Author Topic: Gold Weight Implant  (Read 38558 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Gold Weight Implant
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 07:02:34 am »
Yep, that's a picture of it.  I wipe around my eye 1st with rubbing alcohol & let it dry for better adhesion. (I also put on a breathe right strip 1st to open my collapsed right sinus from the AN! you may not need this) - looks funny but it works.  Only wear the NITEYE for sleep - you're not suppose to keep it on for more than 12 hours, risk of infection.
I've been using them for over a year now & no problems.   I buy them by the case & save $100 or so.  Since you may only need them temporarily, see how you like it 1st.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

doctorb

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 09:49:58 am »
I'm going to call them Monday morning and place an order for a box and see how they work for me...thanks Nancy for the tip...!

Enjoy your Sunday, Nancy!

Doc

TP

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 06:29:09 am »
The gold weight procedure for me was very simple. For my last stay in the hospital (I had been in for a CSF repair surgery and a lumbar drain) they took me into the surgery room, gave me a little anesthesia (I was awake) and they cut my eye lid and inserted the gold weight and stitched me up. Took about 20 minutes. I was back in my room and discharged a few hours later. I don't recall having a black eye or any problems except I could feel something in my eye lid when I closed my eye.

16 months or so later, taking the gold weight out was even more simple for me. I went into my eye Dr's office, they put me in a chair, gave me a shot for numbing, my husband was actually sitting in the room and watched and my eye Dr slit my eye, took out the little gold weight, one of the stitches was holding onto the weight, he had to work on that for a few minutes and got the weight out, stitched me up and I was good to go. It was a little red but looked great.

The neat thing about my husband being in there with me was he could joke and say I was like Rocky about cutting my eye lid. He found that little surgery interesting and helped bring comic relief to something that is usually serious.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

opp2

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 10:53:20 am »
Did they give you the gold so you could sell it ;D :o? Pretty good price for gold by the ounce these days!!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

moe

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 06:14:06 pm »
LUCKY YOU TP, :)
You got your gold weight out! It feels so cumbersome for me. But  a necessity to keep the eye protected.
How did they determine that you could get the weight out? Did they do a facial nerve test? (What are those called?)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

doctorb

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 06:28:14 pm »
My Aunt Shirley just called to wish me well on Wednesday's procedure and told during our conversation, her friend has had a Gold Weight in her Eye Lid for over twenty years.  I know this woman and never noticed anything different about her or would have known had my aunt not just told me.  I don't want to have mine in for any longer than necessary but if it has to stay I guess it isn't such a bad thing.  I really don't think there is any thing to worry about; can't wait to get it done already!

Doc

moe

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 06:33:39 pm »
Hey Doc,
That's the spirit! good luck tomorrow. Will be a piece of cake :)
Maureen

TP

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 06:07:19 am »
I was seeing another eye Dr for my double vision problem. I asked her if I should have my gold weight removed prior to my double vision surgery (that was scheduled at about 13 months from receiving my gold weight) and she said no, she suggested that I wait a few more months, reason why I waited. I contacted my original eye Dr at about 16 months out and went into his office and he removed it. I never really thought that my eye wouldn't close afterwards but it did and yes I kept my gold weight and made a beautiful original gold pendant that I wear around my neck. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

doctorb

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 03:17:54 am »
Today's the big day.  Leaving shortly for the Surgical Center to have the Gold Weight Implant procedure.  Have to be there at six, procedure is at eight....yeah baby, I'll be able to close my left eye after nine weeks of taping it shut and wearing patches twenty four seven...!

:)
Doc

moe

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 08:57:53 am »
Yea good luck!
Give yourself a couple of weeks for things to get to a new "normal" for your eye.
Ice,ice,ice,
Maureen

doctorb

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 10:02:44 am »
Well, that was easy, in at 8:00 out just after 9:00. The Surgeon Implanted a 1.8 gram gold weight in my left eye lid and tightened up the lower lid...immediate results. He had me opening and closing my eye while I was still on the table...first time since the Brain Surgery I've been able to do that, nine weeks now...very, very cool!

Dressing comes off at five this evening and than just ice packs, Erythromycin Eye Ointment for the incision 3x a day for 1 week. Some bruising and swelling to be expected he says...I haven't taken the ice off since I walked out there over an hour ago...have four bags of frozen pea's at the ready!

Thanks everyone for your advise and support!

Take Care!

Doc

cindyj

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 02:54:06 pm »
Glad you can "blink" now, Doc!  Know you're very happy about it! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 02:59:40 pm »
Doc ~

Congratulations on receiving your implant.  I'm pleased  to learn that the results were immediate.  Take care - and enjoy the benefits of this procedure!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 03:35:53 pm »
WHOO HOO ! !  Great news doc ! 

always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

TP

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 06:00:28 pm »
Doc, I am so happy for you!! Enjoy blinking.... ;)