Author Topic: When does the temp facial go away  (Read 20532 times)

m4guzman

Re: When does the temp facial go away
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 09:04:30 am »
I just tried to get Blinkeze.  Why would the Drs recommand this?  They are sending it to my eye dr for a trail.
Thanks you!

I will let you know if it helps.

Marybeth
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

hannie

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 07:29:06 am »
I had my an sugery three months ago. the tumour was really stuck the facial nerve and the nerve took a real battering in the surgery (some tumour left behind though :( ). My paralysis worsened drastically about 1 week post op so my eye wouldn't close i couldn't smile, eat or talk properly. This lasted about two weeks and since then it's got better everyday, now it's not too noticeable and casues problems only when i'm tired really. I've drunk coffee and alcohol regulary since my op (half a bottle of wine on a sat night and 2-3 coffees a day)and it doesn't appear to have affected my progress at all. I have done facial exercises given to me by a speech therapist that have really helped - i whistled for the first time since my op last night :) I wouldn't worry too much about having a drink/caffeine. I wpuld imagine that the small doses most of us take aren't enough to significantly affect facial nerve recovery.

Keep positive!

Hannie x

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 04:15:58 pm »
I'm just back from my six week follow-up with my neurosurgeon.  I asked if caffeine, alcohol, or sleeping on the tumor side would slow facial nerve recovery.  He said he didn't think they would.  Rather, his experience is that being tired is the only cause for setback.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 06:12:04 am by NancyMc »
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keri

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 05:25:07 pm »
then, i say (holding up my glass of wine) CHEERS!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 06:32:49 pm »
I believe that many doctors themselves became addicted to caffeine during med school and the long night shifts during internship. They will defend caffeine until the end…

I tell you – you got to read the book Caffeine Blues... the argument is very compelling and scientifically well backed up. (He even address doctors attitude on the subject. Many are defensive as they too are addicted to caffeine.)

I personally know that my doctors are not only caffeine consumers but one is an expert on Pinot Noir wines. (They are after all – “humanâ€?  ;) )

I am trying to wean off caffeine... I won't even start on the fact I live in the midst of vineyard country... and the big long MAY weekend wine tasting festival have started today. Regardless- I am done with alcoholic bevies.

No I have read enough now to know that these DO affect the nervous system... My nervous system has been attacked enough - thanks...

I have nicked the wine ... but Peet's coffee is harder for me to do...

I think if you spoke with neuro-muscular facial retraining therapists- their opinions may differ from the neuro-surgeons.

There is still much for discussion ...and yes perhaps more research opportunity on this topic.

Daisy Head Mazy

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:47:04 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Keri

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 08:18:46 pm »
Hi DHM,
As soon a I wrote the 'cheers' thing (after i had hit 'send') I felt like it may have looked like i was taking the research you provided lightly. I appreciate what you posted. I guess I'm one of the addicted who doesn't want to give up coffee in the morning or occassional wine in the evening (to my credit, i gave up smoking, heavy drinking and a number of other things from my college days!)  I know too much of either isn't a good thing, and in some cases, some of either may not be a good thing either.  I just didn't want to offend you by saying the research you put out there for us to consider wasn't helpful or signigicant.
I'm kind of in the camp that cell phones may be a lot more harmful than we think (mine was plastered to my AN ear all the time before my hearing loss and subsequent AN removal). Many don't think that is an issue, and maybe it's not. I now talk less, use the speaker more and am a bit apprehensive when I've used my cell (or cordless) in my good ear too much.  Anyway, at some point i just quit worrying about it because all kinds of things can be bad for us and I just quit dwelling on it.
However, you were making a specific point with alcohol / caffeine isn't good with facial weakness issues. It is a good point to consider.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 06:33:47 am »
I agree.  I have a suspicion that if my facial weakness were significant, he may have been a little more concerned about methods for improvement.  I asked him if I am a II, and he said, "Yes, you are a II." with a smile on his face.  We need encouragement wherever we can find it.  I left the hospital at the level of III on the Brackman scale. 
My mother suggested I take overdoses of B-12 to keep the black flies and mosquitoes at bay (It doesn't work, so don't do it for that reason.), but when I looked at the bottle, it stated nervous system health as a reason for taking it, so I'm staying on it until the bottle she gave me runs out.
I'm not addicted to caffeine, just enjoy the consumption of a nice coffee with whipped milk in the morning.  The alcohol could be a problem, so I'm going to try to get it out of my life entirely, well, reduce its presence.  I'm trying to get better about sleeping on my non tumor side.
At a consultation with my rheumatologist last year, I mentioned that I had to go off methotrexate because my former rheumatologist said that I was consuming too much alcohol (more than 4 oz per week).  The new doctor said that "too much alcohol" to a doctor means more than the doctor drinks.  If he/she consumes two alcoholic beverages per day then that is not too much; if he/she doesn't drink any alcohol, then one drink a week is too much.  I had a good laugh.
Keri - Good for you to quit smoking!  Bravo!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kaybo

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 01:29:19 pm »
So I had a "ToeNail Party" Thursday night and provided (& drank a few) adult beverages...funny thing is that after a few drinks when I was lying in bed that night, I thought that I had some MAJOR feelings in my AN side.  After all these years...I actually think that the alcohol HELPED me have feelings!!  :o

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 04:33:05 pm »
Not to be deliberately contrarian but I think one can over-analyze alleged potential health threats to the point of suffocation.  Obviously, heavy consumption of alcohol, smoking and eating foods high in salt and/or sugar content is not something anyone would recommend.  Caffeine consumption is likely not beneficial to our overall health, either, and I say this as a person who drinks copious amounts of coffee, every day of my life (wilth no ill effect) but would dissuade others from doing the same.  While some things are patently risky, such as smoking, others are risky based on statistics and opinions of researchers and physicians, who we respect.   However, I think one must account for our human uniqueness  in the way our bodies deal with various substances.  Some folks walk by a candy bar and gain 2 pounds, others eat junk food all the time and don't seem to gain weight.  However, no sane person would recommend anyone make junk food a major part of their diet just because some people can eat it without any tangible, observable negative consequence to their health. My view is that while it's always good to have information on what may or may not be detrimental to our overall well-being, 'one size does not fit all' and we can stress over things that may later be 'proven' to be not as 'bad' for us as the researchers once proclaimed.  Caffeine consumption (via drinking coffee) has been alternately condemned and approved, depending on the time period and source of the 'study' involved.  This destroys the credibility of the likely very real studies on the subject and by now, most people probably don't pay much attention to warnings about the 'threat' of coffee consumption.  Look at the success of Starbucks and fancy coffee drinks that even McDonald's now sells.  There must be a market for all that coffee being brewed. 

I'm not putting down research or endorsing a hedonistic lifestyle, just noting that everything we ingest is not necessarily fraught with danger to our health and that one man's meat may sometimes be another man's poison - or not.  I also like Nancy Mc's doctor's observation that, in a doctor's opinion "too much" (of almost anything) is usually translated as more than the doctor uses.  That kind of subjectivity is rampant in many areas of 'health' information and has to be taken into account when we're being told what is supposedly 'bad' for us.  I believe that most Americans have been told, via over-hyped TV and magazine stories, about allegedly 'dangerous' foods, additives, etc that they now ignore most of the hype and go with what seems sensible to them.  They are probably right.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:53:28 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2009, 11:28:52 pm »
Scotty (AKA "Jim"),

I challenge you to go two whole weeks without coffee.  ;D I bet you cannot do it...  :)

DHM

BTW Scotty disclosed in another post that he drinks 10 cups/day of coffee. :o  Beam us up Scotty... beam us up...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:37:12 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

jb11258

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 11:06:10 am »
Hi, I had my surgery 4yrs ago. I woke up fine, but about 10 days after my face drooped and my eye would not close. My dr. put me on steroids and it soon went away  good luck