Author Topic: situations leading to dizzy spells?  (Read 8517 times)

ellenblais

situations leading to dizzy spells?
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:02:59 pm »
I was diagnosed last January with a 2mm by 4mm AN and elected the watch and wait option.  My diagnosis was preceded by about a month of generalized dizziness and what I thought was wax buildup, which I'm prone to.  Between the MRI and the visit to discuss it, I had a full blown vertigo attack and ended up in the ER.  Since then, I've had two "almost" vertigo attacks, both associated with stressful events not connected with AN.  Has anyone noted that dizziness or vertigo attacks are connected with general stress levels?

Vivian B.

Re: situations leading to dizzy spells?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:52:41 pm »
Hi Ellenblais,

I found that being stressed out makes my symtomps worse. However, since you have been having vertigo attacks, it would be good to have a balance test done just to see where you are at. You can speak to your doctor about it and see what he or she thinks. I had a balance test done a week ago and found out that I lost 49% of the nerve balance in my AN ear , however, I haven't felt it much supposedly because it was a gradual loss and my left ear has learned to compensate for the right. There are a lot of symptoms one experiences with these ANs. You will find that most of the people on the forum have experienced the same issues. The good thing is you are not alone and you can learn a lot here and get a lot of support. Hope you get well soon!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

foodsmarts

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:15:09 am »
Hi. I too have a small An, 5 mm by 5 mm and was diagnosed in November 2008. Elected watch and wait. About 2 months
ago I had a serious vertigo episode which lasted a couple of days. Afterwards I was left with a general feeling of dizziness,
wonky head and unrelenting balance issues - I wake up with it and the condition doesn't change. I haven't noticed a relationship to stress. In addition, I have regular stabbing pains in the back of the ear and my ability to perceive sweetness has diminished by about 50%. As a consequence, everything tastes somewhat bitter. I'm scheduled for a second MRI next week and this will be followed with a consultation with my neurologist. At this point, in the face of this cascade of symptoms I'm thinking I'll stop watching and waiting and move forward with some kind of treatment. Has anyone else experienced an array of such symptoms so quickly? Does anyone else continual balance problems...what I'm reading in the forum sounds more like periodic episodes.

This forum has been a tremendous help for me - can anyone comment on the upcoming conference in Chicago? Do you think it
would be worthwhile for someone researching treatment options?
5.4mm X 3.2mm X 3.88 mm at diagnosis 8/28/08; 1.1 cm X .5 cm 6/16/09; CK Stanford Drs. Chang and Soltys 8/19/09

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:31:54 pm »
can anyone comment on the upcoming conference in Chicago? Do you think it would be worthwhile for someone researching treatment options?

Definitely!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

suboo73

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:56:31 am »
I too have a small An, 5 mm by 5 mm and was diagnosed in November 2008.

Hi Ellenblais and Foodsmarts! 

I read your posts and the phrase 'small but mighty' comes to mind. 
So sorry about the vertigo.  I have had one bout lasting about 2 minutes (but it sure seemed like forever!)

I think stress increases some symptoms for me, and being tired.  So then i just try to remove myself from the situation, if possible.

I am glad you both have found the Forum!
Best wishes for finding your answers on this crazy AN journey.   ::)

Also, find some doctors who really UNDERSTAND ANs and have lots and lots of experience. 
I believe this is very important, having been misdiagnosed for 12+ years.

Take care and keep asking your questions!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:01:54 am »
Stress in ones life is definately going to hurt you if not dealt with properly. How do you deal with stress? Thats hard to say but you must find a way to not let it get to the point where it will make you sick. Thats what I try to do, Mickey

Keeping Up

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 07:30:09 pm »
Hi Ellenblais

I definitely think stress makes my light-headedness/dizzy spells a lot worse - but thankfully they are very infrequent.  I have also gotten to the point, 7 months post-diagonosis, that this small AN will not cause me any harm so just don't worry about it as much (which helps a lot as well).

I did have an interesting bout with the spins in bed on the weekend - not much drinking, but every time I rolled over in bed, the whole world spun.  It must have happened 5 times.  When I finally sat up and opened my eyes, the whole room was spinning - very odd sensation.  I went sailing that afternoon and was very worried about walking the narrow part of the boat as I think I was off kilter most of the day.  Thankfully - it has happened since.  So, the spells come and go.  I find it kind of funny now (helps with the anxiety) but wouldn't have been laughing if I had fallen overboard.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

suz

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 09:31:54 pm »
Hello,
I have noticed increassed dizziness when tired or stressed - but the two factors that effect my dizzy sensations are dehydration and hormones! Sorry guys, but PMS can be blamed for more than just crankiness and bloating! For years before my AN was diagnosed I had increased dizziness around THAT time of the month. Lucklily now, that time of the month happens only once or twice a year!
Anyway, I hope that your symptoms subside. I am a little nutty about hydration - but I do think good hydration can prevent/help alot of physical symptoms and infections and certainly can't hurt.
SUz :)
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

frank

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 01:01:05 pm »
Hi Ellenblasis:
I have not noticed the severe vertigo you mention. My imbalance thus far is very minor. I do seem to be able to detect that I have certain days when my balance seems to be a little off in comparison to other days. I also seem to believe that my off balance days seem to correlate to general tiredness, as when I have not had a good night's sleep the evening before. I am aware that others have made comments about tiredness being a factor with balance issues.
Frank
4/07 MRI 8x5x6 mm  AN, RS  
Partial hearing loss and tinnitus 
4/08 MRI 10x5x5 mm
No additional hearing loss
4/09 MRI 1.2 cm , 6mm in AP dia, small mushroom shaped component into CB angle cistern. No additional hearing loss
Gamma Knife 11/09 Univ Hosp GK Ctr, Syracuse
Dr Hahn & Woods

BBrock

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 01:20:05 pm »
Hey there,

I had a gambit of things that would make me dizzy and stress was definately one of them.  I also seemed to be affected by sudden bright light (going from dark to light) or loud sounds (metal door slamming).  I was originally diagnosed in November and opted to watch and wait, but after my next MRI and 6 months of not feeling very steady on my feet went ahead and had the little bugger removed this last Monday.  Now I feel like I can move forward again once I recover my balance.

Brian

LisaP

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 05:29:42 pm »
Hi

Sorry I'm late with this response but yes my dizziness and balance issues get worse when I am stressed or tired!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

B9

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:54:04 am »
I have been on watch & wait for years with a one cent. tumor. Recently however, the attacks of dizziness have worsened to the point that I might decide to have it treated with radiosurgery. I have noticed the attacks can be triggered by cool air from a nearby open widow as I sleep, air conditioning directly hitting me, and stress. Happens on a monthly basis now. I can control it pretty much with meclizine and just walking around, but it is a terrible sensation that prevents you from doing things like driving, reading or thinking about much else. When I wake up with the room spinning, I know I'm in for a lost day - at least.
The recent conference in Chicago was helpful. I connected with a doc. who specializes in dizziness. Not sure if he wants his name up on the board. Can moderator help me with that?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 11:01:15 am »
The recent conference in Chicago was helpful. I connected with a doc. who specializes in dizziness. Not sure if he wants his name up on the board. Can moderator help me with that?

Hi B9... I'm hoping I got to meet you in Chicago.  If you are noting a dr that presented at the symposium, it is absolutely ok to note it here. :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

B9

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »
At the recent symposium in Chicago, Dr. Timothy Hain (aka "The Dizzy Doctor") who is a neurologist at Northwestern Univ. Chicago, ran a workshop in which he covered the basics of dealing with dizziness and balance issues. The following may be old news to some of you, but others may find it helpful. Dr. Hain discussed the use  Meclizine and/or Valium for initial suppression of symptoms to be followed up with active excercise to speed recovery. Vomiting can be controlled through prescription drugs as well.The affected side needs to allow the normal side to kick in and "teach" it how to regain balance. The eyes, feet, inner ear and auditory clues all contribute to a "well balanced" living experience. Therapists can prescribe specific excercises. Also, he noted, changes in environmement can trigger an episode of dizziness. He stressed the concept of pushing yourself to physically stay active after an attack. Try not to go back to bed or the couch, if you can avoid it. It will only delay recovery.

Cheryl R

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 03:10:20 pm »
We have already mentioned here their website which is www.dizziness-and-balance.com             There were several of us from here who went to that session.         I thought it was very good.
                                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care