Author Topic: "Stuff list" to take to House before surgery  (Read 6820 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

"Stuff list" to take to House before surgery
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:18:05 am »
I have a fellow AN'er going to house and has asked me for a list of stuff to take. This person is staying at Seton House. We did have a thread on this a year back (or so). Does anyone know that link? ... I am rattling my brain trying to put a list together.

So far I have:
bottled water
Snacks
Chapstick
Nasal strips
Folding packable stool for the shower (in case  has balance issues)

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

mellowrama

Re: "Stuff list" to take to House before surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:30:55 am »
Hello, funny I was just gonna post this for Cheryl and others as I'm at Seton Hall right now.
Seton Hall is place is comfortable, convenient and quite.  However, depending on you and your caretakers needs, some tips and info;

$65 a day (great deal, I think no tax)
Queen bed, with foldout couch, roomy and light.  Small sink with mini fridge.  Shared refrigerator/micro/toaster in break room.
No internet in room.   The PC in the breakroom with internet service is down - bring a wireless laptop it will work only in the break room.  Bring some movies for it too.   The TV is local channels only with no remote control....lots about the fires going out here.  There is a TV room with VHS movies in it, have not seen anyone in there.
I brought my own pillows, plenty of linens, etc but not as nice as home stuff.
There was a chair for the shower already in the bathroom.
The washing machine is not working, dryers work fine.  We drove across the street with ac/on and waited for a wash them came back.
Use the St. Vincent Cafeteria, its good and inexpensive...watch for the hours.
We shopped up at Whole Foods groc. store on 3rd street, got lots of fruit,etc.
Get the 6 day parking pass at St. Vincent, only $18 and very convenient.  Nearby hotels was $40 a day.
Go to the LACM and see the Pompeii Exhibit!  It was great, easy in /out and I was wheeled around in a chair! 

Once I was discharged, we thought we get a nicer room  so that we could have a bed for me and my caretaker, room internet, cable, etc.  After some research it really didn't make sense to move to a different hotel, as the price started to double and conveince to cafeteria and house, parking  went down.

best, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Lilan

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:02:20 am »
Don't have time to write much now and I know this has been spelled out recently so you may have found it by now. But my obsession is to say PLAIN chapstick. I can't even describe how disgusted I was by the fragrance of mine, which was scented -- had my aunt go out and buy me a PLAIN, unscented one!! Very sensitive those early days post surgery!!!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

another NY postie

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:56:09 am »
Wow!  You guys rock!!!!  Can't believe I will go under the knife(drill?!) in 21 days....this helps soooo much.  Good news about parking too and I love Whole Foods...Melinda, did you rent a car from the beginning?
Cheryl :D :D :D :D
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:41:18 pm »
Cheryl,
Yes we rented a carvia the airport for Aug 24-5, it was around $375.  I think you get a better deal the longer you have it. 
Bring or buy a blow dryer.

Just got back from getting stitches out, it was a breeze.  Just one Dr. appointment left and I think we'll be able to leave early! 
I cannot believe how good I feel now (just washed my hair  :) )
7 days out and all is good!

You will do great Cheryl, try not to let the stress bother you too much.  I was, and I was scared too, but the day or so before surgery a calmness came over me and things all came together quite well!  These people here are all very kind and know their stuff!

Feel free to contact me for more questions. melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 03:20:43 pm »
Cheryl,

We found that having a rental car was a huge help in L.A. We also rented ours at LAX --  and unless you're really familiar with the area I would strongly recommend reserving a car with a GPS -- we couldn't have managed without that. For what it's worth, we didn't find the freeways, etc. to be as intimidating as we had feared (admittedly my husband did all the driving, and I was just the passenger).

Sounds as though you'll be well prepared for your adventure -- best wishes.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

another NY postie

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 07:12:19 pm »
I am taking copious notes!  Thanks to all!  And Melinda, Dining out, museum and now...Early Release!?!?! WOW!  I didn't even realize that could happen...gives me hope....
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:32:36 pm »
Can't believe I will go under the knife(drill?!) in 21 days....this helps soooo much. 

I think that technically it's a scalpel.  I've only heard of drills being used in BAHA implant surgeries.  At least that was the case for me.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 04:54:12 am »
Here is an archived thread on the same topic...

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=34.msg154#msg154
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 04:09:42 pm »
Thanks Kate! I just could not find it... I will pass that one on!

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 09:16:12 am »
Yes, I also recommend the GPS if you rent a car.  We didn't get it and were immediately sorry we hadn't.  I was so nervous about my husband getting back to the airport on the morning of his flight(he left before I did) that I made him do a practice run a couple of days before he left.

Chapstick - a must! 

Best to your AN friend, DHM!  Will she/he join us here once up to it?  Would love to "meet" her/him.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings