Author Topic: Airline entertainment  (Read 3229 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Airline entertainment
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:06:53 am »
I was very frustrated on recent transAtlantic flights to be unable to hear the movie soundtracks.  I even tried my SSD earbud.  I went for the free beer and wine instead.
Anyone else had similar issue with headsets on planes?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

lori67

Re: Airline entertainment
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:16 am »
Nancy,

I sit in the cheap seats on the cheap airlines, so no movies for me anyway.

In my case, the SSD does make screaming babies much more tolerable and is a great way to avoid talking to the annoying person who always seems to wind up seated right next to me.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 12:10:05 pm »
I was very frustrated on recent transAtlantic flights to be unable to hear the movie soundtracks. 

Nancy,

I had exactly the same problem on transAtlantic flights this past summer. I decided it must have something to do with all the background noise (engines, etc.) that's just inherent with a flight. My husband said he had some problems as well ... but I'm sure he managed better than I did. I ended up watching a couple of movies that I had already seen several times -- since I knew the plots I wasn't as concerned with not being able to catch all the dialogue. I did remove my BAHA for a while to see if that would help -- made it a little better, but still not wonderful. Just another frustration to be dealt with!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:44:22 pm »
I can relate too....although free beer and wine beats a movie any day in my book.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:45:24 pm »
Just my 2 cents.....

If you don't want to make the monetary investment, sometimes, some airlines will let you "rent" the Bose headphones, which is suppose to help with noise reduction. I have seen them offered on American Air Transatlantic to the UK..... Bose is suppose to help reduce background noise (ie: engines, voices, etc).  

I have used them Transatlantic Bos - London.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:48:17 pm »
Phyl,
I saw a bunch of people walking around with their Boses on.  Even to use the head!  I thought they were just showing off, but I suppose it is a relief even when you are not connected to the movie.

Lori,
These are the cheap seats!  You should have seen business class - way cool.

Patrick,
LOL

Catherine,
At least the movie selections weren't the greatest.

Thanks, guys.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness