Author Topic: External Eye Weights  (Read 48877 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
External Eye Weights
« on: October 29, 2009, 01:51:53 pm »
I just got a call from my Eye Surgeon's Office, they have ordered an external weight and have scheduled me to come in to take it for a "test blink" next Wednesday afternoon.  I've been very anxious about the whole eye deal ever since the gold implant procedure failed so miserably leaving me physically scarred.  I've read everything I could find on the subject and the only real cautionary note I found repeated at all, was the possibility of irritation developing from adhesive on the eyelid.  It couldn't be any worse than what I've experienced for the pasts 12 weeks, taping my eye shut 24/7.

Does anyone have any personal experience with external weights they'd could share...good, bad or otherwise?!?

Thanks!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:01:45 pm by DoctorB »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

cyrmom2

Re: External Eye Weights
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:02:52 pm »
Hi Doc! 

I've been using the external weights - 1.4 gram then 1 gram, and have found them very helpful.  The only problem I've had is the weight pulling (or pushing?) the skin on my eyelid down into my lash line.  I tended to take it off several times a day and this may have stretched my eyelid skin. I do have sensitive skin but the adhesive never bothered me.

My eye now closes well and I can blink some so I do not need the weight anymore.  This is a good thing since I've lost it once again!

Good luck with your Blinkeze!
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Cheryl C

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 01:34:26 pm »
Hey, Doc - So sorry to read about everything you've had to go through!  I've been extremely busy these last two weeks and haven't even opened the forum. 

I have an external weight and have no major complaints to speak of.  As I posted a couple of weeks ago, it's apparently not closing my eye enough and I'm currently scheduled for a platinum weight implant - I was having second thoughts nagging me, and after reading of your experience, I really do!  I had a tear duct plug for a while, but it came out somehow.  I think that ,with the external weight, kept me from the problems I'm having now (wind, drafty stores, etc. irritating and scarring my cornea).
Anyway, the external weight might bring some puzzled glances - most people think it's a tiny band-aid - but I was willing to go this route to avoid anymore surgery!  Good luck with it.  Hope you're as happy with it as I have been.

Cheryl C   
~4.5 cm AN
Surgery 9/25/08, Medical City Hospital - Dallas
BAHA installed 1/09
External eye weight 3/09
Platinum eye weight & partial tarsorrhaphy 9/09
Scleral lens 3/14
Tarsorrhaphy reversal 5/14

Doc

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:47:19 pm »
Hi Ladies and thanks for the input!  Gosh Cheryl, please be sure and do what's right for you.  My experience according to the Doctor was rare, but it happens.  I wish I'd known or had been given the option to go the external route first.  If I had found this forum before this all started things may have been different, I would have known the right questions to ask...oh well, to late for that.

I somehow maintained a little bit of the ability to close my eye the first few days after the weight was removed.  That all went away within a few days.  What worries me now is I still have a small scab left from where the weight poke through so that might make it difficult to wear a stick-on external weight.  Worst case, they may delay giving me the weight until I've fully healed.

All I want obviously is to keep the eye closed.  Having it exposed to the air is very irritating and increased the chances I'll scratch the cornea, which I've managed to avoid so far.  Cherly, that must hurt when you scratch your eye, I cringe just thinking about that.  As for appearance, I'm really not worried about how it looks on me, I've spent every waking hour since surgery wearing stick on eye patches...unintentionally scaring small children all over.  My skin isn't much a concern either; I'm a crusty old guy and did give that much though anyway.

I hope your procedure and the weeks that follow good well for your Cheryl, and remember, ice or bags of frozen pea's should be your best friend for the first few days after the procedure.  Cyndi, I hope I have the same positive results you have from the weight, hopefully I won't loose the darn thing before its done the job.

Thanks again and take care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Doc

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:27:24 pm »
I tell you what, its time for me to find a new Eye Doctor. For the second time now, they failed to place an order with their supplier, this time for my external weight.  Once again my treatment is being delayed, this time until early December because of a clerical error. That's another full month I have to go with a taped and patched eye. They didn't even give me a courtesy call, they let me make the drive down their to tell me they screwed up, again!  Some of these medical offices I've had deal with have no respect for their patients.  So, I'm looking for another Eye Care professional to work with.

Argh!

Doc

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:40:05 pm »
Doc, did the eye doctor tell you what weight he was going to order? I have a 1.6 gram doing nothing but gathering dust here. If that's the right weight, PM me your mailing address and I will send it to you.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Doc

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:04:38 pm »
Doc, did the eye doctor tell you what weight he was going to order? I have a 1.6 gram doing nothing but gathering dust here. If that's the right weight, PM me your mailing address and I will send it to you.

Sara

Hi Sara,

My Implant was a 1.8?!? He didn't say what the external would be?!?  I'll inquire.

Thanks Sara, very kind of you!

Doc

cyrmom2

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 02:07:53 pm »
Hey Doc.
I had my physician fax the "prescription" directly to the company - MedDev makes the Blinkeze eyelid weights.  MedDev mailed me the Blinkeze within a week. My second weight, 1 gram, was not in stock so it took about 10 days to receive.  Here is the website link..http://www.meddev-corp.com/.

Maybe the nurse in your physician's office could facilitate the process for you.

Good Luck,
Cyndi
12 hr translab 8-25-09
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Doc

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 02:21:39 pm »
Wow, very cool...thanks Cyndi, I'll give that a try!

Doc

Doc

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 02:35:39 pm »
Cyndi,

Spoke to my Doctor, he's faxing the prescription to MedDev...should have the 1.8 Gram Blinkeze Weight Kit in days now instead of weeks...Thank you so very much Cyndi!  This network of AN People / Patients is fantastic!

;)
Doc

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 02:41:26 pm »
I tell you what, its time for me to find a new Eye Doctor. For the second time now, they failed to place an order with their supplier, this time for my external weight.  Once again my treatment is being delayed, this time until early December because of a clerical error. That's another full month I have to go with a taped and patched eye. They didn't even give me a courtesy call, they let me make the drive down their to tell me they screwed up, again!  Some of these medical offices I've had deal with have no respect for their patients.  So, I'm looking for another Eye Care professional to work with.

Doc ~

I was dismayed to learn of this new reason for delay in your quest to obtain a much-needed external eye weight, caused by the doctor's office staff incompetence.   Although I didn't require an eye weight, I had a similar maddening experience with my local ophthalmologist's office.  I was there last fall for a follow-up visit to my cataract surgery (which was uneventful) and the good doctor let me sit and wait for almost a half-hour, alone, in an examination room, then didn't bother to offer even a perfunctory ("sorry about the wait") apology, as if my time and the inconvenience the waiting caused me were totally irrelevant.  Of course, I'll never go to that doctor again, even though his office keeps sending me 'reminders' about the need to have an annual eye examination.  Perhaps, but not with that arrogant doctor. 

I believe that just as we have to be pro-active with our health needs we definitely have to be discriminating as to what doctor we'll employ, based on his expertise, of course, but also on how well or badly we're treated by the doctor and his staff.  If the staff seems indifferent and/or incompetent, the doctor should be made aware of that fact, preferably in writing, in a civil tone that implies disappointment rather than anger and a litany of complaints.

That said, I really hope you can have the doctor simply fax your prescription to MedDev as Cindi suggested, and get what you need without still further delay.   

Jim      
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Doc

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 03:05:18 pm »
Hi Jim,

Yes, I just got off the phone with MedDev; they accepted the perscription the Doctor provided and will be sending me the proper device via UPS Red...I should have it by mid-day tomorrow.  The Doctor was actually very apologetic regarding the clerical error that caused this latest delay.  It was the same office staff that caused the initial Gold Weight Implant surgery to be delayed by a week...they didn't place that order either.  

I had a similar, unexplained long wait experience with a Cardiologist earlier this year.  I was left alone in an exam room for about the same length of time...I got tired of waiting, so I got up and walked out.  I was approached by several nurses along the way and I guess you know me well enough from my writings, to know I was curt with them as I headed for the exit.  Their office manager did call a week or so later and offered an apology but by than it was too late, I was already setup elsewhere.  Funny thing, she didn't know I'd already picked up a copy of my records just the day before for my new Cardiologist.  I haven't been back to see him since...in fact, my new "lady" Cardiologist is much nicer anyway and I hardly ever wait more than a few minutes for her to come into the room!

I'll be wearing my external weight by dinner time tomorrow thanks the Cyndi and this Forum...outstanding!

Thanks!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:29:51 pm by DoctorB »

TP

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 03:30:17 pm »
When I was in need of an eye weight my eye Dr called his fellow Opthamologists and asked them if they had a particular weight on hand. He actually drove over to another office to pick one up. I can't believe you have to wait that long for something so simple.

And by the way, I totally agree with you that our time is just as valuable as the Dr's. I understand they get emergency's (delivering babies, emergency surgery, etc) but if their office staff would just be proactive to share with patients when that occurs I think it would go along way to at least give the patient the opportunity to reschedule or if they so choose, wait. I feel the same way about hair dressers and other appointments like that, our time is money too!!

Doc, good luck with the eye weight!! I know you will enjoy being able to close your eye.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

cyrmom2

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 04:33:12 pm »
Hey Doc.

I'm so glad you are getting your Blinkeze tomorrow.  Remember to store it in the same place every time you take it off.  They're very easy to lose.

Cyndi
12 hr translab 8-25-09

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 05:23:33 pm »
Doc~
I am just now reading this but was going to say that you certainly shouldn't have to wait that long - glad you got good advice and it is on the way!  One tip, plug the drain - or better yet, if you have a mirror far away from the sink use it!!  ;D  These little devils can be tricky when learning to get them on & positioned right!
Good Luck!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!