Author Topic: TransEar gets better each day  (Read 65243 times)

Boppie

TransEar gets better each day
« on: January 24, 2007, 03:49:34 pm »
I have wondered why my audiologist encouraged me to not turn my TransEar higher than 2 or 2½ for the adjustment period.  I have been using my aid since late October.  I turned it to 3 last night and experienced a new comfortable volume of sound that I couldn't tolerate in November.   Small surprises!  So nice!  The brain needs time to adjust to new situations.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:55:33 pm by Boppie »

Battyp

Re: TransEar gets better each day
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 05:10:35 pm »
boppie can I borrow your transear?  I'll give you a gold monkey  LOL

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:53:35 pm »
It's good to hear all of these pointers.  I should have my TransEar in another two and a half weeks.  It sounds like you go through batteries quickly.  How is that part of it going for you? 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:41:52 pm »
Well a working person might need a new battery every third day.  I think I am getting 20 hours out of mine and that lasts me about a week since I only wear mine four or five hours at a time.  I don't put my aid on at home unless I have grandsons over.  They are learning to read.  High interest in talking.  Since I got the aid I have become very secure about knowing I can be deaf on one side and "escape".   That is shocking, isn't it?  Did you read that I am picking up subtle clues about direction?  My head twirling has stopped, at least. :)

TransEar also said they are developing a more efficient BTE, so the battery driver might improve too.  Wouldn't that be peachy?  Batteries are a way of life for hearing aids...not expensive though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:36:14 am by Boppie »

matti

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 09:08:30 am »
I just posted in another thread regarding my TransEar update. I mentioned that I was asked to try the new prototype of TransEar II, as I was not getting enough benefit from TransEar I. I should get it in 2 weeks and will keep everyone posted.

With my first TransEar, I changed batteries every 4-5 days. Even though I was not getting enough benefit from the first model, I sure miss what benefit I was getting.

I am excited for you Jean, I know you will be very happy with your TransEar ;D

Yeah Boppie!! It is amazing how the brain readjusts. I remember the first few days with my TransEar, I was very upset because I was hearing nothing and then suddenly on day 5, the sound of my typing took on a much different tone and volume.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 09:18:08 am »
Yippe skippe all good news for those of us still waiting....Sounds to me like that 3 hour drive to jax will be worth it to get the transear :o)

okiesandy

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 09:22:14 am »
Yeah! today is the day to fit the new ear molds for the Transear. I am armed with a lot of questions about the new model. They think I will get my aid in about two to two and a half weeks. I am anxious. With balance problems the twirling around to hear is a danger. I did that a couple of days ago and slammed into a door frame. I had not done that in months and it came as quite a shock to me. My skinny ear canals have be a real problem. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work this time.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 09:27:18 am »
Yeah! today is the day to fit the new ear molds for the Transear. I am armed with a lot of questions about the new model. They think I will get my aid in about two to two and a half weeks. I am anxious. With balance problems the twirling around to hear is a danger. I did that a couple of days ago and slammed into a door frame. I had not done that in months and it came as quite a shock to me. My skinny ear canals have be a real problem. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work this time.

Sandy

Sandy,
SO thrilled for you! Please keep us updated.. and have to ask.. how bad did you bruise the door frame? ;)

Can't wait for your new ear!
xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

okiesandy

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 09:47:48 am »
Phyl,

Shoulder and door frame are both OK. Just a shock to me at this time. I had not done that in a long, long time. Mostly my balance is OK. The doc. has me walk the line and march and I am all over the place. NOt good at all. As far as every day things go I am fine. They say I am just compensating. What ever it is I'll take it.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 10:01:06 am »
Sandy,

Glad to hear the door frame (and your shoulder) are not going to file a claim with your homeowner's policy! :)

I hear you on that balance issue... interesting that, to me (and I may be wrong), but overall readings from other AN patients, regardless of treatment, balance is the key issue (besides hearing loss).  I'm sorry to hear it's been acting up.  BTW, when doing my heel-toe test, I have yet to pass the test in years.  Feel like a "weebil" (toy)... "weebils wobble but they don't fall down"

Keep us posted on the TransEar. I think matti (cheryl) has the same issue with narrow ear canals or such.... both of you... little ears but boy oh boy, massive big hearts! :)

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 11:06:07 am »
Sandy, take care of that shoulder...if any stiffness shows up, keep that thing moving through all of the range of motion, up, out, behind, and over.

okiesandy

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 02:00:32 pm »
I keep telling the doctors I could not do those things before CK. If ever. Have always been a klutz. I know I haven't had a tumor all of my life. I think they make me do these things so they can get a good laugh. Mostly I don't feel dizzy. Don't turn into walls any more (only the door jamb).  I can just see me if I ever got pickied up by the police. You all would have to bail me out. Maybe we should start a fund.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

matti

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 02:50:43 pm »
Sandy - Are you getting TransEar I or II ?  I am excited for us ;D

I have had a permanent bruise on my right arm/shoulder for almost 9 years, as without fail, I keep misjudging the SAME corner in my hallway :(

Hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 05:12:22 pm »
Sandy, I have small ear canals too.  That's why my TransEar is taking longer.  so they can do it.  I also learned this week that my insurance will cover $1541 of the cost since it covers hearing aids.  I thought about trying to get them to pay the whole cost because it's replacing my ear sort of, but I figure this way they will have to pay again in 3 years when I may need a new one. 

I tried the heal toe walking.  I can do it fairly well.  I think that's because before all of this I had excellent balance (and I'm a stubborn Swede lol).  Even when I was cross country skiing this week and my kids came up behind me and scared me I didn't fall over.  Teenagers are so loving. lol

Boppie, that's great news that you are starting to sense direction.  I'm so excited to get my TransEar.  Sandy and I should get it about the same time.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 03:32:47 am »
Hey Boppie thats Cool the transear is working for you!
I talked to a REAL cool local audiologist that is investigating the Translab I mean TRANSEAR@ haha! possibility for me. I like this idea of 'escape"-thing is you stated about some Head spin thing, I just got done with the Head spin and dont want to have to face it all again! woooooohoooo :D

His only concern is that they are a young company, and at worst could go out of business and not being able to get ear gear and such. :o

5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06