Author Topic: all booked and ?ready? to go.  (Read 8173 times)

opp2

all booked and ?ready? to go.
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:09:31 pm »
So I just finished booking Seton house. Surgery is Oct 23rd. And just like when I was previously booked here in Ontario for Sep4th, as soon as the date was booked I began to panic.

It's ok though, I've been working out like an animal trying to get all those good endorphins flowing.

I can't see spending the next 6 weeks on the edge of my seat  and I'm hoping when I start telling people around me it will help.

Nikki

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: all booked and ?ready? to go.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »
Nikki ~

Congratulations on your surgery date and booking a spot at Seton House.  Keeping busy is always good 'therapy' to deal with the pre-op jitters.  The time will fly.  Besides, I've entered your surgery date on the famed 'AN Treatment Calendar'   http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d23/10/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B  so you have to go, now.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:57:49 pm »
Thank you Jim. I appreciate it.  ;)
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

ghenier27

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:49:50 pm »
I have been their, althought I even went to the or and was later send home. So I can relate. I was so nervous laying on the or table that the staff thought I was cold! I was also given another surgery date- October 19th. So with all this being said, I cann't wait to hear your story and hear all the good news you will have. Take care and I am sending lots of blessings your way. Debi

opp2

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:30:41 pm »
I suppose I could have been a tad more forth coming and told you all that the surgery will be with Dr. F and Dr. Scwartz. My husband is coming along. October is a busy month, we'll be missing our best friends little girls birthday (always a big deal),my JKer's first field trip (granny will have to go) and Halloween.

Two beer later I've started to settle down. I suppose I'll have to start watching what I eat and drink, continue to work out, and sleep as much as possible.

Laurief

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:45:35 pm »
I can totally relate to your jitters! I too am booked and ready to go, although a bit sooner than you are- Sept. 23rd. I will be at the Univ. of Utah Medical Center.

Has anyone else out there been to Univ of Utah?

Laurie   
AN 2 cm x 2.7 cm left side, Diagnosed 7/09

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 12:12:36 am »
Hi Laurie,

Welcome to the forum. I happened to notice that Annisa, who had surgery at U. of Utah last April, was just on the forum today, having been absent for a month or so. Here is a link to her post just today:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10500.0

We also keep a calendar of AN surgeries, so we can remember to wish you well when your turn comes up. It is actually a separate web site:
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

I went ahead and added you, since you may have other things on your mind besides how to work an online calendar.

Please make yourself at home.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Laurief

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 11:13:17 am »
Steve,

Thanks for the welcome, calendar link (what a great idea!) and direct to Annisa. I plan to spend some serious time reading forum posts in the next week or so.

Laurie
AN 2 cm x 2.7 cm left side, Diagnosed 7/09

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 11:41:31 am »
Laurie,  Do not let yourself too get too over nervous over some posts as there are a good share of people who post while in recovery, get back to normal life with some adjustments and then leave.           It can be easy to think that the many of us who are around due to more problems are the normal and it is not.                             Way back when I first found the AN,there was a different type of forum and no one ever posted that life could be back to usual.     I was very scared.                    Post op I was back to work in 2 months as a nurse.                      In  a couple years we found an AN on the other side which in time has caused more surgery plus another tumor on the first side also.                         I have NF2 which is not typical.                Only 5% of ANers are NF2 and about half of those with NF2 are of a hereditary type found at a young age.           
   How one does with this all varies due to tumor size,location and how experienced the surgeon is.                  The time ahead of surgery can make one more nervous than after surgery.             Ask any questions you have as that is normal too.
                                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

tenai98

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 02:50:11 pm »
I'm more nervous about my Baha surgery than the actual AN surgery...My B/P was normal for a change including the morning of the surgery....Take one day at a time and make the most of it....Time will fly....After surgery, just remember that the first 3 days (f3d) dont count...As soonn as they allow you get up and walk...it really does help...
Make arrangements for a wheelchair at airport...if I'm not mistaken, Donnalynn was mistaken for a terrorist...J/K....but if memory serves me correct ( it has lots of holes in it now post op) And Donnalynn chime in here if I am wrong, but they you get harrassed at airport???
Also one good or should I say excellent item to bring is a travel pillow....I read about it on this forum and am so thankful to have had the pillow for the 1.5 hour drive home...
Best wishes for a speedy recovery....walk walk walk and more walks...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 06:04:53 pm »
You are in good hands with Friedman and Schwartz.  Seton is comfortable and you will be glad to have the extra days to recover without family and friends starring at you  ;)

I agree that working out presurgery is an excellent idea...you will have many, many, many weeks of taking it easy.

I thought maybe drinking would have to cease prior to going in for the big day, but was reassured by many that red wine makes the heart stronger...which is most excellent before surgery  ;D

Hang in there and try to relax.  It is what it is and you just have to go through the motions to get to the other side!  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

mellowrama

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 07:47:29 am »
Hi Nikki,

Its good that you have the date set!  Now just focus on yourself and being ready after surgery, etc.  I kept myself busy and made sure of everything possible being done around my home, house and pet sitters,etc. and the time really flew by.  Many of the things that I worried about were of no consequence, and things went very smooth at seton/st vincent.  I had the same docs and I'm 3+ weeks post surgery.  I was concerned that I'd be emotional on pre-op day and surgery, but was not as I was focused on listening and a calm came over me as I let the experts take control.  The setup there and people there really gave me confidence and comfort .

The surprising thing was I was trying to be all healthy with my diet, and the docs didn't seem to think that it mattered much prior to surgery, afterwards I was told by Dr. Stefan to limit the wine, which really makes since with balance issues!  I really watched what I ate/drank for the 3 days prior, no meat -  I had no problems at all. 
I also made a page on patientstatus.com, for friends and relatives to check  - this was really nice and comforting. 
best, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

opp2

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 07:56:21 am »
Thanks Melinda. There is a tiny snag in the plans now. I'll lilkely be postponing and I'll post more later, but I have a few phone calls to make.

I'm very pleased for YOU! Great recovery.

Nik

opp2

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 07:04:00 am »
I have postponed my surgery in LA indefinitely while I seek the opinion of a surgeon in BC. I was very disappointed to have to do it because I was already mentally preparing for Oct 23rd. And I didn't want to disappoint the surgeons in LA. I will post updates as I get them. If I am comfortable with the surgeon in BC and he will do the surgery, OHIP will pay for it, thus I couldn't not go.

Sooooo having booked 2 surgeries now and canceling one postponing the other.... I'm feeling like....oh I don't know how to describe it.

Disappointed.....

*** slightly excited to see Vancouver since I've never been ***

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 08:33:53 am »
I agree - You are on an emotional roller coaster.  Look at it this way...now you get to enjoy the birthday party, field trip, and Halloween with your kids!  Let the system do it's thing - it will work out eventually.  Don't stress about things you do not have control of.  Each day is another step closer  ;)
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm