Author Topic: eye drops  (Read 4297 times)

Karen

eye drops
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:44:55 pm »
I use Celluvisc drops every hour and a half during the day.  They told me to try and go 2 hours but I'm         afraid to try that.  I don't have feeling in that eye and have to go by how it looks.  Does anyone go that long?  Simes I notice that when I go longer the eye looks better that when I have it full of drops! Does that make any sense?  I will be glad to meet everybody at Chicago and discuss all this kind of stuff!   How many are going to Howl athte Moon?  That sounds like fun.  Kaybo are you going?  And Sara Lynn I thinbk you and I have the same doctor - Dr. Neely and Dr. Custer.  Will you be there?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Kaybo

Re: eye drops
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:45:38 pm »
I go almost all day without anything - sometimes I need a drop here and there but certainly don't do anything at scheduled times (are you kidding?  I am NOT a schedule girl!!  ;))

We are going to Chicago and if a group goes to Howl at the Moon (& Dave wants to), I am sure I will be right in the thick of it, but no solid plans...I am just kind of along for the ride...I'll go with the group!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:37:19 pm »
Hi Karen, I'm planning to go to the Friday afternoon/evening sessions related to facial paralysis. My two daughters are coming along, but the boys are staying home. My husband has to stay and work and my son would rather stay home than be completely outnumbered by girls. Can't say that I blame him. I'll be available for Thursday evening and Friday activities, but after that the girls and I turn into tourists. I don't know where we are staying yet, but the Drake only had $279 rooms left, so we're passing on that.

Dr. Neely has pretty well cut me loose, unless I have some sort of problem and want to see him. Dr. Custer has lengthened the time between appointments from 4 to 6 months. Dr. Neely was supposed to set me up with the physical therapist, but that was the same time that my dad died, so I haven't followed up and decided to see if I can get some input from Jackie Biehls on what direction I should be taking.

See you guys there.

Oh, and with the eye drops, I only use ointment. It varies from day to day how often I have to apply it. Some days just at bedtime. Others when I get up, afternoon, and bedtime. It's anybody's guess.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

petittrv

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:27:49 am »
Karen and Sara,

Just wanted to drop a note when I saw Drs Neely and Custer mentioned.  I'm not an everyday forum watcher but they were my doctors as well and this is the first time I saw them mentioned.  I'm sure you've probably discussed them before but I probably missed it.  Dr Custer pretty much released me unless I have issues but Dr Neely wants to see me sometime after I get back from my tour in Iraq next March.  I also had Dr Grubb as the neurosurgeon but he retired (I heard).

I brought about a gazillion eye drops (Refresh PM and celluvisic) with me over here but hardly ever use them.  I'm just too lazy to use them regularly and then when my eye gets irritated, I usually just hold it closed with my hand for a couple of minutes.  Obviously I'm out of the net for this Chicago conference, but its nice to see a couple of fellow Barnes-Jewish vets on the page.  I don't use drops or ointment anymore at night (again, more from laziness - I probably should be).  My eye still tears quite a bit, so I'm continually "crying" and it only gets dried out when a fan or air condioner is blowing towards me (that's the only time I had problems back in MO as well). 

This is my "last hurrah" with the Army, just built my retirement house in Waynesville, MO last year so maybe we'll meet up in the future.

Rick
4.5 cm AN - diagnosed 12 Sep 07; removed 2 Oct 07.  VII to XII Nerve transfer 9 Oct 07; CSF leak repair/eyelid weight installed 16 Oct 07. Deaf in left ear, facial paralysis

Patti

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:44:05 am »
karen-i, too, use drops (liguigel-for severe dry eye) often.  i do not have feeling either and have to go by looks, though i can see when it gets dry now.  how often depends on the weather, air conditioning, heat, wind, light, etc..  when it is dark, i have to use them alot more.  at night the tears glue my eye shut so i am ok.  use them as often as you need them-doctors can't tell you to spread it out for 2 hours.  thats crazy!  you have to go by what you need-for life unfortunately.  eventually it becomes the new normal.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 03:52:24 pm »
Hi Karen,
I use the same drops. It varies how often I put them in. I tape my eye up at night and have lots of lube in it, so in the morning I wake up take the tape off and put in a drop. For the morning I can go about an 1.5 hours and as the day wears on I need one ever 45 mins. I know when I need it because my eye burns or it feels like I have something in it, which is a sign of dryness. It may sound like a lot but I am not taking any chances with my eye. I tried to move to Systane but it did not last long at all.
My neurosurgeon did not think I used the drops often enough but my eye guy said my eye looks great and I have never had any problems with it. 
Do what feels good for you!
Michelle ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 04:21:05 pm »
Karen:  My eye surgeon wanted me to switch to Celluvisc awhile ago,  but I was putting it in every 5-10 minutes !  so I had to go back to the Refresh PM lubricant (sensitive).
He wanted me to go to Celluvisc so the pyrex tube in my AN eye wouldn't clog - couldn't do it & the tube hasn't clogged (when I blow my nose, esp. the non AN side, the lubricant comes flying out of the pyrex tube ! - lucky for me ! !
Best wishes,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis