Author Topic: How Many Surgeries can an AN patient have?  (Read 2578 times)

burnout

How Many Surgeries can an AN patient have?
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:53:25 pm »
My husband will be undergoing his THIRD brain surgery for his AN tumor in a time span of only 2 1/2 years!!! This includes cyber knife treatment shortly after his second brain surgery in March, and now a third surgery this week. How many brain surgeries can a patient have? I am thinking the future words out of any neurosurgeons mouth will be "there is nothing more we can do."

Has anyone else on this forum had three or more AN brain surgeries?

clr

Re: How Many Surgeries can an AN patient have?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 05:58:03 am »
My daughter, she was 23 at the time, she is now 24, had 3 brain surgeries within 6 months. I am sure 3 surgeries is extremely rare.  We were so upset when she was told the tumor was still too large for radiation and she had to have a 3rd surgery. What is left now is going to be handled with cyberknife sometime in October.

Best of luck!
Cindy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

Cheryl R

Re: How Many Surgeries can an AN patient have?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 06:44:21 am »
There can be multiple brain surgeries.      Most of us here are NF2 who have.     I have had 4 but for 3 tumors.    Jeff anf Tony have had several also.          I know of a young gal who was forced to go to surgeon with little experience and ended up with 4 for the same tumor.      I did not know about her AN until the day of her first surgery to tell her to appeal her ins.                I had 2 in 2 weeks apart.         2  were 2 years apart.     No fun but survivable.                          I hope it goes well for your husband and hate to hear of anyone having to have any.                      Keep us posted and good luck to you both.    It is hard on the family too.                                                              Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care