Author Topic: CONGRATULATIONS to Phyl!  (Read 15354 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: CONGRATULATIONS to Phyl!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 08:35:08 am »
Much kudos to my roomie, The Phabulous Phyll for being recognized by the ANA for her tireless efforts on OUR behalf--Huzzah!! Huzzah!! ( I am still at the airport in Chicago---oy!  Flight cancelled yesterday and 2 hour delay today.) Hugs and kisses to YOU, Cursed Cruise Director.

Xoxo

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

cindyj

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 09:16:22 am »
Well, congratulations, Phyl!!!  More than deserved - wish I could have been there to see it! 

Many hugs to you for all you do,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 10:41:28 am »
For a little perspective, there were four awards given at the banquet. Dr. John Tew received the lifetime achievement award for his career in treating acoustic neuromas (Dr. Brackmann received this award two years ago); Dr. Richard Weit received an award for his outstanding work in orchestrating the 19th Symposium; a past board president whose name escapes me received an award for his extensive work for the ANA; and Phyl's award for her volunteer work. Pretty classy company. :)

We were all truly proud of our Phyl.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

tenai98

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 12:40:20 pm »
Congrats Phyl...Much deserved....You RAWK our world
JO ;D ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 12:43:47 pm »
That is wonderful news. We do appreciate all that you do!
Hugs Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 12:51:43 pm »
Congrats, Phyl!  It's a well-deserved honor!  I wish I could have been there also..

Any word on where the next one will be or are you all still punch-drunk to discuss it?  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 12:55:37 pm »
2011 will be in Cincinnati.

Missed you, Pooter!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 12:58:23 pm »
2011 will be in Cincinnati.

Missed you, Pooter!

Jan

kewl! A hijack! reason for me to lock this thread now! w00t! :)

(thanks folks... truly... now, back to our regularly scheduled support, love, halo-dropping, hat-knitting program!)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 01:14:50 pm »
Wow!  A whole 2 hours by car closer to me!  I think it's about time we have one in the south for a change!  I know we lost the war and all, but c'mon!  We nice folks down here.  ;)

Jan:  Missed you also!  I REALLY wanted to go this year, but after my job situation going south and making about 1/2 what I was at this time last year, I couldn't justify it.  Something about food on the table, etc..  I have 2 years to make that situation right, though.  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cindyj

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 01:57:33 pm »
  I think it's about time we have one in the south for a change!  I know we lost the war and all, but c'mon!  We nice folks down here.  ;)

I agree with you, Brian!  Perhaps the south in 2013?  But, after feeling as jealous as I was this year of everyone who went to Chicago, I will try every which way I can to make it up "north" to Cincinnati in '11. 

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 02:23:05 pm »
One of my dearest friends lives in Cincinnati. A double-pleasure trip sounds perfect. Hopefully after some facial physical therapy nobody will even recognize me.

Sara

P.S. Memphis would be a great southern location for 2013.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 02:24:28 pm »
Because all of the clever congratulation wishes have been taken, I'll just add my sincere 'well done' to our own Phyl on her much-deserved award from the ANA.  She is (and has long been) the go-to person for the moderators - and just about everyone else that uses the ANA website's message boards.  I think she has the ANA Director - Judy Vitucci - on speed dial and can get an answer to almost any question or at least get attention paid to a problem with the forums, be it technical or otherwise, in a very short time.   Phyl is a great asset for all of us.

Phyl is a dedicated and very valuable ANA member (she registered on the site in 2005) who has stepped up as a leader on the internet forums - and we're very fortunate to have her.  She does yeoman's work here and elsewhere, including being a wife to 'the Bloke' (Iain), holding down a responsible sales job and serving her local community, while resolutely dealing with a host of physical problems that would probably keep most people down, if not out of circulation.  Phyl is a trouper and an example of courage in the face of various physical challenges that she refuses to even discuss, much less complain about.  She's been an inspiration to me and a friend that I know I can always can count on.  As de facto senior moderator, (by her longevity in the position, not by age - she's still a girl) Phyl appreciates everything we do here and expects nothing in return but our best efforts.  Although I regret not being there when Phyl received her ANA award at the Chicago symposium, I'll definitely give her a big hug when we meet again in October at the semi-annual ANA N.E. Discussion Group brunch in Worcester, Massachusetts.  I'm looking forward to that!

Again: well done, Phyl -  and thanks for your leadership.  

Jim
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:57:49 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jackie

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 03:31:57 pm »
"Heartiest" Congratulations to our great great leader!!! Thanks for all you do that we know about and all that you do that we don't know about!!! Blessings sent your way,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 07:00:49 pm »
Jim..... truly... thank you for the kind words..... again, I'm "floored" and your words truly mean very much to me... thank you!  :-*  (and btw, I DO have the ANA office Batphone on speeddial! LOL!)

thanks again all..... now, let's get back to the topic at hand... which is......  ok, name something.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:27:34 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Vivian B.

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 07:39:12 pm »
Hi Phyl,

Congratulations. It's nice to have someone that you know you can count on for answers and support and all the work you do for the forum. It would have been a great pleasure to have met you. Maybe next time.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.