Author Topic: When does the temp facial go away  (Read 20529 times)

m4guzman

When does the temp facial go away
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:44:22 am »
Hi

I had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago.  The doctors said that my facial nerve looked good and I think that when I was in
recovery that I was moving my face with no problems.  4 hours later.  I could not move.  The doctors are saying it is temporary.  Has this happened to any one.  When and how does it come back.  I know I have to be patient but I just want to know.   And by the way I am starting to feel good.  I am walking about 1 mile a day.  Have not pain at all.  Just a little dizzy and my left eye has to to taped shut at night.  But I really am starting to feel good.

Thanks

Marybeth
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

jazzfunkanne

Re: When does the temp facial go away
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:56:57 am »
Hi Marybeth, everyones facial recovery is different, my facial nerve got a bit of bruising , i have been doing facial exercies daily , i am seeing good improvments i am 2 and half years down the line , my AN was on the  large side over 4.5cm.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:21:11 am »
Marybeth, delayed facial paralysis typically resolves much faster and with a much better outcome than the immediate paralysis. It's very common after surgery for hemifacial spasm, which is the condition I had. See Predicting Facial Nerve Recovery here: http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/CranialBaseCenter/b95.htm#Move

It's good sign that you could move your face in the recovery room. I knew right away that I had facial paralysis.

People with HFS typically recover from the delayed paralysis within six weeks or so, but of course everyone is different.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:55 am »
Marybeth -

glad you are starting to feel good. 

As jfanne said, facial nerves do regenerate.  Unfortunately no one can give you a definite time frame as to when yours will.

So, although it's hard, have patience and come to the forum often for support.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:23:57 am »
Hi, Marybeth!  I was a delayed facial paralysis person - woke up just fine, but within hours of surgery, had the "temporary" paralysis.  Mine was all but gone within 7-8 weeks.  I never did any facial exercises.  The worst part of it, for me, was the eye - eye drops every 20 minutes or so, etc.  I tried to tape my eye shut, but it bothered me so much, I ended up just not doing it.  The only lingering facial trouble I have now at 6 months post-op, is that I still bite my lip every once in awhile and when I'm tired, my speech gets a bit sloppy.  Just enough for my husband to have something to continue to tease me about :D

Be patient as much as you can!  It's great that you are out walking - keep it up!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:47:29 am »
Hi, Marybeth.
I'm 5 weeks and two days post-op.  My facial nerve responded well in the OR, and I'm told I looked pretty normal that evening.  But the next day in the ICU, you should have seen the doctors coming in one by one and saying, "Oh!" when they saw me.  It was pretty comical.  They told me that it would be six weeks to 2 years.  I have noticed some improvement in the last week.  I'll try to get another photo posted to compare with the one I posted on my SpaDay thread at 12 days.  That one was horrifying to me.  Then you can all laugh at my new hairdo!
Like you, I have had a very lucky outcome, no pain at all post-op, no balance issues.  I don't use eye drops or eye gel any more, only did that for about a week or two at most.  Like Cindy, I bite my lip when I try to eat a sandwich.
Hang in there.  I almost lost my patience with it last night, but the numbness of my ear beat out the face, SSD, and tinnitus for most annoying.  Competing symptoms . . .
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keri

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:47:16 pm »
I'm 3 1/2 months post op  - my facial paralysis was very bad at first, but my mouth movement has gotten better. Now, my smile looks almost normal (but I still take a lousy picture, did pre op too!); my eye is still a bit problematic. It closers more now, sort of. The thing is, it waters (I get a tear rolling down my cheek almost every I eat, and it's not usually from my cooking). Since it's watering, I haven't been using drops/ gel / ointment as much.  A million people have told me that facial nerve problems take time but do get better. I'm finding that true. My mouth on one side still feels like it's moving slowly, and when I'm tired my speech is a bit slurred. My eye requires more attention and help and care, but that's getting better too.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

TaraT

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:56:35 pm »
Hi Marybeth!  I had my surgery 7-1/2 weeks ago.  When I woke up in the ICU, I had some facial function and then nothing.  I still have nothing.  I cannot close my eye.  My doctor just keeps saying give it time and that it will come back.  He gave me exercises to do when I feel a twitch.  Still waiting for that twitch.

I am glad you are feeling better! 

Tara
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 05:37:30 am »
One of the maddening things about AN's (and there are many) is that they can't seem to find a good time schedule and stick to it. When I was looking into my little problem I found the "average" ranges of almost all aspects of AN's and their treatments to be so broad as to be almost meaningless. Being only slightly left brained than Spock, this inability to chart or graph information to help with decision making was frustrating... at some point I learned to just embrace the freeform and go with my gut.

I too was one of those that woke up from the surgery with pretty much full facial function and then saw it completely disappear over the next few hours. About a week after discharge I was given a course of Prednisone (spelling?) and started regaining function after about 8 to 9 weeks. The doctor and I did have a pretty long discussion about the side effects of the steriods..they were worried it would cause facial hair growth, but as you can see from my avatar that didn't happen with me...still have that babyfaced smoothness like when I was 8.

Just a bit of residual bugginess at this point. The recovery process also seems to have very few instances where data points behave like data points are suppose to (bad data point...go sit in your time out corner) and group into a useful pattern.

It's good to hear that you are feeling good and your recovery seems to be progressing...congratulations.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:40:24 am by Migoi »
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

m4guzman

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 09:32:48 am »
Thanks everyone for your reply.  I do not know what I would do without this forum.
Everyone is different, and so is every operation so I guess I just have to be patient.  I will
keep everyone posted.
 Keri, thats for the laughs.  It is important to have a good sence of humor during recovery. 

Thanks
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 03:23:31 pm »
The fact that you displayed movement post surgery usually means that your facial recovery prognosis is good.

Nerve regeneration can range from 3 months to 3 years. I strongly recommend that until movement returns that you avoid caffeine and alcohol as these interfere with the nervous system. Until the movement returns you may also want to avoid sleeping on the paralyzed side of the face.

Have faith and hang in there- recovery DOES happen.

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 03:29:03 pm »
I hadn't heard anything about alcohol, caffeine, and not sleeping on the AN side.  I'm doing all three!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

salamander

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 04:51:40 pm »
Oh Oh.  I've been sleeping on my AN side.  I also use a heating pad on that side for awhile in the evening.  No idea if anything helps because nothing has started moving for me yet at 6 months.  People say it is looking better, but I think the pictures I've taken all look alike.  Month 1, Month 2, etc.

My facial nerve was kind of finicky during surgery and then they lost it at the end.  The tumor was very sticky and stuck to the nerve.  My doctors said it was intact and would just need time (more than I would like) to heal.  I think healing just depends on how irritated the nerve gets during surgery.  Once again, we each get our own story out of this experience.  ANs are definitely NOT "one size fits all".

At first, I kind of convinced myself that nobody was leveling with me and that it was permanent.  However, I have felt very encouraged by hearing several people on this forum get it back at varying times up to 3 years.

Samanatha

2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 07:42:43 pm »
Heat on the AN tumor affected side of the face is fine. However place the heat on top of your face- not the other way around.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

LADavid

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 08:38:20 pm »
DHM -- That is the first I have heard of avoiding alcohol and caffine.  If this is the case, I have some screaming to do.  No one warned me of that.  If this is how I wound up with synkinesis.... >:(

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments