Author Topic: I have a surgery date!  (Read 9645 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
I have a surgery date!
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:19:04 am »
They called yesterday and told me I have a surgery date.  May 26th.  Yes, only 11 days away! EEK.  I'll be having the surgery at Vancouver General Hospital, with Dr. Akagami (neurosurgeon) and Dr. Westerberg (ENT surgeon).

The only *catch* is this:  There is a man on the waiting list for surgery, with an invasive brain tumor.  He needs surgery with my surgeon and another surgeon.  If the hospital can work it out, he will get my date instead of me (he is a higher priority).  Isn't that crazy that I have a date-but only *sort of*.??!!!!  Also, the way this hospital does things is that they don't 'assign' beds until the day before the surgery date.  So on Monday, May 25th, my surgeon's office will call the hospital and see if they have beds for the next day (ie: if enough people are being discharged that day).  If not-my surgery will be cancelled.

I can not focus on the negative though.  I MUST focus on the positive and feel with every ounce of my body that this date is MINE!

The next 11 days will be a blur.  I'm going to try to get my mom to fly out here (from across country) to help out with my kids and keep them going on their regular school/activity schedule.  She'll be the cook of the house too, since my hubby doesn't do anything harder than grilled cheese!!!

Thanks everyone for your helpful information so far.  I'm sure I'll have more questions on the other side!  Please keep your fingers crossed that that date remains mine!!!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

cindyj

Re: I have a surgery date!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:43:15 am »
Fingers are crossed that the date will stick, Adrienne!  Know you are ready to get this done!  Did you put it on the calendar so David can include you in his weekly notice?

Enjoy these 11 days!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

MissMolly

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:52:35 am »
Good Luck, Adrienne!  I'm awaiting a date myself as my neurosurgeon is on vacation and won't be back until Monday.  I envy you having a date, such as it is.  Will continue sending positive vibes your way.  Please keep us all posted.

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:57:33 am »
Adrienne .....

Here's hoping you will not be bumped from your surgery date!  The waiting beforehand is one of the worst times for apprehension.  It will be so good to have all of this behind you!

My prayers are that you go on schedule and do well!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:15:48 am »
The only *catch* is this:  There is a man on the waiting list for surgery, with an invasive brain tumor.

I guess if I were in his shoes I'd want the priority too, but since I'm not, I hope you get to keep your date!  I remember setting the date for my surgery.  It was a pretty scary thing to do! :)

I'm going to try to get my mom to fly out here (from across country) to help out with my kids and keep them going on their regular school/activity schedule.  She'll be the cook of the house too, since my hubby doesn't do anything harder than grilled cheese!!!

Hmmm.  That will be a bummer if you get bumped and your mom flies out.  Can she stay indefinitely?  I wonder if these doctors/hospitals think about how much it can impact someones life when they don't give you an absolutely firm date?

And what's wrong with grilled cheese sandwiches?  Yumm!   Just a bit of peanut butter over the top of the bread and you're good to go! :)

Good luck, we'll be praying for you!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 01:30:59 pm »
Adrienne ~

Congratulations on having a surgery date.  I hope it doesn't get changed because I've added it to our AN Treatment Calendar.  ;)  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d26/05/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B   Good luck!
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:30 pm »
Hi Adrienne,
I fully understand the situation you're facing. Only yesterday I got my date of surgery and I've been waiting since November, 2008. Since I have full hearing in my AN ear they have been wating for a monitor that could follow the hearing nerve during surgery and yesterday (14th) I was told that I was about to have surgery on the 20th May. There isn't much time for preparing myself, but maybe it's better to just dive into everything without worrying to much. I am going to work on Monday 18th and on Tuesday 19th I'm settling in at the hospital and get all the blood works done and on Wednesday 20th is the big day. A couple of week ago I wasn't sure if I would get my surgery before summer and before the vacations are setting in, but now I'm scheduled.

I really wish you good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine! It's a relief that your mum is coming to take care of the children, the hubby and the cooking. Could be a bit unpleasant eating grilled cheese every day  :D

Hugs from Sweden and Helene
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:58:55 am »
Hi, Adrienne.
My surgery was bumped six weeks!  I went ballistic!  There's a thread on it called Torture . . .  I had planned to be in Scotland for my son's 21st birthday (He attends uni there.) and had to cancel as I thought it would be impossible to fly (It wasn't.).  So, I'm really hoping you don't have to reschedule.  Pamper yourself and enjoy lots of physical activity up to the surgery.
It's so great when it becomes past tense.
Good luck!
Nancy

Molly - Is Barker your NS?  Is he on vacation AGAIN?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keri

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:55:23 am »
Hi Adrienne,
Just saw your post and I'm so glad you have a hopefully definite date that is SOON!

Nancy- I didn't know that about your surgery date and your son and cancelled plans. What a bummer! Are you going to go to Scotland anytime in the near future?

Adrienne, I do hope that nothing gets cancelled for you and you can be a postie soon and that the nerve pain you've had to deal with will be a thing of the past. And that you can be planning on doing another 10K in the next several months!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 12:02:45 pm »
Good luck, Adrienne!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:01:07 pm »
Thank you everyone!  I'm continuing to think only the most positive thoughts that it will not be cancelled.

Molly-I really hope you get some answers Monday!!!!  It just feels *different* to know when it's going to happen.

Ernie-It's a funny thing hoping that you don't get bumped by someone who is obviously suffering too.  Can't imagine how much worse this situation would be if these tumors were invasive.  But at times like this, we really need to think about ourselves and hope for the best for US.  Maybe that's not wrong if I hope he gets in the week AFTER me (?). LOL  My mom can come for about 3 weeks at a time.  If the surgery gets bumped, she'll stay for a visit and then have to come back when it gets rescheduled (reeeally hope that doesn't happen, so let's just not talk about that-shall we? LOL)

Jim-thank you for adding me to the calendar!  That must make it official, right? ;-)

Donna-If I get bumped, I have no idea when they will reschedule.(??)  Could be months....  I would love for you to send me those tips via PM.  I feel so bad but I haven't even called some close friends yet b/c everything is a blur and I'm trying to get organized.  Feels like it's coming on so quick now!  I'll PM you my address.....

Helene-GOOD LUCK on Wednesday!  I'm glad you got your date, and will finally put this behind you after so long!

Thanks everyone!
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 11:06:29 pm »
Adrienne -

will you have a scribe updating us on your surgery? 

You know how we worry.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 02:06:58 am »
Hi Adrienne,

I hope you get to keep your date, and best wishes for a good surgery when the day comes.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 08:19:56 pm »
I truly hope you get your date. I can understand the need to prioritize but that still would be tough to get bumped. Fingers crossed for you.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

moe

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 11:03:57 am »
May 26 will be the surgery date, May 26 will be the surgery date,...........
Positive thoughts your way, Adrienne. How utterly frustrating. The fact that you don't have any control over this AN coupled with the fact that you have no control over the surgery.... :o
Women need order and control!! You WILL have your surgery on 26 May. I'll say repeated prayers for that day.
My BDAY is 22 May so I'll remember to pray for you big time. They (the religion gurus) say you only have to pray your intention once, but I'm going to  repeat, repeat, repeat.
Hang in there.....Everything will work out OK.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty