Author Topic: And ... as long as I'm waiting ... when you 1st woke up from surg ...  (Read 14738 times)

Jeepers

what were you're first thoughts?

(a) thank God I survived
(b) wow! that was fast!
(c) holey-moley ... this is some pretty major *@#$

probably all three, right?

Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

tenai98

the first thing that came to mind, was Cand I smile?
I sure did.
Second thing was wow, done already, really its 3pm??  ( start time was 8am)
third thing was..ok were is the pain??
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
First thing was wondering where my hubby was, and wondering if anyone had told him that I made it through OK.  Once that was answered, I wondered if I could smile.
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Jeep ~

Good question!  I was very groggy but recall thinking 'I made it'!  I went in and out of sleep (I was extremely fatigued from the 9-hour surgery).  It was a bit later that I did the requisite 'face check' to see if everything was still mobile.  It was, so I went back to sleep.  Later, I remember my wife being there (she didn't leave the hospital for almost 3 days) and talking to her to assure her that I was 'fine' (all things considered).  About that point I began plotting how soon I could convince my doctor to release me.  It took almost 5 days but I finally 'escaped'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
Hi Jeep,
When I first realized that I had survived was in ICU, but I was so extremely weak I actually considered not to breathe because it was so heavy. I only had a pulse of 47 beats per minute and I didn't have the strength to open my eyes. When my hubby got to ICU he just touched my arm, but I actually thought I hurt. I was so very tired and weak and I was afraid of feeling like that, but I got better day by day and now I'm almost three week post-op and I'm feeling fine. I'm getting used to being SSD and I also have some balance issues, but life is good!  :D

Best to you all from Helene  :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

dufreyne

Good question.  I distinctly remember the experience.  The first thing I saw was my blonde ICU nurse standing in front of a light and she had a glow about her head due to the light.  She said, "hello Lee, my name is Madonna."  I was a bit shocked.  I thought to myself, "the bad news is that I'm dead, the good news is that I'm in heaven!".  I had a long chuckle over that.

When my wife arrived to see me, I actually didn't want to see her, because I knew I looked like crap and frankly I didn't want her to see me in that condition.  I remember hearing her talk to the nurses as they tried in vain to explain my position to her.  I heard her say "Telll him that I bore 4 of his children and I'm coming back".  It was then that I really knew that I had survived!

It is a bit surreal.  It was certainly the single most physically challenging thing I have endured in my lifetime.  I am stronger because of it...

Dufreyne--

Kathy M

• Kathy
Great question...a trip down memory lane for me!

I was so groggy, no pain, but my neck was really stiff.  The ICU nurse asked me if I wanted to see my family (who had been waiting for 8 hours and we are very close, by the way) and I said "no!"  I have no idea why I said that, and they had to wait until the next visiting time, 45 minutes later!!!!  I felt so guilty but they were terrific and knew I wasn't quite right!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jeepers

Good question.  I distinctly remember the experience.  The first thing I saw was my blonde ICU nurse standing in front of a light and she had a glow about her head due to the light.  She said, "hello Lee, my name is Madonna."  I was a bit shocked.  I thought to myself, "the bad news is that I'm dead, the good news is that I'm in heaven!".  I had a long chuckle over that.

Dufreyne--

HAH!! That made me laugh, Dufreyne!  ;D
Recovering well!

Jeepers

... now I'm almost three week post-op and I'm feeling fine. I'm getting used to being SSD and I also have some balance issues, but life is good!  :D

Best to you all from Helene  :)

That's very encouraging Helene!!
Recovering well!

Jeepers

These are all very interesting replies! I'm kind of in a state of calm, decision-wise right now (although the scheduling gal can certainly give me a call any time she's ready  >:(), but when I think how things are never quite the same as you imagine them to be, I'm curious how this will play out post-op. Everyone here has really provided a great sense of reassurance ... especially when you consider how frantic we probably all were when we were diagnosed and going thru the decision-making process.

I have to say, everyone sounds so relaxed about post-op.  Not to minimize the grandess of brain surgery in the least, your sharings here are, as I said, very reassuring
... and I appreciate that!   :)
Recovering well!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: And ... as long as I'm waiting ... when you 1st woke up from surg ...
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 04:21:36 am »
  I dont remember the first 24 hours after surgery ... I was kinda a mess .. I remember thinking what time is it ? saw that it was early in the morning and wondered , boy how did they do this so quickly .. that is until I realized it was the next day!!!

I dont remeber this,  but right after surgery, I was not really awake yet -- by wife asked if "I wanted a mushroom pie" ... I made a ugly face and mumbled no ... she knew I was still in there ... now you have to know me ... I eat everything and anything .. but one thing ... muchrooms .....  ;D  :o

I spent a couple of extra days in ICU .. but a week later.. I was out !!

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

joebloggs

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 05:27:43 am »
Hi Jeepers!

The first thing I thought when I opened my eyes and saw my friend there was "woo hoo", I even took my mask off and said a tiny little "woo hoo" in a Homer Simpson style apparently.  Then I thought wow, no pain.  Then I thought, oh my god the room is spinning I'm going to be.... sick.  And I was.  Good times!  I felt hot and my mask was annoying me but that's all.  Apparently I got too hot at one point and they took a plastic sheet thing off the bed underneath me because i was warming up so much on top of it.  Then they gave me a cool bed bath thing... I barely remember it.  I remember thinking someone is washing me and thinking that they were being really nice in pulling one leg out and doing that then putting it back under the sheet and pulling the other leg out etc.  I distinctly remember thinking, that's so nice of her, she's not just pulling the sheet back and showing everyone what I had for breakfast!  Then I fell asleep again. 

You'll be fine!

JB x
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

TP

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 06:18:59 am »
When I woke up in post op after 9 hours of surgery there were about 8 people standing around me and the first thing I noticed was I could smell so many different smells. I hadn't realized my sense of smell was impacted by my tumor. I could smell perfume, BO, hospital smells, deodorant. It was really strange, then I noticed there were double the amount of people standing around. I remember saying am I alive and my surgeon said yes that I made it thru and everything is fine. Then I told him I was seeing double. That sorta didn't hit me until a few days later....
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 06:44:34 am »
My first words after 2 of my surgeries and maybe 3 were   I'm going to throw up!      And I did.     Wasn't a huge amount and they would always give me meds for it.               Then I would ask what time is it?                I was always much more sleepy past the mid fossas and awake easier with the translab.                     The CSF leak was very easy after and awake right away and stayed awake.                               I just so hope never again with brain surgery!
                                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cindyj

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 07:19:19 am »
My first thought was why is it SO LOUD and such strange noises (all in my head) and then, I quickly asked for nausea meds...repeat for three days... ;), THEN, I thought, wow, I did get through it...and you can too!
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings