Author Topic: Follow Up Appointment  (Read 7653 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Follow Up Appointment
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:28:38 am »
Tomorrow, I have a followup visit with the surgeon that did the Gold Weight Implant in my left eye last Wednesday.  I hope he tells me that the swelling and bruising is consistent with a normal recovery.  There is also a considerable amount of oozing going on; a mix of blood and eye pooh...not pleasant and its still painful to the touch!  Any ideas, except for maybe the one that just came to mind...don't touch it...ha!

By the way, I flew for the first time since my AN surgery over the weekend; went to New York.  No problems at all...walking was a little tricky over long distances but I managed OK!

;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Follow Up Appointment
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:32:09 am »
Doc .....

Can't help on the eye thing, other than your own assessment to keep it clean.

Congratulations on the successful flight to New York.  Those jetway corridors make me disoriented!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Doc

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:50:42 am »
Clarice,

That's exactly where I had the most trouble was making my way up and down the Jetway...found myself hugging the wall all the way!

;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

moe

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:01:47 am »
Doc,
Good luck on your follow up appt tomorrow. It does take awhile for the bruising to go down. Did he prescribe antiobiotic ointment to put along the lower eyelid?
If not, he may just do that. The mixture of bloody eye pooh probably isn't considered "normal" a week post op, at least that was not the case for me.
Keep it lubed up with whatever ointment you have until you see him.
Good luck. Wow you went to NY over the weekend? Brave man!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Doc

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:43:43 am »
Hi Maureen,

Yes, I've been using the prescription ointment, applying it three times daily as instructed.  I'm beginning to think the "pooh" is from the in-eye prescription ointment I'm still using, accept this morning, there was a bloody mix.  Hopefully I'll get good review tomorrow morning.

Yeah, the New York trip was fun and not at all scary this soon after surgery.  I didn't really have any issues and got around ok and without any extraordinary assistance; no wheelchair or anything like that.

Thanks!

Doc

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:32:37 pm »
Hi Doc:   I wonder if the blood thinning med you're on has something to do with it.   Glad you're seeing the surgeon tomorrow.
Also glad to hear the trip went well.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Doc

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 06:19:24 pm »
Hey Nancy,

Yes, I'm glad I've got the appointment in the morning too...the trip was great!

Take Care!

Doc

Doc

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:28:24 am »
That was easy...I went to my post surgery follow up with the Eye Doctor this morning; everything is just fine and consistent with normal healing.  He wrote me a prescription for new reading glasses...a bifocal on the right, normal prescription, and a no-magnification frosted lens on the left since that eye is still causing double vision and of course has the gold weight implant. 

Vision Works is running a special for readers @ $29.00 a pair...the coupons are available only online.  I'll get them there since it's only a temporary prescription and I'm not concerned about them lasting a awful long.

Alls good, next appointment in six weeks!

Doc

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 11:39:07 am »
glad everything went well for you...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cyrmom2

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 01:49:28 pm »
I've been following your progress with great interest and I'm happy to hear things went well. I had my consult for the gold weight surgery this morning - November 13 is the big day.
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 02:01:45 pm »
Doc ~

Thanks for the eye-weight implant update on your follow-up visit.  'Everything's normal' is always good news!  Getting the temporary glasses at a bargain price is a sensible idea.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Doc

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 02:15:55 pm »
I've been following your progress with great interest and I'm happy to hear things went well. I had my consult for the gold weight surgery this morning - November 13 is the big day.

What ever you do, don't do it to far from a good supply of ice...ice is your best friend after the procedure and will most certainly help speed your recovery as will applying the ointment you're given...ask anyone that's had the procedure and they'll tell you the same thing!  

Nothing to be scared or nervous about.  I was awake for nearly the entire time they were doing mine, the drugs only put me out for the first few minutes which was good cause I didn't feel them giving me the local or putting in the contacts that protect your eyes during the procedure, they also prevent you from seeing so you don't flinch while they're working on your eye.  

Honestly, it was a breeze, that's not to say you won't experience some bruising & swelling, and discomfort afterwards, but please know, its well worth it to get this done.  I haven't had to wear a patch since the procedure...my eye closes...woo hoo!  Sleep without a patch too!

I wish you all the best, you'll be glad you did it...let us know how it goes for you!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:17:35 pm by DoctorB »

Doc

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 02:19:31 pm »
Doc ~

Thanks for the eye-weight implant update on your follow-up visit.  'Everything's normal' is always good news!  Getting the temporary glasses at a bargain price is a sensible idea.

Jim

Thanks Jim...leave it to us ANer's to air on the side of frugality...!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Doc

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:01 pm »
Hi Doc:   I wonder if the blood thinning med you're on has something to do with it.   Glad you're seeing the surgeon tomorrow.
Also glad to hear the trip went well.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy

By the way, the Surgeon said I bleed a little longer than normal because of the blood thinners I take for my heart / stents...you we're right on target with that one!  Some of what I saw before the visit this morning turned out to be nothing more than small blood vessels that had popped, nothing serious at all.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 03:15:59 pm »
ohhh.I have never had the contacts - sounds exciting!  I just had some "relaxers" the 1st couple of times - I told the Dr. I didn't want to "hear" anything - I had experienced that when they cut my eye so I could have it sewn shut oh so many years ago and didn't want to relive that!!  The 3rd time, they forgot & I didn't want to have to wait for it to "kick in" b/c my daughter had a soccer game I was trying to get to so I did not have anything!  Wasn't a problem at all!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!