Author Topic: Stoneaxe's Update  (Read 47280 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Stoneaxe's Update
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2009, 06:20:07 am »
Hi Bob:  I had a whopping migraine the day after returning home:  vomiting & severe pain - I would have called 911 but my friend who is a neurologist stayed with me.   The headaches continued for weeks afterward,  but never as severe as the 1st one.  I remember taking Tylenol extra strength around the clock (I kept a diary of the date/time taken - when I looked back, I realized I was writing April instead of June !).
I certainly hope you have medication that will squash the headaches.
Continued healing,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

wendysig

« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2009, 10:44:02 am »
Bob,

Sorry to hear you are having such terrible headaches.  I had them to for a little more than a week after surgery.  I guess I was one of the lucky ones.  If I was given steroids after surgery, it was intravenously and that my IV was removed two days after my surgery.  They did ask tons of questions that would probably have told them if I had intercranial pressure but I guess I was lucky there too.  I hope your headaches stop soon too.

It's okay to push yourself a little bit, but resting and taking naps are definitely a necessary part of the healing process too.  Listen to your body and you'll do great.

Sending more healing vibes your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

elliemae

« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2009, 02:19:54 pm »
Hi, Bob
I'm sorry to be so late in getting your updates and congratulating you on your recovery!  But, as everyone else has been saying ... do take it easy for a bit!  Hopefully those headaches will go away quickly, and you'll be back to normal soon...

Elaine

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2009, 03:03:39 pm »
Bob, so glad to hear that you had a successful surgery and that your recovery is coming along nicely.  For me I was so pumped up on adrenaline on being well and ready to go home so I felt great but also hit a wall.  As you start to relax into your recovery your body will start making the compensations.  Give yourself time to heal in these six weeks so you can get back on that board as soon as possible!  Sleep, eat ice cream, let people wait on you, you know, REST!  Congrats on being a Postie!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2009, 04:57:56 pm »
Headaches....................SUCK  :'(    I live with them day and night!  The dam headaches have tried hard to take away my cheery disposition, but I'm a fighter  ;D  When I have a really bad one my husband says a become a sarcastic  *itch!!  Oh well no one is perfect  ::)

Please take care of yourself.

Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2009, 09:47:57 pm »
Thanks All....the headache was bad enough to have Sue and I drive into Boston to see Dr. McKenna this morning. Back on the steroids, some ibuprofen and an occasional percocet. I'm headache free tonight. I'm thinking its the steroids. I have quite a bit of additional facial swelling and could feel the increase in pressure. Within a couple hours of talking the 1st steroid dose I was headache free. Feeling good at the moment. My walking is good when my head isn't pounding...up and down stairs ....slowly. Just wonky head a bit. Still some occasional double vision.

LOL...was going to post a scar picture but the camera broke taking the picture.....I'm not kidding....very funny.... ;D. I'll dig out my other one tomorrow and post.....wide angle lens.... ::)

Thanks again...Bob
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:15:00 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

moe

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2009, 10:08:39 pm »
Bob,
Glad to hear you got some relief today :)
So did the doc put you back on low dose steroid or are you done?
BTW what was the first thing YOU remember waking up from surgery? ;)
Take er easy,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:39 pm »
He put me back on another cycle of dosage for steroids.

1st thing I remember was being asked questions in the ICU. Docs and nurses but not even sure who was doing the talking? The 1st feeling of relief came when I heard Sue's voice...sank in that I made it and she was with me... :)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

moe

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2009, 10:33:33 pm »
Yea, and no vomiting??? ;D
Great way to wake up!
Maureen

Jill Marie

« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2009, 11:02:08 pm »
Hi Bob,  So glad to hear that they found a way to relieve your headaches.  I don't recall having headaches after my surgery but that was 17 years ago so perhaps time has done me a favor by forgetting some of the things related to the surgery.  June is my anniversary month for the surgery and I find myself thinking back to what happened and how far I've come from then.  I know it's going to be hard for you to take it easy so your body can heal but if you don't rest enough your body will take longer to recover.  Be a patient patient!  Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Vivian B.

« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2009, 05:21:18 am »
Hi Bob,

Glad to hear that headaches are subsiding. I suffer from occasion migraines and they are not pretty. It's good to know you are doing better. One day at a time!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2009, 06:54:35 am »
Hi, Bob.
Glad you were pro-active and got the relief necessary.  It's interesting that when they saw me, looking very much like you post-op, they extended my steroids, but with you they didn't.  There is no dictated protocol, I guess.  I had no headaches after the first day and a half or so, and those I attribute to being kept awake all night and day by noises of machines, nurses, and other patients.  One disoriented lady was screaming all night.  Coulda done without that!
I had a very long course of steroids with a slow taper.  Although I was the Energizer Bunny, it worked for me!  I was running circles around Dave, my supposed caregiver, waiting on him, cooking and cleaning.
Go sit in that garden of yours between showers and meditate on the wonder of life!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2009, 08:56:55 am »
. Back on the steroids, some ibuprofen and an occasional percocet. I'm headache free tonight. I'm thinking its the steroids.

Ew the Percocet...I remember the constipation that goes with that drug. Be sure to eat lots of fiber and take collace.

If the double vision continues you should be adamant about this with your physician. Sometimes this is caused by hydrocephalus (excess dura fluid putting pressure on the optic nerves) ... for me the most affective drug for the double vision was diamox (mega diuretic)

Here is a link that explains that drug (generic name Acetazolamide) and its purpose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetazolamide

... it will also take care for the constipation issues caused by the Percocet. (You are part of the AN family now- and yes we talk about BM’s as these are issues, post treatment, that many of us had… and constipation will only magnify the headaches.

Hang in there- it does get better. It is just imperative that you bring up ALL issues with the physician who is caring for you.

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

moe

« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2009, 09:05:12 am »
Go sit in that garden of yours between showers and meditate on the wonder of life!

THAT is a great idea Nancy!

And we get to talk potty humor too? OK BOB drink lots of water, water, water, if you are having constipation and colace 2 times a day if needed. (Prunes are good too). A small amount of MOM even (that's milk of magnesia, not mother).....

I was on vicodin, and then percocet for my headaches. Couldn't get a handle on them (I am now headache free BTW).
I won't share my  near death by bowel movement experience , but it wasn't pleasant :D
OK have a nice quiet day and enjoy your beautiful garden, weather permitting.
Maureen

epodjn

« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2009, 10:12:14 am »
I also found that walking helped the headaches. I had them for about two weeks but the more I walked the better I felt. At 6 months post-op I've decided the cure for almost all my problems, and this is just my own thing, is EXERCISE. It has helped my balance, headaches, wonkie head, and constipation, haha. You need to sleep, rest and let your body recover but once you feel well enough I think it's important to move, even when you don't really want to. Of course, with Bob, Im preaching to the choir. 
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!