Author Topic: TransEar gets better each day  (Read 65709 times)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
Re: TransEar gets better each day
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2007, 02:08:53 am »
me and my audiologist are going to order the transear and a rolls royce hearing aide (LOUD) to see which is better, both for bone conduction.
the trans only gives you 30 days while the hearing aid gives you 60-90 days trial period.
We need to make it work qwik. he wasnt too happy that transear is only 30 days., unlike everyother aid in the world..
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

okiesandy

« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2007, 01:29:59 pm »
I was a little worried about the 30 day thing with Transear. I have a email from Rick. He says the 30 days start when you are satisfied with the fit and the hearing gain. Not when you receive the aid.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2007, 10:54:47 am »
I was advised to call transear and get that in writing...calling now..

they state "they do",
and when I said could "I get that in writing",
They asked me if I could tell my audiologist to tell them to get it in writing. ???
Blue Cross has verified though they would cover it.
It is considered a prostesis, not Durable Medical Equipment.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:02:17 am by ixta »

Jeanlea

« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2007, 04:54:43 pm »
How did you get Blue Cross to cover it as a prosthesis?  I'm still waiting to be reimbursed, but they told my audiologist that they would cover it as a hearing aid.  They only pay $1541 for a hearing aid, which left me with the balance to pay.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

blinc

« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2007, 07:30:15 pm »
Hello everyone!!  I am new to your forum.  My daughter was diagnosed at birth with single sided deafness due to a malformed cochlea, she is now 4 yaers old.  Have you heard of anyone so young being fitted with the Transear? I think it sounds like a wonderful devise, but our audiologist said she is too young for it. And recomended the BAJA implant or a high powered aid.  I am not for anything surgical at this time, and am not sure of the high powered hearing aid.  If anyone has any information I would GREATLY appreciate the help.  THANK YOU!!!!

matti

« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2007, 07:37:52 pm »
I have blue cross and tried to get them to cover my TransEar as a prosthesis, but they said it is only covered under hearing devices. I even had letters from my surgeons explaining the reason for my hearing loss and still no luck.
I may have to reinvestigate, thanks for the info ixta!

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

matti

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »
hi blinc - I believe it can be used on young children, but not infants. It all depends on the size of the ear canal, as the Transear needs to sit deeper in the canal. The only way to be sure is to have an impression taken and sent to TransEar to see if your daughter would be a candidate. Check out their website or call them for more info, they are very helpful.

Take care,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2007, 08:43:42 pm »
They are very helpful, I enquired with them but unfortunately they don't have a set up in Australia yet. Shame coz a standard hearing aid won't work with me.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2007, 02:40:51 pm »
IXTA:

TransEar270, our latest model, has a 45 day trial period, and if your state law mandates a longer period, we of course honor that. The intent of any trial period is to ensure that you have enough time to fairly evaluate what it does for your hearing. Assuming a comfortable fit and no other issues, 45 days should be plenty, and comments on this forum tend to support that. On the other hand, if a remake or modification must be made to your TransEar, the trial clock essentially starts over again. We try to be fair and flexible, and I don't believe we have failed at that yet. If we have, I'd like to know. The last thing anyone trying TransEar should worry about is the length of our trial period.

Rick Gilbert

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2007, 09:22:21 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Trans,
My audiologist wants it clarified, does the 45 day countdown start @ invoice, or when I actually get it fitted or comfortable with the fitting...because since it is soo deep in the canal, there are fitting problems, etc.
Just want to clarify if the 45 day starts at invoice.
Gracias!

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2007, 07:51:58 am »
ixta:

It starts at invoice unless we are advised of any delays in scheduling the person to be fitted. Please do not anticipate "fitting problems." Yes, TransEar fits deeply in the canal, and yes, minor modifications through light sanding are usually required to ensure day-long comfort for most users (sometimes more than once). But this is not some torture chamber exercise. Most of the members of this forum - at least those I am personally familiar with - who have required remakes needed them because the transfer unit was not tight enough and they weren't receiving the desired gain, not the other way around. If you will email me privately I'll send you the complete fitting guide that we provide to the audiologist, and you can follow step by step what is going to be required.

As I said previously, the trial period is not something to get worked up over. You should instead look forward to regaining some sense of hearing from your dead side, and everything else will fall into place. If you are a good candidate for TransEar, you will know so rather soon after you are fitted, I think, and if the experience is "two-thumbs-up," it will only get better over time.

Regards,

Rick Gilbert

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2007, 12:44:32 am »
sounds good, ya the fitting guide would be cool, The audiologist did open bite and closed molds.
I guess its hard plastic.
Said my build up in my ea canal is from diving in cold water.. ???
wer'e trying for something else for now.
my current insurance was able to get it as a prosthetic, but now I am getting a new job and who knows what the new coverage will say,
Have to fill out one of those "pre existing condition" things I m sure.

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2007, 04:25:18 pm »
Well folks, I got my TransEar today...Kinda wild.

I'm just getting used to settings and programs right now. It seems the longer it is in my ear the better it seems to work.
I was able to talk on the phone using my good ear and still hear everything in the background with my TransEar.

My own voice sounds as it used to (to me) as well.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Now, let's see  if I get used to my new bi focals....

Dan ;D
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Jeanlea

« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2007, 06:33:49 pm »
Hey Dan, happy to hear that you got your TransEar today.  It does help with the hearing.  New bifocals too?  What a treat for your senses.  lol

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2007, 07:50:09 pm »
I'm finding that I am adapting to the TransEar quicker than the bi-focals. I wanted to get regular glasses and then a pair of reading glasses...My wife talked me out of it.

If I don't get used to the bi-focals in a week or two...then I think it's back to square one.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.