Author Topic: Selecting a Baha  (Read 3731 times)

Muizen

Selecting a Baha
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:18:58 am »
Last Monday abutments have been placed behind both my ears for attaching in a few months time, a Cochlear BP100 or (more likely) an Intenso.
I just discovered that another Baha exists the Oticon Ponto Pro.
I first of all wonder whether the Cochlear abutment will also fit a Oticon Ponto Pro. If so, in addition whether there are objective comparisons of the effectiveness of the Intenso and the Oticon Ponto Pro?
Thank you for being of advise!
Harry

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Selecting a Baha
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »
Hi Harry!

Excellent questions!  Just curious why the Intenso is more likely than the BP100?  The BP100 is the newest model of BAHA from Cochlear.  So, just curious...

Yes, the abutment for the Cochlear BAHA units will fit with the Oticon Ponto Pro.  In fact, one of the forum members recently tried both in her Audiologists officer (she uses the Divino now).  She reported back the good and bad of both here http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11170.0.  I hope that's useful for you.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 01:58:32 pm »
Hi, Harry,

I wear an Intenso (a Cochlear product) -- have it instead of a Divino because the hearing in my good ear isn't absolutely perfect (combo of aging and genetics). It's considered to be more powerful than the Divino.

The BP100 is Cochlear's "upgrade" of its current Divino, and I've heard, via the audiology grapevine, that an enhanced version of the Intenso (perhaps a BP200?) is in the works for release in the future. I believe that the Oticon Ponto Pro is on the market as competition to the BP100. And my further understanding is that our current abutments are/will be compatible with all the Bone-Anchored hearing devices.

I'm assuming you're in consultation with your audiologist and that he/she can provide you with guidance as to the device that will work best for you.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:46:31 pm »
Hi, Harry.

I'm the one Brian referenced as having recently tested the Ponto Pro and the BP100.  My assessment is in the link he gave you.

The Oticon Ponto Pro will fit the Cochlear abutment, although it attaches a little differently than the Divino and the Intenso do.  The Cochlear products (Divino, Intenso, and BP100) all have little "stems" that attach to the abutment, the Ponto Pro doesn't have a stem; it has a circle that basically embraces (or wraps around) the abutment. 

Cochlear made the BP100 as the upgrade to the Divino and Catherine is correct; they are working on an upgrade to the Intenso.  I don't know when that upgrade will be available; Cochlear hasn't announced a date yet. 

The Intenso is usually worn by patients who have less than 100% hearing in their "good" ear because it's stronger than the Divino.  The Oticon Ponto Pro is comparable to the Divino - not the Intenso.

So if your audiologist and/or doctor was recommending the Intenso to you, it would probably be to your advantage to go with that until an upgrade is available.  If they are recommending the Divino, you could choose either the BP100 or the Ponto Pro.

Based on Cochlear's reputation, my high level of satisfaction with my Divino, and the fact that I found the BP100 and Ponto Pro virtually the same, I'm going with the BP100.  I talked to my neurotologist last week and I'll be upgrading in January.

Hope this helps.  If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Muizen

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 12:57:27 pm »
Catherine, Brian and Jan, Thank you all for your advise. As I told you already I had the abutments placed behind both my ears last week Monday and as you know, it will take some time before I can actually attach a Baha. The reason for placing two abutments is that I now have a choice to place the Baha were it generates the best results and, when my hearing deteriorates much further (due the the Meniere Syndrom) I can attach a second Baha without going through the trouble of another surgery.
It still has to be determined what type of Baha to use, the Intenso or the BP100. I have both of them for testing but feel that the BP100 is not strong enough although my impression is that the sound quality is somewhat better than that of the Intenso.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:48 am »
Muizen -

you're the first person I know who has two abutments; very interesting to me.

Good luck with your selection process, and please let us know what you choose and how it works out.

Thanks,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:42:50 am »

you're the first person I know who has two abutments; very interesting to me.

I think that dual BAHAs are actually quite common with those wearers who use them for reasons other than SSD. Many posters on the BUSK website mention it routinely. In fact, using a BAHA to combat SSD is a fairly recent innovation -- that's not their original purpose, but I'm awfully glad that someone eventually thought of that application!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »
Haven't been on the BUSK website in a while.  It's a great resource though.

Will have to check it out again soon.

Jan