Author Topic: Catlover´s Postie Story  (Read 30657 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: Catlover´s Postie Story
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2009, 06:22:25 am »
Mats & Helene,

I enjoy reading these posts on Helene's progress and I remember my recovery as I had my own issues after surgery. Yes, there are a few 'bumps in the road' but it seems Helene is doing great.  Please keep posting and keep us informed.

Wishing you both well,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2009, 06:23:54 am »
I wonder how long Helene will let me share the everyday life of our family here...  Inviting strage people to our house and showing private pictures...

Hey, who you calling strange??  ;)

Actually your update on Helene is right on target.  While she isn't necessary feeling "good", her progress is on track and in those terms, she is doing quite well.  One of the key things in the recovery process is patience - and it's often linked to taking baby steps.  Hopefully Helene is feeling a little better every day - this was my post op experience - and eventually there will be a day where she feels "good".  There will be good and bad days along the road, but she'll get there.

As Sue mentioned, the AN Journey often brings a "new" you.  It's not necessarily bad, just different.

Jan

Sue, I have never seen Sweden - or Italy for that matter - but I think Helene and Mats would be great hosts.  We'd have to con Phyl out of the moderator's jet though; money's tight at the moment  ::)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2009, 06:34:00 am »
Helene, if you are taking 2km walks in the forest, we are going to call it amazing!  ;)

So far the facts are great. Hopefully as the weeks pass, the feelings will catch up!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2009, 06:39:12 am »
Mats .....

I certainly hope Helene lets you continue with your updates!  And, I hope she feels like joining in very soon.  As others have said a big part of recovery from AN surgery is learning patience.  It is not a quick fix.  Each day she will be improving but she needs to look back a week or soon look back a month and then she will see how much improvement there has been.  There will also be days when she feels like she is going backwards.  This is normal in the recovery process.

As for visiting Sweden, I think we should charter a plane and all of us come for a big gathering in your gorgeous backyard!  Thanks so much for the great pictures .... and for allowing us to share some of your lives.

Keep posting.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2009, 07:00:05 am »
Helene~
Just for the record - I, for one, am more concerned about YOU falling in the river than the messy floor that MATS would have to clean up!!   ;D  Be safe!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

largecat

« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2009, 02:12:28 pm »
The magic moment is getting closer.. I actually saw my wife sitting by the laptop reading!  :o  But, right now she is cleaning the aquarium.. Can you understand how she can place some stupids fishes before you in the list of priorities? I mean, fishes belong in the lakes and rivers, or maybe in the frying pan. Fishes in glass bowls are sooo out... and useless.. almost as useless as cats...  but at least we can eat the fishes..

::) ;D
/mats  - "catlovers" husband

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2009, 02:21:13 pm »
The magic moment is getting closer.. I actually saw my wife sitting by the laptop reading!  :o  But, right now she is cleaning the aquarium.. Can you understand how she can place some stupids fishes before you in the list of priorities? I mean, fishes belong in the lakes and rivers, or maybe in the frying pan. Fishes in glass bowls are sooo out... and useless.. almost as useless as cats...  but at least we can eat the fishes..

::) ;D

ROFL! Oh, Mats... whatever you are enjoying for liquid beverage, save me a glass, will ya? :)

How DARE Helene push us off for the fish.. esp. since there is a cat to oversee their *coff* activities!  :o  :o  ;)  ;D

*begins to whisper....*

Helene... Helene... over here... come see us... we miss you... oh, Helene.......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2009, 10:29:15 pm »
Dear Helene -

I don't know how you put up with that husband of yours  ;)  :D  ;D

Accusing you of preferring fishes over us  :o  :D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

largecat

« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2009, 01:13:01 am »
Ppearl - the beverage is : http://www.islaymist.com/. I know this kind of whisky is not so popular on your side of the pond, is a completely different experience compared to what you call Bourbon or Scotch. The Islay Mist is however a good starting point to prepare you for the really heavy stuff,  the Single Malt Islay Whiskys - these are the kings in the world of whisky, I think.

About my wife - I can see in the log that she was in here..  but probably she gave up...  I mean, all the nonsens, jokes and off topic has completely spoiled a serious post-op thread. She told me this was a place for serious conversations, medical advice and support. But, what do I find? Complete anarchy! People talking about men in shorts paddling standing, alcoholic beverages, and renting aeroplanes for trips halfway around the globe - JUST FOR FUN? No, I understand if poor Helene will not get back to this forum. It's just not the same anymore...  We all remember the good old days when...   .... naahh... 

Better stop now - have better things to do...

;)
/mats  - "catlovers" husband

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2009, 02:45:30 pm »
No, I understand if poor Helene will not get back to this forum. It's just not the same anymore...  We all remember the good old days when...   .... naahh... 

Better stop now - have better things to do...;)

This place was usually serious and serene until a big Swedish fellow came along and upset the decorum, posting about fishes, malt whiskey and such.  Such frivolity!  ;)  (We'll let it go, this time, for the sake of maintaining good international relations).

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2009, 02:49:40 pm »
Hello everyone,
A million thanks for all best wishes and incredible support from all of you  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I can't say how grateful I am!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

As one of my collegues at work , who was visiting the forum to follow what Mats was writing, said "You have so many great friends and a lot of support out there. I can't believe that people who don't know you can be so kind och generous". That is also what is amazing me every time I log in to meet all of you. You are like a second lovely, big family of mine. Love you all a lot!   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Today it's ten days since surgery and I'm feeling much better than I thought I would. I'm still quite dizzy and a have a very big wonky head on my shoulders. It feels like my head weights 30 kilos and that it is not correctly connected to the rest of the body. I'm also SSD, I think. It's a bit tricky to know if you hear something on the bad ear or if the sounds around you are picked up by the good ear, but when I put the telephone to the  AN ear I hear nothing, so I'm no among the SSDs I suppose.

I was a bit shocked to notice that all sounds become so much louder now than when I was hearing perfectly with both my ears. Everything also sounds differently than before, even my own voice doesn't sound that it used to, but I suppose that the brain adjust sooner or later. But right now it is exhausting with all common sounds. My brain and body are still in some kind of ALARM level and it feels like every movement and sound that's coming to my awareness is threathening. I have to convince myself that I won't die if I take a walk with Mats althought there are a lot of movements and sounds/noices everywhere.

The tinnitus is just about as it was before the surgery and I'm very thankful about that. I've understand that it can be much worse after surgery than before for some people. I hope it will stay the way it is right now and not becoming worse. The two days following surgery day I heard some music and some bumble bees in the ear, but thank God, they are gone now.

I am also very, very grateful about that the double vision is more or less gone by now. It slowly disappeared the day I went home from hospital. I don't know if it was all the eye exercises I had to do when I met the eye expert before going home that corrected the double vision. In the afternoon I could quit being a pirate and I put my pirate patch away. I was so happy about that!

I have noticed that it is a bit difficult to keep the eye lubricated when I'm outside. Today, it was no problem, but it was hot here today, but yesterday evening it was a bit cold when Mats and I went for a half hour walk and then it was difficult to blink with the eye because it felt very dry. Hope this will correct itself by time and meantime I maybe need some kind of eye drops when I'm outside and it's windy.

What I am most impressed by is the incredible work made by the surgeons Dr Siesjö and Dr ... during and after surgery. Althought my AN was located at the end of the IAC and was very, very sticky, they could get it all outside and they could preserve the facial nerve. I have no facial issues at all!! I can smile and I can whistle and blow up my cheeks with air and everything!! I didn't count on that when I got informed about the location of the AN the day before surgery. I was sure I would get total paralysis after surgery because it was located so far away in the IAC canal. I can't describe how grateful I am to both the surgeons but also the rest of the staff that took care of me at the hospital. Without them I feel like I wouldn't be alive today. If you ever read this THANK YOU!!!

As a summary I can say that there are a lot of things to be grateful for. Of course I mustn't forget to be grateful to my dear, dear hubby Mats who has been (and is) an incredible support to me and he is also so good at computers and reporting on the forum. I think he does it much better than I do. I have been reading some of the threads about my post-op but I haven't finished them all yet, so maybe I'm repeating the same things that Mats told you about, but I hope you can cope with that.

Now, I'm beginning to get tired, I had better take a little cat nap again!  

Best wishes from Sweden and from Helene, Mats, our teenagers and of cours our cat Stickan,  :D

Love you all!      :) :) :) :) :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

Kaybo

« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2009, 03:01:42 pm »
Helene~
So great to hear from YOU!!  Sounds like everything is going along really well and you are doing just fine!  So glad that they were able to preserve your facial nerve too!!  Keep on smiling that lovely smile!!  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2009, 03:20:58 pm »
Yea, Helene  ;D  You're back  ;D

We missed you! 

While I love Mats sense of humor, it's so good to hear from you in person.

Sounds like your recovery is going well, some of the things you mention - like the loud sounds, the wonkyhead, etc., - will go away in time.

You're doing great!  Make sure you get lots of rest - and no vacuuming!!

Jan

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2009, 03:42:14 pm »
Hi again Jan and K,

It's lovely to be here and now I have read all the threads from Mats and what can I say - this is the way he is! Just incredible and I do think you all understand why I love his homour and everything else about him. He is refreshing my life everyday! He's much funnier than I am, but I'll take that! It's very funny for me too, to read what he is writing. He has always been good at Engish and writing as well (and you all know by now that he is good at almost everything) so it's pure pleasure for me reading about your conversation as well. It's very nice if Mats will stay on the forum,  I think. We can be here both of us!

Love you all! Have to go to bed. It's 11.40 pm in Sweden now so it's beginning to get late, but as Mats have told you I like the bed best in the morning.  :D

I also have to admit that the phos were nice, but I have terrible hair. I hope that I'll get the stiches away on Monday and then I will wash my hair, let's say at least 10 times.   :)

Helene

What a lovely idea to rent a plane and get to Sweden all of you!
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

sgerrard

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2009, 03:58:12 pm »
It's very nice if Mats will stay on the forum,  I think. We can be here both of us!

We'd be happy to keep both of you. :)

You sound good, Helene. I'm sure there will be some lingering things for a while, but you are headed to a good recovery, thank goodness. Rest and be well.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.