Author Topic: One year for me  (Read 2801 times)

texsooner

One year for me
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:55:22 pm »
Haven't posted here in a while, but I've been lurking some. This week I had my 1 year MRI and follow up visit with Dr. Chang here in Houston. In my case, during my AN surgery he left what he called a very small capsule of the tumor surrounding my facial nerve so as not to disturb it too much. I'm very happy to report he says there has been no re-growth and all in there looks good. He checked my balance(which he called pretty good) and said I still have very slight facial weakness, but not really that much to speak of. I showed him this new trick that I have that when I press my lips together or smile, my AN side eyelid goes down...he said that this is a little bit of synkinesis whereby the nerve is rewiring in the wrong place....it's not really a big issue and not that noticeable except by me. I also still have a little nose twitching going on, but couldn't get it to do that while in his office.

As I said before, I feel very fortunate for having the size of tumor I had with relatively few minor issues to deal with beyond the 2 month post op period. Just within the last few weeks, I've done a 100 mile bike ride(in the 100 degree weather here in SE Texas); a 10K fun run(I know that's an oxymoron to some people); vacation to Pennsylvania, including a day at Hershey Park(I did all 11 roller coasters with my kids), then sat thru a Nascar race at Pocono, then toured all the historical sites of Philadelphia and saw a Phillies game.....so I'd say I'm doing fairly well for an old dude that had brain surgery a year ago.

I'm going to continue to do some road biking for the warm months, and then will try to start running some in the fall to start preparing for the Houston marathon next January.

Would have loved to have met some of you forumites at the Chicago affair, but hopefully I can make it to Cincy in a couple of years.

Thanks again for all the support

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: One year for me
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:41:42 pm »
Patrick ~  

Congratulations on the excellent MRI report - and your extraordinary recuperative powers.  The list of strenuous physical activities you've been engaged in recently is impressive and certainly demonstrates the full extent of your remarkable recovery from AN surgery.   Having enjoyed a good recovery, myself, I can easily understand why you're pleased with your post-op life, which is clearly full.  I love to read post-op success stories such as yours, Patrick.  I think they inspire other post-op AN patients and certainly should encourage the newly-diagnosed facing surgery with  some degree of trepidation, as we all did at one time.  Thanks so much for your informative and exciting update.  May your next year be even better....and best of luck in the Houston marathon!

Jim      
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:44:18 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 02:38:22 pm »
Congrats, Patrick, on a truly miraculous year.  You continue to be a source of inspiration to me and a reminder not to get discouraged with the detours I seem to be taking.  You're right - in the scheme of things, I'd say you're doing ok, too!  Who knows, maybe the nose twitch will result in getting a room clean, or a quick change of clothes like Samantha in "Bewitched" someday.

I will be in Cincinnati in two years so hopefully, we can meet.  I've been there way too much over the past year with my neurosurgeon, but I'm thrilled the symposium will be there.  By then, these side trips will be over and I'll be going to Cincinnati for pleasure rather than still another AN-related twist.

Did you hear the Aeorsmith concert schedule ended up being cancelled - Steven Tyler fell off the stage I guess, and that was that for the summer!  Oh well, maybe we'll catch them next time!!

Anyway - much deserved congrats on your one year milestone!!!  Do something fun!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:17:38 pm »
Patrick -

Congratulations on your first anniversary and thank you for all your contributions to the Forum.

Hope to see you in Cincinnati!  You too, Kathy!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 05:54:44 pm »
Patrick,
Congratulations!!  Happy first ANniversary.  I have to say you have been inspiring to me.  I don't know anyone else who has accomplished so much in a year!!  Here is to many, many more Anniversries!
Best Wishes,
Brenda
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:00:35 pm by Jim Scott »
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 05:55:20 pm »
I didn't even get it right with the new spell check!!
Brenda

Brenda - I fixed it for you.  Jim
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:02:26 pm by Jim Scott »
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT