »
Give her my best!

We're all pulling for her to have a quick recovery.
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:56:37 pm »
Bret,

Thanks for the update!  We all really appreciate hearing news when someone has surgery or other treatments..

Whoever told you that the first 48 hours were the roughest was spot on..  We like to say around here that the first 3 days after surgery don't count..  So, you're just confirming that for us..  After the first 3 days, things will slowly but surely get better.

I'm glad they were able to get the entire thing and that the facial and hearing nerves were spared in the process.  It sounds like she's well on her way..

Congratulations to you both!  Welcome Bren to Postieland for us!

Thanks,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 02:51:38 pm »
My prayers are with you both the caregiver plays a very important role in the healing process and it sounds like you will be her rock. I am hoping that she will have minimal side effects, so far great news about the facial nerve and hopefully her hearing will come back.

Again my prayers,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 03:14:26 pm »
Bret ~

Thanks so much for making the effort to update a large group of people that were praying for and thinking of Brenda as she underwent her AN surgery.  It's a big relief to learn that she is through the surgery and appears to be doing well, with no real complications.  This is great news!  I'm sorry to read that your wife had a rough first (post-op) night but this is quite common with AN surgery.  I hope today is a better day for Bren.  She is a valued member and contributor to the ANA discussion forums and we're all rooting for her as she begins her recovery.  You may have to 'pick up the slack' for awhile, but I'm sure that Brenda will be back to her old self in no time.  Please let her know that me and a whiole bunch of folks are thinking of her right now.  We're looking forward to seeing her first 'postie' message!  :)

By the way, get some rest yourself and stay strong for Brenda.  We're a very supportive group but I'll bet she appreciates your support, the most. ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 03:19:15 pm »
Thank you so much for the update!!!  I have been thinking about Bren and it is so nice to hear that she is doing well.  Please send her all of my love and prayers for her fast recovery.  I'm not surprised, after getting to know her some, that she is going through this like the tough lady she is.  Also, I'm praying for her hearing!!!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 03:53:12 pm »
Bret~
Thank you so much for providing us with an update - give Brenda our love and sending healing thoughts her way!  Take care of YOU so you can take care of HER!!  ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tamster

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 04:48:03 pm »
Thanks for the update. I hope the next 24 hours are much better for her and am so grateful that her outcome seems so positive. What wonderful news! Merry Christmas to you both!

Tam
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

another NY postie

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 05:20:03 pm »
What a great holiday present for both of you - a successful surgery!  She should be feeling much better in a day or two.  Please let her know that I am thrilled that she did so well and wishing her a speedy and uneventful recovery!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 06:00:31 pm »
Bret -

thanks for updating us on Brenda; sounds like things are pretty typical for this soon in her recovery. 

Please give her my best.  Don't forget to take care of yourself during her recovery, as family members often find the whole AN experience just as stressful as the patient.

Merry Christmas,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

epc1970

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 06:33:45 pm »
Bret
Thank you for the wonderful news that Brenda is doing well and had a successful surgery. I was checking around the forum earlier to see if there was any news yet about how she was doing. Her first night sounds alot like mine and as others have said it will get better. This will be a Christmas that you both will remember for a long time! Give my best to Brenda and a hearty congrats on officially being a "postie"!
Erin

gordy

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 07:06:29 pm »
best wishes to a speedy recovery.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 11:39:37 pm »
 :) Yeah Bret I'm so glad to find this posting from you!  Bren had been posting on my blog since my surgery 11/9, then we've been private messaging, turned to e-mail, then facebooked  ;D   

SOOOOOOOOO  Happy she made it through surgery o.k.   Please give her a great big hug from Denise in Michigan and wish her Merry Christmas from me.   Tell her sorry we never got to talk on the phone like we planned.   I wan't feeling great and she was working a lot.   Be sure she gets her rest!

Take care and keep us posted!!  I was so nervous based on some of her latest posts, so sounds as if things went better than planned.  Good thing!

Don't forgot my big HUG!!
Denise Sanford..............from across the lake  ;)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI