Author Topic: Eye patches or covers  (Read 5715 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Eye patches or covers
« on: November 27, 2009, 03:44:25 pm »
Just letting you all know I put some pics on my blog of something I got to cover the eye.  From my eye doctors office, but maiinly for kids.  They fit well over my smaller glasses and can help keep out the bright lights, etc.

Anyone ever seen anything like it before?   My eye doctor said they'd work good, but need to remember to keep them lubed up  ;D

My blog is below in the signature area.

Let me know what you think :-)
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Eye patches or covers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »
Denise -

haven't had time to check out your blog yet, but a little while back Steve came across a few places with unique eye patches.

If I recall correctly, one was www.eyepatchheaven.com  They have many interesting styles.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »
Ya know when I was doing all my research, I had seen that link.  My  problem with the patches too is that most all are so big they don't fit good under my glasses.   Then it makes my glasses crooked and hard to see out the good eye.   Plus I don't care for the strap or band around my head.   Right now I've still been having such internal swelling (found on catscan) that anything around the head is ache.

Thank you for posting that though.
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 03:45:41 pm »
Denise,

Nice job on the blog...scary scar pictures too...yikes!  I can imagine walking into corporate wearing a Dragon Fly Eye Patch, it would actually go over well. The big boss is a real joker, says I'd make a great Halloween ornament with my patched eye. Hope it works for you. I've been fighting eye battles of my own.  Just had my third surgical procedure a few days ago.  Nice to know I'm not alone in the trenches. It really sucks down here doesn't it?!?  I hope you find the ladder and fast so you can climb out of this mess and yell back down some directions for the rest of us.

I just got one of those deals that clips to the inside of my glasses...it doesn't fit very well...I'm gonna exchange it for a smaller size...I think its just to big.

You take care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 04:25:35 pm »
Hey  Doctor B,

Glad to hear from you.   I remember when I was doing lots of searching on this page some of your posts came up.   But, I thought I  seen you have a blog too??   I had wanted to go back and check it out, but got lost.

If you have one, let me know.     I'm enjoying lots of time on this website and checking other peoples stuff.

I have 2 boys 9 1/2 & 11.   When they seen me put that cover on, you should have seen the look on their faces....funny.   BUT, then the 11 year old said "Mom, you should make one like that with a Jeep on it"  (we are a Jeepin, offroading family).   Funny.   

thanks
Denise

Doc

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 03:15:07 pm »
Hi Denise,

Yes, I keep a blog too.  Just click on the Globe under my picture on any of my Forum posts, you'll be taken directly to "Tumor Talk," that's my little attempt at sharing our common experience.  My Boys are older but enjoy giving me a hard time about my eye patch choices...all in good fun, they've been great throughout.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 08:33:39 pm »
Hi Denise,

Yes, I keep a blog too.  Just click on the Globe under my picture on any of my Forum posts, you'll be taken directly to "Tumor Talk," that's my little attempt at sharing our common experience.  My Boys are older but enjoy giving me a hard time about my eye patch choices...all in good fun, they've been great throughout.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

WELL, I learned something new today.......had no clue what that Globe was for  :)   I see one under mine too.  Thanks for sharing.   

I'm finding time on the computer my best right now, and hope to go read through others blogs.   I've got such sever insomnia, bt trying to take it real easy, so I get a bit bored.   Not into reading any books right now, I've found lots to read on here :-)

THANKS AGAIN

cyrmom2

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:12:27 am »
Hi Denise.

I checked out your blog and pictures (wish I had done this instead of care pages). I love the eye covers! My facial paralysis was also a 6 and is probably a grade 2 now so most people don't even notice it.  Dry eye is still a problem but I wear an external weight part of the day and it helps tremendously.

Hope your recovery continues to progress quickly and smoothly!
Cyndi

PS - my profile picture is from 3 months prior to my surgery.  I'll get brave soon and post a grade 2 picture. ;)

diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Doc

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 02:37:09 pm »
Hi Denise.

I checked out your blog and pictures (wish I had done this instead of care pages). I love the eye covers! My facial paralysis was also a 6 and is probably a grade 2 now so most people don't even notice it.  Dry eye is still a problem but I wear an external weight part of the day and it helps tremendously.

Hope your recovery continues to progress quickly and smoothly!
Cyndi

PS - my profile picture is from 3 months prior to my surgery.  I'll get brave soon and post a grade 2 picture. ;)

I've got scary post-op pictures of me on my blog too...my profile pic is my favorite of me and my dog...I love that picture, and the dog too!  The trick to looking normal is hold a hand over my bad eye and never, ever smile...ha!  My paralysis is still pretty bad...I'm four months out TODAY!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 03:13:46 pm »
The pictures on your blog are great - I really like the clear patch. Would have liked those in the early days when my eye wouldn't close.  For several months after surgery, I just used to tape my eye shut when I sent out - the air dried my eye out so fast, that I couldn't keep drops in.  And, of course, the eye is so sensitive to light at that stage.  I still have to wear sunglasses whenever I go out - can't tolerate bright sun in that eye. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 10:45:22 pm »
Debbi, my neurotologist from MEI gave me that clear one.  I am gonna ask for more when I go to see him Fridayl

I've tried to sleep in the clear one because it helps keep in the moisture.

By the way, I seen your post on bog, I just commented back becasue  I wasn't sure how to reply to youl

thanks