Author Topic: Be Genteel with my cheeky bloke!  (Read 29131 times)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Be Genteel with my cheeky bloke!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 12:14:35 pm »
We have two Melting Pots here...one in Seattle and one in Tacoma.  Capt, don't forget that we agreed to share Sawyer!!!!!!!!

Been to England/Scotland once, 2 wks in England, one in Scotland.  Passed up the Haggis, but had a great time both places.  With one exception.  We were on a bus tour, thru the Yorkshire Dales, after just leaving Thirsk.  They put on a tape of one of James Herriot's taped stories, and it was describing a cow with an infection in one of it's stomach chambers.  Just about the same time James lanced it, after the ups and downs and arounds of the Dales, and described what exploded out, the poor 16 year old girl behind me puked her guts up.  If anyone has ridden on a bus through that part of the country, you will know that there are a lot of rock hedgerows, and no where to pull over.  Wow, that was a bad plan!!!!!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 12:15:53 pm »
Leigh.....Edinburgh....you can be my new best friend.  Stayed there for a week and fell in love with the city.  Got to go to the Military Tattoo and I still get shivers thinking about it.

ppearl214s Cheeky Bloke

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2006, 12:03:06 am »
Gennysmom,

Just to clear something up, "rock hedgerows" are actual refered to as walls in the local dialect, though the technical term is dry stone walls  ;D

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2006, 07:34:35 am »
CB - good to know...that's what they were calling them!  Maybe it just sounds more romantic to us silly Yanks.   And really, the reason why this stands out is that I have a phobia about puke just as bad, if not worse, than my phobia about spiders.  Needless to say, I beat feet as far away from poor Danielle as I could.  Good thing I never had kids.  I'm such a wimp.

Hope Phyl is hanging in there....take care! 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2006, 10:59:22 am »
Capt Deb?

Please translate your last message, I lost it after the second squark.

Laz

OIIIIIIIIINNNNK, Master Laz!
WWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE- OIIIIINNNNK weee-weeeeee-oinnnnnk-oink-oink.  oiiinnnnk-weeeeeeee-weeeeeeee.  Oin-oink-oin-oink.WWWWEEEEEEE!weeee-weeeee-wwwwweeee, oink.

WEEEEEEE!  Oink-oink-oink-oink-weeeee-wwwwwweeee.

Oink-oink,
Capt deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214s Cheeky Bloke

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2006, 12:27:38 pm »
CB - good to know...that's what they were calling them!  Maybe it just sounds more romantic to us silly Yanks.

Hope Phyl is hanging in there....take care! 

Gennysmom, that sounds like the usual patter the give on the "See Britain from a coach window" tours, not one of our finest creations.

As you missed out on the haggis here's some info http://www.electricscotland.com/haggis/index.html

Phyll is hanging tough as always, though I'm waiting on the latest email from Beanie for all the juicy gossip ;D

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2006, 03:15:39 pm »
CB - yeah, you get that everywhere, but my mom (who financed the trip) has a theory that's actually worked out pretty good.  If you take a bus, boat, whatever tour the first go round, then you get to find out what you like about a place, for example England, and then that's where you go back to.  Would be different if I knew someone there and could get the inside tour, like we have of Spain.

Watched the haggis being tossed in Edinburgh.  I'll have to go look at the site though.  Innards and oatmeal and blood sounds about as appetizing as the jellied eels I saw in Brighton.  All I can say is, why?

ppearl214s Cheeky Bloke

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2006, 04:01:45 pm »
Gennysmom - I see the theory behind the tours, I've just seen so many that are so quick, the tours feet never seem to hit the ground, I wonder if they see anything at all.

Haggis and Jellied Eels are part of the great food con that goes on all over the world, snails (pencil erasers with gravel drowned in garlic), frogs legs (there is meat there honest), sheeps eyes (not even got caught by this one), tripe and chitterlings. Back in history when the pesants were eating anything they could get on their plate, the rich were eating swan stuffed with widgin. Why the food of the rich has vanished but the food of the peasants survived and become regional or ethnic cuisine, is one of lifes great mysteries.

Mark

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2006, 05:40:57 pm »
Being of Scottish descent and having been raised in Philadelphia, I would like to offer a definition of Haggis in the heirarchy of american foods

Everyone knows that Hot dogs are made from meat by products
Scrapple which tends to be unique to the Eastern US is made from the stuff they won't put in a hot dog
Haggis is made from what they won't put in Scrapple    :o

Well, that's probably not a 100% correct, but you get the feel of it anyway. As Cheeky bloke said it is fascinating that the foods of the impoverished which were generally leftovers and castoffs have become more stylish in today's cuisine

That said, I've actually had "modern" haggis on numerous occasions and think it's quite good. Try it with scrambled eggs instead of bacon or corned beef hash   ;)

Mark

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2006, 07:42:04 pm »
Mark... I use to luff you... but after reading that... um... I ain't kissing you if you've been eating haggis! ew!  :-X

Just gimme Olley's Fish and chips (http://www.olleysfishexperience.com/restaurant/holder.htm) or... um.....Cadbury or Jaffa Cakes... although, I do have to admit that CB's mum makes good game casserole/stew.

But haggis.... ***Leigh***, you know I luv you but please keep the haggis there, ok? :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2006, 07:52:39 pm »
Haggis---haggis--haggis!
Did y'all know that my little town up here has the largest Scottish Highland Games outside of Scotland every summer?  Awesome music--Clann An Drumma is hot! (especially Jamsie--need to take him on cruise?  Wears a mean ancient kilt and no shirt!) I'm Clan McKuen.  And there's haggis everywhere!  Yum!
Captain Deb

Battyp

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2006, 07:53:59 pm »
I don't know about that Haggis but I'd sure like to see a true scot on a very windy day ;)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2006, 07:56:13 pm »
I don't know about that Haggis but I'd sure like to see a true scot on a very windy day ;)

I second that motion....  :D

So, our dear Parrot Capt'n Deb Moo-ing AWWWWking Pirate is also a Clan McKuen?  Ok, what else are you hiding from us???? ;)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2006, 08:11:02 pm »
I'm a summa cum laude college graduate!
AAAAARRRR!
AAAWWK!
Moo-moo,
Oink!
Captain Deb 8)

Mark

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2006, 08:17:48 pm »
Ah, me thinks Capt deb will need to be corrected in her "largest Scottish games" claim. I assume you are referring to the Grandfather Mountain Games which would be the largest in your area ( and one of the best in the country) . However, As one who mans a tent in 4-5 games a year and is involved with his clan historical society I would advise that the largest games outside of Scotland is actually the SF Games ( Pleasanton , CA) which draws 40-50K over the labor day weekend. It also alternates each year as the host of the US or World Championships for the heavy events.   ;D

next ask me if I wear my kilt in the regimental tradition. Correct answer means I'll bring it on the cruise    :o

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001