Author Topic: Catlover´s Postie Story  (Read 30690 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Catlover´s Postie Story
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2009, 01:57:57 pm »
Mats,
What great progress!  I'm so happy she is doing well and soon home.  But, NO housework, especially vacuuming for, like, forever, ok?  It's one of the few perks of brain surgery.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2009, 02:03:42 pm »

Mats:

Splendid news that helene is coming home on Tuesday!  :) 

is there no moderator here to control people like me?

Yes, there is - 4 of us, in fact, and we're watching you!  So far you've not broken any rules.  You've been a fun guy and a good husband to our Helene.  Thanks for your contributions here.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2009, 02:25:20 pm »
NO housework, especially vacuuming

Hey, where do I sign up for that?!

Welcome Home tomorrow, Helene!
You're lucky to have such a fun guy around the house.

My lingonberry patch has blossoms this year!  You just can't find information about how to make that happen, so not sure why it's been such a challenge.  Any advice would be appreciated.  And send a recipe that only takes 1/2 cup, please.

Tack så mycket!
Nancy

Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

largecat

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2009, 03:55:29 pm »
Behind the jokes - of course I have worried, I know you see beyond the facade. I noticed today, the first day at work, that nothing seemed really important. I just could not focus on any of the projects that I have running.

I tried to listen to myself...  A sense of relief of course, but strange enough also some kind of disappointment? Guess I was preparing for a worst case scenario, and when it did not happen it takes some time to get used to not living on the edge. Less adrenalin, less exitment - just a long road to help my wife back. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to get my wife home, but there is a strange feeling - something like a firefighter arriving to the scene finding it was a false alarm. Wierd.. and I have some problems finding the best words... I still think it's a good idea to share it - maybe there are others that have felt the same?

We talked before about how life goes on, with teenage kids...  And before having dinner tonight we did a small family project...  It's got absolutely nothing to do with AN, but I think some distraction from the usual can't hurt anyone here. It's definately not more OT than lingonberrries (I would put them in a small bottle and pour Vodka over them, and a lump of sugar)

This is what Oliver (camera and mixing), Elinor (stunt driver) and I (director) did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps6g_u1l8AA

Just for fun... and that thing in the clips sure is a family toy...  even for Helene - but she will never admit it..   :D

/mats  - "catlovers" husband

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2009, 07:57:24 pm »
Behind the jokes - of course I have worried, I know you see beyond the facade. I noticed today, the first day at work, that nothing seemed really important. I just could not focus on any of the projects that I have running.

I tried to listen to myself...  A sense of relief of course, but strange enough also some kind of disappointment? Guess I was preparing for a worst case scenario, and when it did not happen it takes some time to get used to not living on the edge. Less adrenalin, less exitment - just a long road to help my wife back. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to get my wife home, but there is a strange feeling - something like a firefighter arriving to the scene finding it was a false alarm. Wierd.. and I have some problems finding the best words... I still think it's a good idea to share it - maybe there are others that have felt the same?

This is what Oliver (camera and mixing), Elinor (stunt driver) and I (director) did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps6g_u1l8AA

Just for fun... and that thing in the clips sure is a family toy...  even for Helene - but she will never admit it..   :D

Mats,

Cute video...Nice distraction... Elinor did well!

Your changed feeling is to be expected. We are all changed by our AN's.  I remember thinking that "Life Happens and this kind of thing can happen to me too!"  There is sort of this expectation when you are younger that it happens to other people.  You have been through a lot and now all of the sudden you are regaining time...time to think...and knowledge that your wife has been through a major surgery.  You sound like you are reevaluating what is important. 

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2009, 07:38:54 am »
Mats,
I think your suggestion of the adrenalin effect hits the nail on the head.  It is a powerful drug.  But you've probably already recovered from the let-down of relief.  Now it will be the euphoria of a good outcome.
Nice film-making.  Wish I could learn to do that.  Maybe next winter.
Enjoy the homecoming party.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

largecat

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2009, 08:43:06 am »

Bags are packed!

45 minutes later - settled on veranda.

/mats  - "catlovers" husband

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2009, 10:40:36 am »
Helene .....

You look wonderful!  ... and standing upright with no assistance .... that's amazing!  Now, just rest and relax and let your body heal.

Mats ....  Thanks for all of the great pictures.  Good job on the video ..... it was fun to watch, as well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2009, 12:17:53 pm »
There is NO WAY on this EARTH that I looked that good when I left the hospital!!

Snaps for you!!
K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2009, 12:49:57 pm »
Helene,

absolutely unbelievable! You look absolute fantastic! :)

Mats, thank you SO much for sharing these!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2009, 02:07:50 pm »
Wow, Helene you look great.  Keep resting and take good care of yourself.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cindyj

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2009, 05:02:23 pm »
So glad to see that you are home!  Do take it easy...but do walk some...nap...be as active as possible...yet be careful...something like that! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2009, 05:08:38 pm »
Helene,

What a nice veranda to recuperate on!  Wow...what a recovery.  The photo journal has been great.

Treat yourself well and make sure that you follow the doctors orders so that you heal quickly..like no vacuuming!!!

All the best,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2009, 08:45:36 pm »
Yea!!  ;D

Helene's home  ;D  ;D  ;D

And looking wonderful, too  ;D

Congrats, Helene!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2009, 03:57:42 am »
Helene,  Welcome home, you look fantastic!  I hope your healing continues this rapidly - and with the sun shining, you can enjoy the warm weather!  All my best to you!

Mats, Thank you for ALL the updates and photos!  We do appreciate them very much.

Take care and please keep in touch, both of you!  :D

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W