Author Topic: Normal hearing aid for completely deaf ear--update  (Read 3834 times)

amymeri

Normal hearing aid for completely deaf ear--update
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:00:06 pm »
I got my Oticon Hit hearing aid for my SSD ear  (to aid in bone conduction hearing) and boost my ability to hear things coming in on my deaf side.  I have decided against the BAHA and wanted to try this cheaper option before going to the expense of the Transear.  While I think the Transear may be the best option for me--and I have good, straight ear canals-- I am hoping this will work for the little I need it.

So far I have only used it twice.  Once in a restaurant and I couldn't tell if I needed it because it seemed like I could hear just fine without it anyways.  Once lying with my good ear in a pillow, talking to my son, and it did work. I could hear him fine through the aid.

I will keep updating as I try it in new situations and let you know how it works out.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Re: Normal hearing aid for completely deaf ear--update
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 03:50:55 pm »
Amy,

Thanks for keeping us updated.  This is an option I want to consider if I lose my hearing as a result of my surgery.  It is great to know there are different options for SSD.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

shashank

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:27:28 am »
If your canal is intact, then any normal hearing aid would do fine but if you are saying that your canal is down, then bone conduction is the only option as i've known.

Shashank

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:48:37 am »
Amy -

I hope this works out for you.

Keep in mind that if you do find a restaurant situation that is crowded and/or noisy, the hearing aid probably won't work too well.  Hearing aids of any kind (BAHAs included) are notorious for not working well in these kinds of situations.  They pick up all sounds and have a hard time filtering out background noises. 

The new BAHA devices, BP100 and Ponto Pro, have improved on this - but they aren't perfect in these kinds of settings either.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:20:31 pm »
Definitely interested in hearing more as you learn more...
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington

Esperanza

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:49:25 am »
Amy,
I am really interested to know how this is working out for you.  I went to see if this might be a suitable option for me with
a hearing aid dispenser - the guy I saw has not had the experience in this kind of use so I was basically giving him the info!
Anyway, I know my ear canals aren't particularly straight - would this made a difference? I do have excellent bone conduction transference to the good
side though.  The trouble is there doesn't seem to be as much experience generally this side of the pond and Transear is still very new to the UK - I feel like I feel I am constantly educating people in our condition  :(  although I am glad to be able to raise awareness - had an appointment with the nurse at my GP's today and gave her a brief resume of the condition and what to watch out for in her patients.  If it makes them think a little more about people presenting with vague symptoms and that enables an earlier referral then that's a job well done!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:51:24 am by Esperanza »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

carter

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:15:25 pm »
i wore an aid on my AN ear before CK.  6 months after CK, i noticed a loss in hearing.  i had it tested and i had quite a reduction in hearing and understanding.  the audiologist took my hearing aid and moved it to the non AN ear to try to get my total hearing as good as possible.

i asked what if i wanted to try the aid on the AN ear.  she advised that the aid would amplify the noise but without the understanding, it would make the totall hearing worse.  but she did program the aid  for both sides - i just select which program i wish to use. 

i found however to be correct.  i could hear the noise , but could not understand it through the aid on the AN side. 

in short time, i lost almost all of the hearing in ht AN ear .... i can now take an ear bud from an ipod and i do not hear it ... if i take two and press them against the ear and i do hear some noise.   the aid does amplify it - but the understanding of the words is 0.

so is said to myself that i would never use this.

wrong -

going deer hunting  ---- i would hear a noise but have 0 idea of where the noise was coming from.  fitted with the loose fitting ear pieces, i d o not get feedback.  i put the aid on the AN side- turn up Th volume to almost full bore .... and when the leave rustle- i can hear it and know where it came from.  so i can not use the aid on the AN side to use to talk, etc ... but i can use it for direction finding.

so keep trying things ....  you never know what might help!
carter

Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009