Author Topic: Getting help and support  (Read 22778 times)

followingHim

Getting help and support
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:02:50 am »
I haven't posted here in quite some time.  My husband has a recurrence of an acoustic neuroma and underwent 6 weeks of radiotatic surgery last summer.  He has been experiencing very bad headaches and is now taking steroids.  I feel we could both do with some help and support but I dont' know where to go to get it.
I was wondering if he would qualify for a disabled badge as he now also has a heart condition and is getting so very tired.   Any ideas would be appreciated.

followinghim

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Getting help and support
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 02:49:44 pm »
followingHim ~

Although it's good to see you back afrer all these months, I'm sorry your husband's headaches are the motivation for your return.  Because you and your husband are in the U.K., I would suggest checking out the BANA (British Acoustic Neuroma Association) website to find out if there is a local AN support group within reasonable driving distance of your residence. http://www.bana-uk.com/.  Of course, these forums can also be a source of support for you and your husband.  Although we cannot give you direct medical advice, we can offer practical advice and, just as important, extend empathy and friendship based on mutually shared experience with this somewhat rare condition (acoustic neuroma). 

I trust your husband's headaches will diminish soon and that both of you will avail yourselves of our willingness to share and support.  I look forward to seeing you post again - a bit sooner, this time.  :) 

Jim
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 03:16:57 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

followingHim

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:22:58 am »
Thank you for your response Jim.  It is much appreciated.  I had to contact the hospital this morning as Rob's headaches have come back even though he is still taking the streroids.  His dosage (Dexamethasone 2mg twice a day) has been increased, back to twice a day until we go back to the hospital next week and his condition reassessed. 

We have had a very busy and stessful year but it is good to be back here and I am trying to catch up with all the latest news.  The book club certainly looks interesting.  It would be lovely to have the time to sit down and read again. 

Blessings

Ley

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:43:11 am »
Ley,

great to see you back  and so sorry to hear Rob is running into these issues.... hoping the dexmeth (steroids) helps as I ran into issues about the same time and had to also do a short term course of steroids to help.  I know I didn't get to meet you over the Christmas holidays (I met up with some AN'ers while in Dorset County over the holidays) and so sorry I missed you. 

Jim makes a great suggestion about BANA and they may be able to help out as well.

As for the ANA Book Club, I'm still waiting for them to recommend a good Danielle Steele Book before I join :)

Please hang in there and please tell Rob to hang tough... sending wellness wishes his way.

Cheers!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

followingHim

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 02:05:43 pm »
Hi Ppearl,

Rob was feeling so unwell this morning that I phoned the hospital.  They have suggested that he increases the steroids back to 4 mg today until he has his appointment at the hospital on Tuesday.  He seems to be a bit better but still has no energy.  The headaches seem to have eased up some too.

Dorset is some distance from us here in Gloucestershire, but it is good that people are able to meet up.   I have been in touch with BANA as Jim kindly suggersted but there isn't a support group in our area.  I think it might be a good idea to take out a membership with them.

So far I haven't come across the book list for the book club. Does anyone know what page it is on?  I like the classics like Austen and I like history.  It is years since I read anything like that and I am looking forward to being able to "switch off "for a while with a good book.  I think Rob might enjoy that too as we are both bookworms.

I don't think I have read Danielle Steele before but our daughter is an avid fan.  Rob has enjoyed some of the Wilbut Smith novels in the past.  He might still have one "on the go" at the moment.

Blessings

Ley

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 08:50:42 pm »
Hi Ley .....

I'm not sure if there is a book list as such on this thread, but this includes some of the books being read:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5989.900  Hope this is what you were looking for.

I pray that Rob will have relief soon from his awful headaches and feel like reading again.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

followingHim

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:51:44 am »
Hello Clarice,

Thank you for your reply. During these summer months I find there is not too much time for reading as the garden keeps me busy.  I need a book on growing orchids but I don't think that would count!!

Rob seems to have improved a little today but is still feeling very disorientated and slow.  The headaches have eased off though, which is a blessing.

Thank you for your interest.

Blessings

Ley

followingHim

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 06:56:34 am »
Rob was admitted to a neuro ward yesterday for a CT scan and tests.  He has been getting more unsteady and confused.  The dr doubled his medication to 8 mg per day.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 02:30:25 pm »
Ley ~

I'm sorry to learn of your husband's worsening symptoms.  I truly hope that the CT scan and other tests will find the cause and that it can be addressed.  He'll be in our prayers.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

followingHim

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 03:25:41 am »
Thank you so much Jim and to all who hold him up in prayer.  That means such a lot to us.

We are still waiting for the results of the CT scan Rob had yesterday.  At the moment they are thinking that he may have developed hydrochephalus, (fluid on the brain), which will need surgery to insert a shunt).  His meds, Dexamethasone, have been increased to 8mg per day.

Again, thank you for your kind words

Ley

moe

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:15:48 am »
Ley,
So sorry to hear of your husbands setbacks. That is truly discouraging and frustrating to have setbacks I'm sure.
I'll keep you guys in prayer. The hydrocephalus is treatable and will definitely cure the headaches, if that is what is causing them.
Take care of yourself too.
May not have time for the book reading, but I am currently trying to find the book The Time Traveler's Wife, as stated on the book forum post.
Can't seem to find it, still looking.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 01:35:05 pm »
Ley

I'm following along and keeping updates on this.. I'm so sorry to hear this is cropping up and hope that Rob is hanging tough.. and you too.

Sending those wellness wishes across the pond.... pleae hang in there.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

followingHim

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 07:50:55 am »
You are all so very kind.  Rob is to have a lumbar puncture sometime today.  We should know more later.  He is in good spirits and looking a lot better.  I think the increase in meds has something to do with that!  He is also happier now that he is in hospital because he found the confusion etc very distressing.  Now that the drs have seen how he is for themselves he now feels that somthing is being done and that something can be done.
We have a lot of people praying for him and that is so encouraging, being so far away from home.
I will update you as and when I can.

My current book, when I can concentrate is: The Cambridge Companion to Evangelical Theology edited by Timothy Larsen and Daniel J. Trier.   

I also managed to find a knitting wool shop yesterday and had some presence of mind to bring a pattern with me, but not the yarn, so I am now embarking on a baby blanket for the times I can't focus on reading.

My grateful thanks to you all for caring.

Blessings

Ley

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 08:07:40 am »
Ley .....

Thanks for the update on Rob.  I'm sure both of you are relieved that something is going to be done soon to relieve his pain and confusion.  Just his being in a medical facility should bring some sense of relief for you ..... now they can worry about his care.

Not sure I could concentrate on something as heavy as "The Cambridge Companion to Evangelical Theology" during this time.  Knitting sounds more helpful ...... and would definitely be more relaxing for me.

My prayers continue for peace for both of you and successful treatment for Rob.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

followingHim

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 03:21:07 am »
Hello Clarice,
Thank you for your interest.  Just a quick update as I can't get the laptop to work here and I am having to use a public computer.  Rob's lumbar puncture showed up that he has a blockage and he will have surgery on Thursday.  We have to wait awhile because of him coming off the blood thinners.  He is off the ward at the moment and staying with me in the apartment and I will take him back on wednesday.

Again, thank you for all your prayers.  I will look in when I can.

Blessings

Ley