Author Topic: BP100 Second programming  (Read 6077 times)

Sefra22

BP100 Second programming
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:15:34 pm »
I found out from my audiologist today that there have been some global issues with this new device. They are being worked on, but like she said, it is a learning experience for her, Cochlear, and myself.

Today she programmed from the default "Feedback Manager" to the "Music" setting, and for me, the difference was phenomenal! I had been having a lot of "whistling" and occasional "chirping", and so hopefully this new setting will help me.  8)

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
Re: BP100 Second programming
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 07:48:25 pm »
I am getting the same thing 2ND bp100 know going to be a third issue with the film on the back abutment that seals it shut glue does not hold they had a bad batch send it in for another one on Oct.6 they are great to work with I understand that it is a new product so not to upset the hearing is great but like you so chirping and feedback Ginger from cochlear is coming back on Oct 7 to re due some of the programming problems going to a BP100 workshop in Oct. I am going to be there test dummy :) all the audiologist are getting train so they might be using me for that.

Mike
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:42:13 pm »
Hi Mike,
Sorry that you are having issues too. I think I spoke to soon about the new setting. I left the office and it was working great. Then I took it off for a few hours this afternoon. When I put it back on, it was buzzing, and whistling to the point where I could not wear it at all. I will call the office tomorrow, but I think I may have to wait until late next week before I can see the audiologist because of my schedule. This just stinks so bad as I have to go to a meeting on Tues, and was looking forward to hearing NOT being an issue. :'(

I guess we really are the guinea pigs....maybe things will be better for the next batch of people getting this device, because of our "feedback".

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:27:48 am »
Lisa and Mike -

certainly sounds like the BP100 has a few glitches that need to be worked out  :(

Hope they get things right very soon.  I never had this kind of aggravation with my Divino - but then again it had been around for years when I got one.

I know this will sound very selfish, but I hope all the bugs are worked out of the BP100 before I upgrade (hopefully some time in the new year).

Thanks for being guinea pigs,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:39:01 pm »
Hi Lisa Cochlear talked to me today and they have a new updated batch now that fixed the chirping when I get my other one on the 12 it will be updated plus the main guy is going to be there to meet me they are very good to work with. I have to say that.     :)
                                                 Mike
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

Sefra22

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:19:26 pm »
.......and today it worked great! That's the most aggravating thing, it's either working great or whistling like crazy. I do know it works best if I put it on while it's turned "on".

Lets see what tomorrow brings!

So, Mike, they're replacing yours already? Maybe I'll have to do that.

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 10:24:57 pm »
Lisa and Mike -

am wondering how the BP100 issues are going.  Any solutions to the problems?

Is it working better now?

Please give us an update.  Inquiring minds want to know   ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 06:56:28 am »
Hi Jan,
We're still working on it....it is working fine as that I can hear, but there is still some "whistling" and static issues at times. That has been the most frustrating thing for my audiologist (Abby) and me. Some days it works great, others not so much. I have to take it off sometimes because the noise is unbearable!  I have been back for re-programming 3 times! One thing she did was turn OFF the feedback manager, which believe it or not helped to reduce some of the feedback. I have been e-mailing another woman who got hers the same time I did. She is having issues as well, and Cochlear actually took it back for repair.

I have been keeping a journal of when it not's working well to try to detect a pattern. I also notice the batteries don't last as long as I was told. More like 7-10 days.
I see Abby again in a few weeks, and she has been in contact with Cochlear, trying to arrange a meeting for me and a rep.

Still trailblazing....

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:55 am »
Well I hope they get the bugs ironed out before I get mine in April...Having to travel close to 2 hours to have it programmed will be a nuissance but doable if I want to hear
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

rust1975

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 12:16:33 am »
This is interesting to me, here's why:

I received my BP100 on Sept. 8 - my first BAHA type hearing aid. Up until then I've been using a bone conduction aid on a headband. Here's what I've experience:

1. It all started when I picked it up and my audiologist didn't know how to program it. Because I had the surgery in Texas, and flew back home to Hawaii that week, I brought it back and have been trying to find someone out here to do it. I found one, but ... we'll see. She's tried a few things, but I'm not convinced it's working right.

2. I too had the mechanical feedback issue, so we turned off the feedback manager (on my advice) to that solved that one.

3. I've noticed in the "noise" program I get an audible whoosh-type echo when, say, I clap my hands are basically even speak. So I don't even bother with that program.

4. The biggest issue I have is that I noticed a volume swell every few seconds. I could literally be lying still listening to music or watching television and the sound pulses normal and lower, normal and lower. I'm convinced it's related to the automatic noise reduction features but have no way of knowing for sure. Can anyone confirm this issue as well?

I guess, apart from the fact that I just don't hear as well with this hearing aid (the tones are all wrong, I can't even hear guitar parts in music anymore which sucks as a guitar player myself), my concern is how long would you go through the motions of "let's try this" or "let's try that" with the audiologist meanwhile paying every time before you just threw in the towel and decided something was wrong with the device? It's not an issue of becoming acclimated to the BAHA as I've simply touched the bone oscillator of my current hearing aid to the abutment and I hear as well are I normally do. But with the BP100 it's like wearing the wrong prescription glasses.

On a weird sidenote: the audiologist I've found won't even try to get the new Oticon device for me because she claims their hospital has to approve it. I've already got the Oticon rep. ready to get me a trial version, I'm willing to pay out of pocket for it if it works, but would ultimately have no one to program it.

Life in Hawaii can be limiting sometimes....

So anyone else think we need a thread where we list issues we've noticed with the BP100? I think it'd be a big help, as the information seems to be trickling in here...

rust1975

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 12:44:04 am »
One thing I forgot to add...

In wind, or any breeze coming from an indoor fan, the BP100 reacts like someone is shaking a box of pebbles inside it. Mighty annoying. Is this normal?

Sefra22

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 04:43:58 am »
Hi Rust1975,
I'm sorry to hear about your issues. Not having your audiologist nearby just compounds them, I'm sure. Usually the BP100 is working fine when I leave her office, only to have it start "squawking" about a half hour later!

That being said, I always feel a little relieved when I hear others have having problems,too. :P

Prior to getting mine, I was reading about how (most) everyone loved the BAHA, and how great it worked. I really thought the issue was me! I get so frustrated some days, especially because it is not only a new product for me, but for the audiologist, for which I am her only patient with this so far.

I haven't experienced the "volume swells", but for a while I was hearing "double" whenever I heard a high pitched noise. For example, the "beep" I hear when I start my car, I would hear the first tone, then what I called a "shadow" tone along with it. When Abby switched my default program to the "music" program, this problem went away.

Lisa

Diagnosed June 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 12:15:17 am »
I don't have a BP100 yet - am hoping to upgrade in a few months - but my sense is being new they simply haven't worked all the "bugs" out yet.   My neurotologist told me that Cochlear came out with the BP100 after Oticon announced their plans for the Ponto.   So I think in an effort to not "miss the boat", Cochlear may have been a little hasty in their release of the BP100.

I have a Divino and have never experienced any of the problems that BP100 users are having, but then again, the Divino is nowhere near as programmable as the BP100.

I'd contact Cochlear and tell them about the problems you are having with the BP100 and see what solutions they can offer you www.cochlear.com

I hope they work these problems out soon.  I've been thrilled with my Divino since the first day I was able to "rock it" on and I continue to be just as thrilled with it almost 18 months later.

I'm skeptical about the Oticon Ponto.  Not only is it a new device, it's the first BAHA system device that Oticon has produced; although they have been in the conventional hearing aid market prior to this.  I think if I went the Oticon route, I'd wait for the first Ponto upgrade and see what it's like. 

Jan

rust1975

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 02:06:39 am »
I've spoken to the Cochlear reps. via email quite a few times now. They suggested I work with the audiologist a few more times, but admitted the volume swell issue is pretty weird. If I find that we can't set it straight the rep suggested I mail it in for checkup. I'm not convinced my audi and I will be able to tweak it into normalcy - she's stubborn about saying it's not going to be like the hearing that I'm currently used to and I'll just have to get used to it. As you can imagine, that is frustrating as heck.

As for the Oticon Ponto, I'm dying to get my hands on it. My current bone conduction hearing aid is an Oticon and I've used Oticon aids my entire life with NO issues, breakdowns or concerns whatsoever. Out of the box, I've been more than pleased every time I've upgraded. Considering they have always worked in the bone conduction/oscillator territory, I trust that they will slide over to the BAHA type aids with ease.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »
As for the Oticon Ponto, I'm dying to get my hands on it. My current bone conduction hearing aid is an Oticon and I've used Oticon aids my entire life with NO issues, breakdowns or concerns whatsoever. Out of the box, I've been more than pleased every time I've upgraded. Considering they have always worked in the bone conduction/oscillator territory, I trust that they will slide over to the BAHA type aids with ease.

Good to know.  I'd never heard of Oticon until someone on the forum brought the Ponto to our attention.  Like most, I was initially familiar with Cochlear because of Cochlear implants. 

Like I said in my previous posts, I've never had an issue with my Divino and I don't know anyone who has (or with an Intenso either).  I think the BP100 (lke the Ponto) is a very different animal in the world of BAHA devices due to it's extensive programmable features.  IMO that's where the issues lie.  I'm anxious to hear from someone with a Ponto if there are issues with it similar to the issues with the BP100.

Jan