Author Topic: Did anyone have "near normal" hearing in their AN ear before treatment?  (Read 6968 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Did anyone have "near normal" hearing in their AN ear before treatment?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 06:39:52 pm »
The more I am reading of people's experiences and from my own research, the more I am convinced that the amount of hearing left post-treatment is directly related to the location of the tumor, how much hearing was still there pre-treatment, and skills of the surgeon and/or radiation oncologist.

I agree with this to some extent.  My hearing was lost because my AN was wrapped around my hearing nerve and therefore in order to remove the entire tumor, my docs sacrificed the nerve.  This had nothing to do with their skill levels, as they did an excellent job of preserving my facial nerve (especially considering I had the retrosigmoid approach - rumored to be ripe for facial nerve damage).

Not to say that you shouldn't have skilled (and experienced) surgeons, just that sometimes there are circumstances that "over-rule" skill levels.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeff

Re: Did anyone have "near normal" hearing in their AN ear before treatment?
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 03:51:52 pm »
Interesting....I had very good hearing with large tumors (nf2). It wasn't the nf2 that directly caused me to lose hearing, but the treatment. I had perfect hearing before - now none. Best wishes,
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08