Author Topic: BAHA surgery - healing time?  (Read 12568 times)

kma

BAHA surgery - healing time?
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:58 am »
I've decided to go ahead and schedule my BAHA surgery.  I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in July and I will schedule the surgery while I'm there.

Can any of you give my your opinion ~ or your experience regarding how many days you were home after the surgery before going back to work? 

I'm totally nervous (as always) but I MADE THE DECISION....yay!!   :D

Thanks,

Kathy (kma)
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

Sefra22

Re: BAHA surgery - healing time?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:25 am »
Congratulations on your decision to have BAHA! 
I guess "technically" I am still in the healing phase since I won't be able to use the processor until July.
My surgery was just shy of a month ago, and I took 4 days off from work, (although I did work for a few hours on the 2nd day after for a few hours since my store was having inventory.) I felt fine right away, but I think because I had anesthesia, it took me a few days to get past the fatigue. The surgery did not keep me from doing anything I wanted to do except wash my hair. ;)
Lisa
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:04:24 am by Sefra22 »
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 10:58:32 am »
Hi, Kathy,

Hope you'll enjoy your BAHA! I had my BAHA surgery at the same time as my AN (translab) procedure, so was still under general anesthesia throughout the process. It was certainly a non-issue as I healed from my AN surgery, but I realize that doesn't address your particular question. I'm sure that other BAHA wearers who had their BAHA surgery some several months (or longer) after their AN procedure will chime in here, and I think you'll find that the consensus -- particularly among those who just had local anesthesia -- is that it's a very simple thing, similar to a dental procedure.

Best wishes!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:33:27 pm »
Kathy -

Congratulations on your decision.  I think you'll be very happy with your BAHA  ;D

I took off work the day after my surgery, but only because I was still sporting my very lovely BAHA "hat".  Figured it would draw some funny looks from my colleagues  ;)  I had local anesthesia, so no fatigue factor was involved and the pain was minimal.  I took Extra-strength Tylenol the day of and the day after the procedure; nothing after that.

Recovery - like the surgery - is generally a piece of cake.  You'll do fine.

Once you have a surgery date, please PM either me or Lori your mailing address.  We'd love to send you a complimentary BAHA Recovery Kit.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kma

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 01:06:51 pm »
Hey you guys~ Thank you for all your opinions.  I'm actually getting excited (??) and can't wait to get to it already.  Time has been wizzing by this year ~ but just watch ~ it will drag along slowly before getting to July.  I'll let everyone know once I get scheduled ~ I got some good news from my insurance carrier (Blue Cross) ~ I've spent so much money this year on surgery and tests that my BAHA will be 100% covered.  Yay!!  Free is great treat!!  I don't supposed they would consider liposuction or Botox part of BAHA implant surgery??   ::)  Can't blame a girl for trying!!  Happy day!  ~Kathy
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:30:13 pm »
Congratulations on your decision. You will do fine keep us informed.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 05:38:04 pm »
Kathy~
I checked your blog this morning & was wondering how you were doing!  Glad to hear everything is falling into place for your BAHA!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 09:01:46 pm »
What blog?  Didn't see it listed in your profile, Kathy.

Link, please  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:13:19 pm »
Jan~
That is how I found Kathy and was able to tell her about this website was thru the thing that I have set up that catches anything that mentions Acoustic Neuromas - Joef told me about it (that is how I got here!)  I will look up the address but since she has returned to work, she really hasn't had much time to update so it is basically her husband's reports thru the surgery...

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 04:28:20 am »
Jan~
I have set up that catches anything that mentions Acoustic Neuromas - Joef told me about it (that is how I got here!)  K ;D

Yep....its all my fault...  ;)  I did the same thing...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:30:07 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

kma

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:32:39 am »
Hi guys.  I'm calling today to schedule my BAHA appointment.  Eeeeeee.  Excited & Nervous (normal for me...ha). 

Kay~  I haven't even touched my blog in gosh, maybe a month.  I am back at work full time and I've been crazy busy
and everyone here at work is holding their breath for June 1st (I work at the General Motors Media Archive) to see how
things work out.  Fingers crossed!!  : )  Dale (husband) still tells everyone about you Kay and how great you are and how
we wouldn't have made it without you........it's true!! 

Jan~ I love reading all your posts and love how you always have a positive attitude and you always seem to know what to
say to help people along.  I am grateful for all your words of wisdom ~ not just the ones you send to me ~ but all of them!!

It's going to be 80 degrees outside today (Michigan) and that and the M&Ms I'm eating have put me in a GREAT MOOD!! 

Happy day to everyone.

xo Kathy (kma)  ;D