Author Topic: GOOD NEWS...NEW INVENTION FOR SSD... Sounds good for us!!!!  (Read 210986 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: GOOD NEWS...NEW INVENTION FOR SSD... Sounds good for us!!!!
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2010, 05:19:03 pm »
Gloria -

thanks for the info.  I don't agree with Jason's statement that "Single Sided Deafness (SSD) is a disease whose treatment is currently covered by insurance." 

If that were the case, why wouldn't insurance companies cover conventional hearing aids and/or TransEars?

Regardless, his case for coverage is very interesting.  I'll be curious to see if insurance companies will agree to cover the Sound Bite or not.

If you hear anything new along these lines, please let us know.

As for batteries, I want to clarify Pooter's statement that Cochlear can make their batteries last for days.  The batteries I use in my Cochlear Divino last for weeks - not days.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2010, 05:35:41 pm »
Jan,

2 weeks = 14 DAYS..  semantics.  Point being they certainly last longer than 7 hours.

I disagree about SSD being a "disease"... it's more like a "condition".   I'm interested in insurance coverage and anything you, Gloria, hear along those lines also.

Gloria, I agree that changing and charging multiple times in a day is not realistic.  To me, it's a deal breaker and I suspect that many others feel that way also.  It's kinda like buying a personal aircraft with a range of 20 miles.  It's a great thought and cool idea, but realistically speaking, it's not workable.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

sgerrard

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2010, 09:05:37 pm »
Most of the world by this time has come to accept the idea of charging your cell phone every night. If they can make the SoundBite work for a day, or let you charge two sets of batteries at night, I think it would work out fine. I imagine it takes more power to drive the piece in your mouth than a BAHA uses, since it isn't actually attached to bone.

The official terms used in medical and insurance records are "diagnosis" and "treatment"; no need to debate disease versus condition.

I actually think they have a decent chance of getting an insurance company to recognize that the SoundBite is a less expensive way to treat the diagnosis of SSD, if the company is already covering other treatments for SSD. Jason sounds like he can talk the talk.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2010, 09:13:20 pm »
I don't wear any type of hearing device, so please forgive me if this is an ignorant question. Is the problem that the SoundBite uses rechargeable batteries rather than the disposable ones like the BAHA?

BTW Steve, I charge my cell phone about once a week. Maybe twice during periods like when my dad was sick.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2010, 09:35:48 pm »
Sara -

actually that's a very good question, but I don't know the answer to it.

Personally, and I stress personally, wearing something in my mouth AND behind my ear would be a deal-breaker for me.  I just can't imagine why I'd want to do that.  I am also opposed to putting anything with a battery inside of my mouth.

I make these statements well aware that some can't imagine having a hole drilled into their skull and a titanium rod sunk into it. 

It's kind of like AN treatment - people need to decide what works best for them.

Pooter -

semantics?  Why are you always pulling my chain??  ;)  :D

I agree with you, I don't think SSD can be considered a disease.  I'm SSD but it wasn't caused by a disease.  It was caused by a tumor growing on my hearing nerve and the nerve was destroyed when the docs peeled the tumor off of it.   

I also agree with Steve.  Jason sure can talk the talk.  I wonder if he was ever a politician or a car salesman  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2010, 08:39:59 pm »
Jan:  I would never pull your chain. ;)

Sara:  good question and I bet that is at least part of the reason. They are trying to get something very small to fit in the mouth while making it rechargeable. Tough but not insurmountable. Which is why most of the world's innovations in health technology are created in the US. At least until ObamaCare is passed. ;)

Steve:  if the battery was replaceable, they wouldn't (probably) have the problem with battery life.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

another NY postie

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2010, 12:37:53 pm »
Gloria,
Do you have any tinnitus?  If so, did you notice any difference with the soundbite. Right now, I think I struggle most with noisy environments where my tinnitus (running water/white static) increases and then impedes my good hearing by interference.  I am curious if the soundbite reduced this or if this was the same regardless of device?
Thanks for doing such great reporting!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

heyct

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2010, 06:52:43 pm »
Day 2: Clinical Trial

I drove thru the first round of storms out here, determined to get my hearing device. Thank goodness it was a holiday. I don't know if I can do as in depth posting as Gloria, but more like a log of my experience.

They made 3 & gave me 2 devices. All had to be adjusted to my mouth. My first impression is I think my mouth may be too small. I remember I had root canal on my back molar & they had to keep my mouth pried open to do the work. I also know my two back molars & have been filed alot (shortened) to adjust for my bite. It clips on quite easily & I really do not notice the outside piece & the wire that wraps around my tooth. It's the inside that fits on the roof of my mouth I feel is too big & the wire that connects to it, I can feel my biting on it. It would most likely take a few rounds to get it adjusted just perfect. I do not notice the BTE part at all.

I drove home in the rain, hoping to crank the tunes & finally hear stereo again! Whenever I cranked it to a louder than normal decibel, I experienced static. Almost like a speaker when the volume does not match capacity. I also noticed today, talking to my husband, who is a "L.T." (loud talker that is) I experienced the same static. I also noticed it in the car driving w/my son & I had to talk louder than normal to him in the back seat. This may be something they can adjust, I would assume so.

The stream in our backyard is rising & I walked by & could hear very clearly, the gushing of water. I also thought I heard my cell phone ringing & then realized it was the "chink, chink" of ice in my glass! I do get feedback when I tried talking on my cell phone on the device side. I cannot fit the normal double ear piece headphone into my ear (again, it's too small), but luckily I bought a few of those great single sided ear pieces that was posted on here a while back.

It's still uncomfortable chewing on the device side, but I've managed a sandwich & chips quite comfortably on the non-device side.
My first impression, and understand this may change, is I'd rather have a hole in my head! It just seems easier.

I also met Jason & he was a very nice fellow. What do expect from a marketing guy?
All in all, it was a quite pleasant appointment & I'm excited to be part of the study.

Will keep you all posted,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2010, 10:41:12 pm »
Carolyn -

thanks for the feedback (no pun intended).  When I read about the Sound Bite, I thought the mouth piece would be very awkward.

But then again, I'm a confirmed "hole in my head" type  :D

Hang in there, maybe it will get better.

Please keep us posted.

Jan

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2010, 11:53:40 am »
A fun footnote to this is the partnership Sonitus has with In-Q-Tel.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1694433/sonitus_medical_secures_strategic_investment_and_technology_advancement_agreement_from/index.html

In-Q-Tel is the not-for-profit, strategic investment firm that works to identify, adapt, and deliver innovative technology solutions to support the mission of the U.S. Intelligence Community. Launched by the CIA in 1999 as a private, independent organization, In-Q-Tel's mission is to identify and partner with companies developing cutting-edge technologies that serve the national security interests of the United States.

Very James Bond...

I have to say as the mother of an AN pt. who after her surgery at 16 became SSD ...the research and technology focused on SSD is so exciting...AJ will be turning 21 in May.  She was not thrilled with the concept of a permanent post in her head offered by the BAHA...so being able to remove this device, ( just like she takes out her contacts, and took out her retainer when she wore braces) may appeal to her.  I am already thinking of the potential of future improvements!  Dentists now can seat (removable) dentures and (permanent) crowns with posts anchored in the jaw bone...some day this  may evolved into an anchored "false tooth" (removable or permanent)...who knows what it could evolve into and that is something more to look forward to! 

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2010, 11:51:50 pm »
Do you have any tinnitus?  If so, did you notice any difference with the soundbite. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl;

Sorry for being away for awhile, I have been very busy. I do have terrible tinnitus as a consequence of my AN surgery. I agree with you, I experience more tinnitus when I am in noisy environments.  You made a good question, unfortunatelly I read your quote today after I returned my SoundBite and I can't tell you exactly how the device works with the tinnitus. Maybe Carolyn can figure this out for us.

Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

Arasha

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2010, 11:58:58 pm »
A fun footnote to this is the partnership Sonitus has with In-Q-Tel.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1694433/sonitus_medical_secures_strategic_investment_and_technology_advancement_agreement_from/index.html

In-Q-Tel is the not-for-profit, strategic investment firm that works to identify, adapt, and deliver innovative technology solutions to support the mission of the U.S. Intelligence Community. Launched by the CIA in 1999 as a private, independent organization, In-Q-Tel's mission is to identify and partner with companies developing cutting-edge technologies that serve the national security interests of the United States.

Very James Bond...

INTERESTING... :-X
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

Arasha

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2010, 12:04:18 am »
Carolyn, don't worry yet, it took a little getting use to at first for me as well.  I think you will find that it will only take a few days for you to adjust.
I remember in the past when I had braces, the first days I just wanted to give up but later I acustomized. I too felt feedback and a little discomfort the first few days, but after your mouth adapts to the device you will not want to stop wearing it, especially because of the hearing benefits that the SoundBite gives you.
In my opinion, the ITM has to fit perfectly in your mouth, if you touch the wire while you chew, it is better to tell the Dentist at Sonitus. I could eat with both sides without complications or discomfort.

Take care,
Gloria

Arasha

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2010, 12:08:51 am »
Hi Everyone;

As I mentioned before, today was the day that I needed to return my SoundBite. The doctors told me today that they would have ready for me a new ITM device to try in a couple of months, probably around March. I was very happy to hear the good news because it gives me the chance to continue hearing on my AN side. This new ITM unit is more comfortable than the other one, it is a new and improved design. I had no problem with the first component, but this new one fits much better, I could barely feel it in my mouth.

Gloria

another NY postie

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2010, 12:39:43 pm »
Gloria - how exciting!!! Can't wait to "hear" what you think of this one...and hopefully you can figure out the tinnitus questions too and how it is affected by the device!
Maybe you will end up getting to keep one of these afterall!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'