Author Topic: And ... as long as I'm waiting ... when you 1st woke up from surg ...  (Read 14739 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: And ... as long as I'm waiting ... when you 1st woke up from surg ...
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 10:18:07 am »
I'm not so sure I should have read this thread...I hate vomiting (I certainly hope none of you enjoy it... ;))

Getting a bit amxious just 3 days out from surgery...very unlike me to stress over things but I guess this is a big one... ::)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

moe

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 11:16:48 am »
I'm not so sure I should have read this thread..
Yep, oh well too late!
Really, I'm sure you'll do fine. :) And you're pretty much in a fog anyway in the recovery.
They give you lots of anti nausea drugs because of the nature of the surgery too.
Just tell the anesthesiologist that you need lots of anti nausea meds after the surgery.
I'm sure you'll rock it!
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 05:30:22 am »
Stoneaxe , Good luck on the surgery!!

I was one of the lucky ones ... I did not throw up! ..  but I did not eat at first... the first time I took one bite it felt like it was going to come up ...  but the next day... I took 3 bites... and the meal I took 6 ... and so on and so on .. by the end of my hospital stay..  I could not get enough to eat ! (the roid's where really kicking in) ... one of by best memorys of the hospital stay...  my wife brought back a cheesecake from the cheesecake factory.. boy was I happy!! ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Keri

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 09:13:13 am »
I didn't throw up either (so maybe you won't ...) but i drank so many of those vanilla nutrition drinks that when i see something similar now, i feel like throwing up!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

tenai98

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 09:32:31 am »
I did not throw up either. Whenever it was meal time I always asked for Gravol, which I received most times by intravenous.  but after a few days I tried eating without the gravol, and I was fine.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 02:39:28 pm »
FWIW: 

I wasn't hungry the first day post-op.  The second day a nurse 'forced' me to eat something (she said she wouldn't leave until I ate).  By the 3rd day post-op, food looked better and by Day 4, I proved I was actually hungry by eating the uniquely bland, almost-cold hospital food.  I never vomited and after Day 1, I never really felt nauseous.  Clearly, everyone has a slightly different post-op experience.  There simply is no 'standard' recovery with AN surgery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 09:09:21 pm »
They give you lots of anti nausea drugs because of the nature of the surgery too.
Just tell the anesthesiologist that you need lots of anti nausea meds after the surgery.

Take some peppermints with you. I was very nauseous for a week, even with all the high powered anti-nausea drugs they gave me. Peppermints worked better than any of them!

Also - I don't think I ate anything for at least 5 days. My taste was affected and was very hard to eat when 1. it tastes awful and 2. you feel like it's going to come right back up. :(

Good luck to you. Think positive. The mind is a very powerful thing.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

stevek

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 11:08:20 pm »
The first thing I thought of after waking was, this thing gagging my throat is going to make me barf!  Awesome I can feel my throat-it worked!  Prior to that my throat, teeth and gum's were numb.  Then the flood gates opened and they didn't put the respirator back in, just an oxygen mask.  I was happy and knew things would be good.

Stevek
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

Tamara

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 05:11:45 am »
I never thought to myself "I made it" because I never really doubted that I would.  When I first cracked an eye open after surgery, it felt like I would imagine a roller coaster on acid would.  Shut my eye again quickly.  I certainly didn't feel like eating but never vomited.  Whatever I had in the IV (morphine, maybe) for pain made me very itchy.  I was semiconscious at best and ended up blowing the IVs because I was scratching everywhere.  If I ever have future surgeries (which I hope to avoid), I plan to make sure that Benadryl is on the med list if needed. 

The ICU was full so I spent the night in the OR Recovery room.  This was WONDERFUL!  I was the only person there all night and had 3 bored nurses at my beck and call.  They brought be ice chips (instantly upon request) and gave me a sponge bath in the bed because I'd been so hot & sweaty.  For some reason I was very, very hot, even though the room is kept very cool.  Also, that night there was a storm and lightening hit the hospital and knocked out the air conditioning.  The only rooms on the generator for air conditioning were the OR and OR Recovery Room - Yay!  Sometimes things work out.

Best wishes to all upcoming posties!
Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

tenai98

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 05:57:58 am »
I went thur periods of being extremely hot and then cold...One nurse mentioned menopause...nooooooooo I ssid I was 3 yrs post meopause and never had the night sweats...This was right after surgery and my body felt like a lead weight..The night nurses were great in uncovering me and the covering me back up. Not so when the day nurse came in....She made me do it...Boy was I irritated at her but I realized it was best for me...She is also the one who convinced me to eat something on the second day.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

cindyj

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 08:41:25 am »
The night nurses were great in uncovering me and the covering me back up. Not so when the day nurse came in....She made me do it...Boy was I irritated at her but I realized it was best for me...She is also the one who convinced me to eat something on the second day.

That tough love thing, Jo!  It is hard, but sometimes we must be pushed a bit...I would likely not have gotten up out of that hospital bed on day 3 if the physical therapy guy hadn't bullied me out...so glad he did, though, as there's no telling how long I would have stayed in the hospital ::)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

epodjn

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 10:48:11 am »
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who was burning up hot after surgery. Others I've told about it think it's weird. I guess I'm in good company.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 03:19:31 pm »
I never thought to myself "I made it" because I never really doubted that I would.

Tamara ~

Allow me to clarify: I never thought for a moment that I wouldn't live through the surgery.  Upon awakening, I simply realized that it was over ("I made it") and I could get on with my life, which had been totally dominated by my AN diagnosis for the previous 3 weeks.  I'm pleased to state that things went well from that point on. :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tamara

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »
Jim
  Aha - I understand.  Good to know you weren't that worried! :)

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 09:36:00 am »
What a great and, at times, funny thread.  I haven't made the decision yet, but reading this helped overcome one of my biggest fears.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."