Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 15732 times)

ghenier27

Anxiety
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:19:09 am »
I just posted this on another topic but after reading some of the others, I thought I would ask here too.

I have had anxiety and panic disorders since 2003. I have had treament and did the meds thing for a while. HOWEVER, the strangest thing has happen. My anxiety which was always around, is just about gone! I have never been so calm and relaxed in my life! I have been off all pain meds for sometime now and doing wonderfully in my recovery. I am begining to wonder if my tumor had anything to do with my anxiety in the first place? Anyone have any thoughs on this?

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:46:37 am »
 :o   Wow, and I thought I was the only one that noticed this!  I too had what was diagnosed in ER as "anxiety" (was rushed there twice for shortness of breath and throat closing).  I also had years of anaphylactic-type episodes and carried around an epipen.  I've been stung since surgery with no side effects!  AMAZING!  These incidents left the day I woke from surgery and have not returned since.  I too wonder if my tumor had caused these. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:15:43 am »
I have no thoughts on this, other than to say, that's wonderful news  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cyrmom2

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:49:10 pm »
I too had what was diagnosed in ER as "anxiety" (was rushed there twice for shortness of breath and throat closing).

Prior to my surgery I also had what the ER also diagnosed as anxiety but thought were breathing issues (coughing spasms, shortness of breath, dizziness, and chest pressure). My tumor (somewhat large) was wrapped around the brain stem so I still believe that it could have caused these symptoms. They gave me Ativan 1 week prior to surgery and I felt great.  ;D

It is so nice to not have these symptoms on my list of post surgery issues!

Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

ghenier27

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:17:22 am »
I wanted to update this thread

When I saw the Dr. Lewis yesturday I mention to him about my anxiety and how it was gone. At first, he thought I had just had prior to the surgery. But when I explained to him that I've had it since 2002-2003 and did years of therpy and 4-5 years on meds. And could the tumor have caused this to have happen to me? He said it is possible for this to have happen. However, he would not recomment me telling other AN patients that their anxiety-panic disorders would go away from having the surgery. Because it may not happen. I am still very relaxed and calm and enjoying and loving every minute of it!

TP

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:32:02 am »
Prior to my AN surgery if I was driving on the interstate and passing a big truck I use to literally cringe when I would pass a big 18 wheeler truck. However, after my AN surgery driving past a big 18 wheeler does not bother me any longer. Also, being in an elevator use to bug me and now it doesn't. I was treated for years with esophageal reflux (pain in my chest, left arm, back and jaw). Was on some heavy duty medication (and still had symptoms) and finally my Dr realized I was having anxiety attacks. He put me on medication for about 3 months and it went away. Several years later I was diagnosed with my AN. Bottom line I think my head issues caused some other problems for me and once my AN was removed I felt a lot better (excluding the facial paralysis pain and eye issues that I have learned to deal with) the other things I had that bugged me no longer exist.   
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jayson

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 11:48:27 am »
Hey all, I'm new here but I thought I would chime in on this one.  About ten years ago I was diagnosed with panic disorder and went to a counselor for it.  The treatment worked and I did not have many issues with it until about a year ago.  I had my surgery in March and I figured that alot of my panic problems were brought on by symptoms of the tumor.

Well as it turned out, I'm opposite of most of the other posters here as my panic has gotten worse sense my surgery.  I started medication for it about three weeks ago and I'm feeling better.  However, last week I had my worst panic attack I've had in ten years on an 2 1/2 hour flight.  It was awful.  I thought I was going to have to have them land the plane, but I was able to get it under control and carry on.

Anyway, I am feeling better now that I'm on the meds and I think my panic episodes will keep getting more infrequent.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Diagnosed 1.5cm AN  right ear 2/09
Middle Fossa 3/18/09 at House Ear Clinic
Dr. Brackman Shwartz and Stefan.
Complete Hearing loss in right ear
Other side effects were minimal.  Doing just fine!

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:40:27 pm »
wow, interesting thread...i have felt much calmer since my treatment (even though mine was radiosurgery and not microsurgery)...i've dealt with depression and anxiety for years, and it got so bad at the end of 2008 that i had to leave a teaching job because of it.  Just figured it was my ongoing depression issues.

The anxiety decreased for a week or two in early January 2009, but a few random health and balance issues started cropping up, and that caused my anxiety to begin builiding and building..then, i was diagnosed with an AN in August of 2009.  Balance, anxiety, depression---all went to hades in a handbasket after that point...worse and worse and worse...who knows whether they are caused by each other, lead to another, etc. i'll never know, but i do know that SINCE my decision and my treatment, i've felt very calm and  MUCH less anxious about everythiing.  And this is for the huge majority of the time!!!

Of course, i've also felt very sorrowful at times as well, but there is an acceptance that i've never felt before...even the tinnitus and loss of hearing doesnt make me crazy for very long-- it's just something that i am learning to live with...and i'm certainly enjoying living a lower key, less anxiety ridden life....long may it wave (so to speak)

my challenge comes from dealing with people who just do not understand that i did not "dream" up this tumor as an excuse to get out of work, get sympathy, etc....that makes me crazy still, but i'm at least able to get back to a state of acceptance pretty fast once i put things in the hundred year perspective:   what will their opinions matter to me even tomorrow, much less in a hundred years?

My focus is on getting back to working at my paying job (if my work partner ever decides to speak to me again for "abandoning" her), and  getting back to working with the job of my heart:  working with the horses who will be used in equine therapy programs for kids 
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 06:25:08 am »
just chimming in, my anxiey came on after the removal of my AN, so am not sure this is the case
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 01:10:30 pm »
Anxiety caused by the AN tumor or vice versa?

Basically I think the inquiry is “what is the cart and what is the horse?”- here.

Firstly I want to point out some “physiological facts” that I know about the tumor I had -which was an XXL.

The brainstem was pushed over. Here is a link that explains what the brainstem controls
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstem

Quote from that website
“The brain stem provides the main motor and sensory innervation to the face and neck via the cranial nerves. Though small, this is an extremely important part of the brain as the nerve connections of the motor and sensory systems from the main part of the brain to the rest of the body pass through the brain stem. This includes the corticospinal tract (motor), the posterior column-medial lemniscus pathway (fine touch, vibration sensation and proprioception) and the spinothalamic tract (pain, temperature, itch and crude touch). The brain stem also plays an important role in the regulation of cardiac and respiratory function. It also regulates the central nervous system, and is pivotal in maintaining consciousness and regulating the sleep”

And

“Physical signs of brain stem disease
Diseases of the brain stem can result to abnormalities in the function of cranial nerves which may lead to visual disturbances, pupil abnormalities, changes in sensation, muscle weakness, hearing problems, vertigo, swallowing and speech difficulty, voice change, and co-ordination problems. Localizing neurological lesions in the brain stem may be very precise, although it relies on a clear understanding on the functions of brain stem anatomical structures and how to test them.”

Please know that AN tumors do not grow into the brainstem but grow in a way that can PUSH the brain stem over. Most of us from the “XL, XXL and XXXL tumor club” can attest the brainstem being was squished into the shape of the letter “s” – visible in MRI’s (and that the shape does go back to normal after the tumor is out)

I was very aware I had something “physically” wrong with me when I could not sleep and I was having major constipation issues (colonoscopy showed that things were fine in there)… the most frightening in the last year before removal was my speech issue. (That and the sensation of water dripping on my head- gone now). I knew what I wanted to say but I could not form my words and kept running out of wind through the airway. These are functions, controlled by the brainstem, and were not working. (Note these resolved as the brainstem slowly resumed shape after tumor removal…)

Please know when a person cannot sleep or poop they are going to mentally NOT function well (not to mention they will feel very toxic most of the time if the are “baked up”)… no doubt having them behave in an anxious (and grumpy) way. (Please note it is totally ok to talk about “poop” on this forum- and this is a popular post op topic especially for those one pain meds such as Percocet or Vicodin)

Sleep issues
Here is an article worth a read.

http://www.adaa.org/gettinghelp/FocusOn/Sleep.asp

Quote from that
“Does an anxiety disorder lead to a sleep disorder, or does a sleep disorder cause an anxiety disorder?
Either is possible. Anxiety does cause sleeping problems, and new research suggests sleep deprivation can cause an anxiety “disorder

Visual evoked nystagmus
I used to drive a school bus with no issues (in my 20-30’s). Prior to having the tumor discovered (age 44) I was having all sort of anxiety issues on the road… as some driving situations were causing me much anxiety. I was not feeling in control- particularly at night (now I am fine with night driving.) The Key issues were passing large vehicles such a semi trucks (known that there is a large air pressure and vibration being sent to your vestibular system as you do so) and I was bothered when going over bridges… suspension bridge being the worst for me. Now after much vestibular testing I know that I have some nystagmus (caused by the AN tumor) … and probably had this before surgery, as there was so much pressure behind the eye- before the tumor removal.  The repetition of vertical lines, from bridge cables, road side posts etc was setting off visual evoked nystagmus for me …Actually I still have this but have learned to cope with it and not look out- just at the car in front of me or the lines on the road I need to stay within.

For some people this can actually set off hyperventilation. I feel I had my tumor as a teenager. Interestingly at track meets, as a teen, I almost always suffered from hyperventilation after my races on a track (with lines etc) ….But not during cross-county meets in an open outdoor area. Here is an article that supports that hyperventilation can be relate to out vestibular issues. (Know that nsytagmus is related to vestibular problems)

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/53/9/2158

For those of you have never experienced vestibular testing for nystagmus this is how it is done
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6201505057633350143&ei=5BMhS8zoDILsqAONmpX1Dg&q=nystagmus&hl=en&client=safari#

Visual stimulus nystagmus video
http://video.google.com/videosearch?client=safari&rls=en&q=nystagmus%20testing&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#client=safari&rls=en&q=nystagmus+testing&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv&qvid=nystagmus+testing&vid=-5038892984980860575

Silly news story (Gotta like the anchor man- what a cutie) that talks more about this…
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6201505057633350143&ei=5BMhS8zoDILsqAONmpX1Dg&q=nystagmus&hl=en&client=safari#docid=-7533593846990658301

Those of us who have the cerebellum squished over will exhibit coordination issues… and even speech issues. If the tumor interferes with the flow of the Dura fluid (cranial spinal fluid) there can be issues too- and yes these may be “cognitive” as a patient tries to focus but has so much pressure inside their skull- they cannot. They can exhibit symptoms similar to hydrocephalus. (There were days before my diagnoses that I felt I was performing much like my former ADHD students, I taught, and my thought, attention span and focus was ALL over the place. Now I am fine)

What is hydrocephalus?
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/hydrocephalus/detail_hydrocephalus.htm

I think it is very important to know the balance between physiology and psychology not just for patients… but also for doctors.

Please know that 10+ years before my MRI revealed a 4cm tumor I did see my PCP and specifically brought up the ringing in the ears and “vertigo” (I used that very word and he questioned as to if I even knew what the word meant… he was so condescending) I asked for a referral to see an ENT and he declined – alternatively he offered to send me to a “stress therapist.” (Ok Ok I think he was also a bit of a chauvinistic so-and-so too.) Know that if my tumor had been found THEN I could have been a candidate for radiation … but then 10+ years later, when I switched doctors, it was discovered WAY too late in the game …and I did not qualify. I have had surgery complications that may have been avoided if I was diagnosed and treated earlier – with radiation.

I think it is important that medical practioners study psychology, as many physicians really need to understand people and their behavior better. (Some of them simply need to also to learn better compassion and people skills that a psychology course would teach them …to which some did not learn in Neurosurgery 101.  ;))  However there also needs to be a balance as when medical practioners, patients and care giver start dismissing issues as “Psychosomatic” … this can be VERY dangerous if this is done. Too much psychology here can be detrimental here. WAY too many people are given mood altering drugs, anti-depressants etc., in the medical system I am experiencing to be economically motivated by the pharmaceutical industry -when more effort needs to be placed on indentifying “the root cause”. However I do identify that if a patient has “clinical depression” these  pharmaceuticals can be vital for treatment.

This explains the thought of what psychosomatic illnesses (or medicine) are
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosomatic_medicine
Placebo studies have their place in ruling out certain patients but also know that there are REAL medical conditions ignored as too many medical practioner are so caught up into the “psychology” of the patient. There needs to be a balance.

Often AN patients complain of bruxism (grinding of the teeth), insomnia, neck and back pain… and often these were dismissed as symptoms of “too much stress and anxiety”. I truly feel that many of us grind our teeth at night due to the tinnitus aggravation…

This explains bruxism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxism

(Note that all my molars on my AN side have had to be crowned as these were cracked… caused by bruxism… I think the cause of my bruxism was not stress and anxiety but the constant aggravation of tinnitus -over the many years.)

I feel much calmer since the removal of my tumor.   However know that when I woke up from surgery I had hyperacusis in the good ear.

This explains that condition
http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/what+is+hyperacusis/default.asp
&
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis

Know that loud social environments are actually physically painful for me “if” I do not have an earplug. (Ie I have devised coping mechanisms)… because these can be so “physically” painful… Yes I can appear anxious and aggravated because truth is I am in pain and loud sounds “physically” hurt. Any soccer player off to the side with an injury will also appear anxious… this is no different.

If I do not have my earplug in a loud situation I am anxious… anyone around me can see that.

I do NOT believe that the anxiety I felt constantly for the years, prior to the FINAL accurate diagnose, was “psychological”. I refused any mental mood altering meds as I was convinced there was a “physical” attribute to this and I was determined to find “the cause”. Please know that “I” requested an MRI more than once … and it took a while until I was referred to someone who would order one for me.

Now that my brain has resumed its shape… 2 years later …I can actually say that I do not feel the constant anxiety I had before. My sleep patterns and bowel movements are now normal… (Yup sleeping and pooping just fine now!)

I have very little patience now with doctors -that use way too much psychology (and some appear to me do be just darn flaky and quaky if you ask me  :-\ ) … or doctors who are not being proactive in assisting getting help for me (or family) and dismiss symptoms as “stress” and/or  anxiety.

There is no doubt that people who do not have stress and anxiety under control are more prone to physical health issues. (Proven with many studies) But the key thing is to indentify when something “Physical” is actually THE cause.

Know that the 1st year immediately after my surgery I had anxiety but that was because I was in pain, had synkenisis kick in … and there was much fear of the unknown.
“Is my tumor coming back?
Will I ever smile again?
Will I ever blink or close my eye again?
Will I ever be able to ride a bike again?
Will I live to be there for my kids? (I was freaking out as I and was dealing with CSF leaks during that stage and was fearful and ANXIOUS of meningitis getting in)

Now that my brain shape looks normal, in the MRI, -truth is I actually feel more normal. (Finally)

I think that the HORSE is the Acoustic Neuroma tumor… and the CART is the anxiety and stress that it induces. We do not know “the cause” of acoustic neuroma tumors (I theorize that mine started with a head injury at age 12 followed by a 1970’s level radiation level skull x-ray)… but the truth is hormones produced during “times of stress” could be a factor that contributes to the growth of one. In truth there are no conclusive studies to that yet… We do not know “the cause” of the Acoustic Neuroma tumor. I think “if “we keep the dialogue up here many MAY conclude that that an acoustic neuroma can cause physical anxiety (not just psychological) in the brain… However some may not be convinced until there is a conclusive study and they see the paper from some reputable institution.

(EW ah- I can just see some lurking med student seeing an opportunity for a research paper, and grant, here…  ;)  :D  )

Here is to a stress and anxiety free day.

Cheers,

Daisy Head Mazy

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:17:03 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 01:13:53 pm »
DHM  :-*

that post was amazing and thanks for doing all the research on that... now, if you had to sum it up in 2 sentences..... that was a lot of info you put together.  A lot I didn't know as well.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:30:11 pm »
now, if you had to sum it up in 2 sentences.....

Anxiety caused by the AN tumor or vice versa?

Basically I think the inquiry is “what is the cart and what is the horse?”- here.

Sentence #1
I think that the HORSE is the Acoustic Neuroma tumor…
Sentence #2
...and the CART is the anxiety and stress that it induces.

We do not know “the cause” of acoustic neuroma tumors … but the truth is hormones produced during “times of stress” could be a factor that contributes to the growth of one. In truth there are no conclusive studies to that yet… We do not know “the cause” of the Acoustic Neuroma tumor. I think “if" we keep the dialogue up here many MAY conclude that that an acoustic neuroma can cause physical anxiety (not just psychological) in the brain… However some may not be convinced until there is a conclusive study and they see the paper from some reputable institution.

There Pearly Whites… thanks for being an encouraging editor…  who keeps Jim Scott and I (and our sometimes long winded key pads) in line. Better?  ;) :-*

DHM :D

Do you think ole "Scotty" and I drink WAY to much coffee. I had one extra gingerbread latte than normal, this morning. Can you tell?  :D ;D

I am singing and dancing to this Java Jive tune...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pULXnVTRynY
Jim Scott- do you want to jive with me?  :D :-*

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 01:43:57 pm »
I think “if" we keep the dialogue up here many MAY conclude that that an acoustic neuroma can cause physical anxiety (not just psychological) in the brain… However some may not be convinced until there is a conclusive study and they see the paper from some reputable institution.

There Pearly Whites… thanks for being an encouraging editor…  who keeps Jim Scott and I (and our sometimes long winded key pads) in line. Better?  ;) :-*

You rawk, my DHM!  :-*  More than 2 sentences but I'll give you this one! ;) :)  As we know, stresses in life can cause "physical" symptoms (I'm walking proof of that one today!), thus causing more anxiety in life when one doesn't feel well.  We know this has been documented in the medical community and for me.... just my 2 cents... it's trying to figure out how to keep the stress/anxiety levels down as we go through any tough journey in life.   But, knowing we have each other here to help watch each other's backs in time of need... well, that, to me, is one of the best "stress relievers" I could image! :)

BTW, I'll jive with you and did you have whipped cream on the latte?  Stop drinking coffee, m'dear!  Your fingers type too fast for me to keep up! :)

xo
Pearly Whites  ;D

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 02:19:18 pm »

BTW, I'll jive with you and did you have whipped cream on the latte?  Stop drinking coffee, m'dear!  Your fingers type too fast for me to keep up! :)

Hubby has been out of the country at his Mom’s funeral and I was wearing his hat and apron plus mine. 2 kids in the Nutcracker, 1 rehearsing additionally for Les Misérables… topped it off with late night choir performances. Call me a "cracked nut mom:D . I have been up past 11pm each night and up at 5 am since Sunday… not my usually routine of at least 8 hours sleep and a “little” coffee, with regular exercise. :P

Holy doodle I realize that I almost polished off a pound of Starbucks House Blend medium coffee grinds. How much caffeine is in the stuff anyway? ???

http://www.neilrogers.com/news/articles/2004041409.html
“The Starbucks house blend had 223 milligrams of caffeine on average per 16-ounce "grande," or medium, cup size. Starbucks says that on average, its array of coffee drinks contains even more -- 320 milligrams in a medium cup. That's nearly double the caffeine in Folgers, the leading grocery-store brand.”  :o  ::)

Ok OK I have to come off this stuff…. :-[

Here’s a quick find article on caffeine and anxiety
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?aarticlekey=50820

After this weekend of “Showtime” I can relax… and then will be the headache not from heaven (or caused by the AN tumor related stuff) … but more like the caffeine withdrawal – YOU THINK? :-\ Hmm I wonder if there is anxiety symptoms with that withdrawal.

http://www.caffeinedependence.org/caffeine_dependence.html#anxiety
LOL :D  YUP!!!

Ok Mother Pearly Whites- after this weekend I will go back to my normal routine… and get off the coffee.

Ok all you who posted here… How many of you are BIG time caffeine consumers?

Cheers (ok OKAY no more lattes for me today)

DHM  :-*

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:24:24 pm »
DHM,

1st, my condolences to you all for the loss of your mother in law. I'm sorry to hear this news.  Bloke and I send our thoughts/prayers to your husband, to you and alll those affected by this loss.

2nd. STOP DRINKING COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are causing me anxiety!!!!!!!!  (said with luff, of course!  :-* )

'nuff said.
Pearly Whites  :)