Author Topic: And ... as long as I'm waiting ... when you 1st woke up from surg ...  (Read 14741 times)

OTO

Re: And ... as long as I'm waiting ... when you 1st woke up from surg ...
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 07:57:19 pm »
I remember having a bunch of people looking at me..  it was all a blur because I didn't have my glasses on ... but I assume it was one of the surgeons, the ICU nurse and the assigned hospitalist.    They wanted me to talk, blink my eyes and try to smile.   All I remember was thinking ... why are these people waking me up, when all I want to do is sleep.... leave me alone...

alwaysthere

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 08:55:13 pm »
As my surgery date of June 25th gets closer, I've wondered the same . This has been very interesting reading and a good laugh on a few. Having had several surgeries already, It is strange as to what you think of the very first thing upon waking.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

moe

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 12:14:33 am »
I woke up to my husband saying, "I'm going to leave now, OK?" (it was after midnight)
I thought why are you leaving, I just woke up?
Apparently, I was slow in coming around and maybe slightly awake, but do not remember talking to him.
The next thing I thought was  "I have a %$#^ of a headache" which continued through that long first night :'(  along with throwing up :'( :'( :'(
But the first 3 days don't count, remember!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 05:58:48 am »
C

Definitely C

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 08:01:54 am »
It was SUCH a long time ago...but I do remember them telling us that morning that they would not take me to Recovery - I would stay in the OR until they thought that they could move me and then take me straight to ICU since it would be so late.  They knew that the surgery would be at least 12 hours, possibly more...since it was 14, it was very late.  My SIL was a recovery room nurse and so she had tried to prepare everyone for what I would look like after being under for that long...guess she didn't get the point across because all I remember (besides all the crazy nightmares all night) is seeing the looks of horror on everyone's faces when I saw them in the hall when they were taking me to ICU.  For some reason, I remember being in the hall and next to the steel doors of the elevator!  The next few days were in & out...but I made it thru and am alive to tell about it!!  ;)

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 06:37:45 am »
I woke up in my room in neuro ICU and saw my doctor then the clock and thought, 'gee it sure is late... I don't think I've ever slept so long in my life... I'm VERY VERY thirsty.'
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

epodjn

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 02:13:22 pm »
The first thing I thought about was can I blink. I remember trying and being very happy because i thought i could, but it was only Bell Phenomanon. But I didn't figure that out for another day or so.
Second thought was I wish someone would stop the room from spinning. It was making me so sick.
Third thought - I was so hot and wanted water but they wouldn't give it to me. The next best thing was my son's cold hands. They felt so good i didn't want to let go.
No one prepared my family for what i would look like after a 12 hour surgery so I did have a lot of shocked looks also. My poor daughter ran out of the room crying. I didn't realize it was me that had her upset. I really felt pretty good once the room stopped spinning. The next day I was allowed to get up and saw myself in the mirror and then I figured it out.
But the first three days don't count - that's for sure!!
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

MissMolly

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 02:25:22 pm »
Hey Jeepers,

This was a great topic, particularly since I'm waiting for surgery in less than 10 days now.  I most likely will be one of the "I'm gonna throw up" ones, but am hoping to avert that!!   :D

It's good to hear that people came through with a sense of humor.  That counts for sooooooo much.

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 04:03:24 pm »
You know what is so funny (ironic)?  I have had several surgeries since my AN & get VERY sick & nauseous after each - to the point of them now taking special precautions - but don't remember getting sick AT  ALL after 14 HOURS of anesthesia (so?)!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

heyct

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 04:23:27 pm »
1. I can't breathe! The oxygen face mask was just being pulled off my face. They must've turned it off a bit too soon.
2. I'm gonna throw up! and did.
3. My husband patting my arm telling me "they got it all". Relief, only 10 days later at my post-op appt. I found out there was still a small bit left  :-[
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

Jeepers

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 07:58:27 pm »
I'll bet I'll be one of the pukers too!  ;D

I'm counting on being very doped up. I've been known to succumb to anxiety attacks and as I ponder the upcoming event, I imagine panicing as I'm unable to move, have a mask over my face, or some similar scenario.   :-[
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 09:42:49 pm »
I remember
1. waking up and realizing that although the room wasn't spinning (my biggest fear) it wasn't exacly stable either, but as long as I kept my eyes closed it was tolerable.
2. Being very nauseous
3. wanting to go back to sleep but couldn't because some other dude in the ICU was out of his mind and yelling all night. It was horrible. I kept thinking that the ICU that my daughter was in way back when at Mayo Clinic in Rochester was NOTHING like this!
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 10:39:26 pm »
First I asked if they got it all...no answer
Then I asked how long I'd been out...around 11 hours
Where's my husband, did you tell him?  Did you tell him I'm ok???  Go get him, he's got to be worried sick!
They asked me for my pain level and I hollered back, ITS A NINE (didn't want to say 10 because, well, what if it got worse?) 
Ice chips were my very best friend and they will probably be yours too.

After about an hour my husband and parents were allowed to come back to neuro ICU and we visited for a couple of hours.  I don't remember much of the conversation but I do remember feeling no pain after the whole NINE incident (thank you morphine).

I stayed in the hospital for 3 nights and now only deal with SSD and manageable balance problems. 

Best wishes to you, when is your surgery? 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 07:00:58 am »
All I remember is seeing the doctor,  3 friends/coworkers, & then vomiting forever !.  Then I realized 1/2 my face was paralyzed,  WHEW, what a nightmare !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 05:53:11 pm »
I'll bet I'll be one of the pukers too!  ;D

I'm counting on being very doped up. I've been known to succumb to anxiety attacks and as I ponder the upcoming event, I imagine panicing as I'm unable to move, have a mask over my face, or some similar scenario.   :-[

Don't stress too much.  I don't recall being unable to move or having a mask over my face - or any other "freaky" scenarios.

I was a puker the first time they made me sit up and put my legs over the side of the bed - so if you lose your lunch, just remember you're in good company  ;)  I think in my case it was the spinning room that did me in.

I told Dr. Battista that the whole experience reminded me of the first (and last) time I was good and drunk - back in college.   The spinning room and the puking just added to the memory.  I recall him being quite amused  :D

Humor can get you through a lot of situations post-op; I highly recommend it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways