Author Topic: Eye Stitched Up  (Read 12431 times)

Meagan

• Picture
Eye Stitched Up
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:48:30 am »
Does anyone out there have the thing were part of their eye is stitched up?  I am going on two years of it being that way as my cornea was severly damanaged and a eye weight was not enough.....just curious on how long some people had that. 

Thanks all and enjoy your day.

Meagan
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Eye Stitched Up
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:13:54 am »
Meagan -

I know that Deb (user name oHIo) had her eye stitched for a fair amount of time post op.  I don't recall all the spefics, but she's a nurse and had returned to work with it still stitched.

She doesn't get on the forum much anymore, but if you PM her she'd be more than happy to tell you her experience.

Hope this helps,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:15:29 am »
I have had many different things, but for me, the weight has been the best.  Have you tried a different weight?  I have had a little stitch on the end - years ago - I guess it is still there - i don't think I ever had it taken out.  However, after that, I had to have my eye TOTALLY sewn shut because it was so severely scratched.  The Dr. wanted to LEAVE it sewn shut indefinitely (& I will say it was easy to care for) but I wanted it open - talk about stares!  I was only 25 at the time!  Feel free to ask any others questions.  Good luck!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 02:55:52 pm »
Hi Meagan.

If you mean a lateral tarsorrhapy, yes, I had that too.  I've had mine for 2 years on May 1st.  I have seen photos of some that are very noticeable but mine isn't. My doctor just put a few stitches in the outside corner to bring the bottom lid up a bit.  It made my eyes look more even and helped to keep some of the moisture in there and not just running down my face.  He's clearly a very talented surgeon and I couldn't be happier with the job he did.

My doctor and I have spoken about having it "undone" at some point, but neither of us is in any rush to have it done.  He said it looks fine, it's protecting my cornea and it's okay to leave it for now.  I think it looks fine, my eye feels good and I'd rather not have anyone poking around in it if it's not necessary.

I've never had an eye weight and never needed one since the surgery, my cornea is in good shape without needing the weight.

Have you talked to your surgeon about having yours undone?  I'm sure he or she would be able to give you some good advice on that.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 03:01:16 pm »
Thank you all....I wish i had the weight but since they had to sew it a few times the weight would just fall out.....I meet with my eye surgeon in July and last year he promised he would take it out....but you know how that goes.

My eye is about half shut so not tremendously noticable but enough where people ask me....it has been over 2 years so i am getting antsy....to be gross it is starting to pull apart but since I don't have feeling i don't feel it.

Well thank you all....if anyone else has had the lateral tarsorrhapy let me know :)  Have a good day all.

Joe Meehan

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 08:37:24 pm »
Hi,

I'm having it done on June first. I have a mis-shaped cornea from months of irritation due to the dryness caused by an eye lid that won't close all the way. They took my eye weight out but my lower lid is the problem so I'm having a stitch or two put in to raise it. My doctor says it won't be noticeable and should help keep the eye moist and gradually my cornea will heal correcting my double and blurred vision. I'll let you know if I get any relief. Joe
Retromastoid Mass Gen 7/30/08 Drs. Barker & Gopen
2.5 x 3.4 12hrs completely removed. 100% facial palsy but facial nerve intact.
75% return of movement as of 8th month, removed eye ingot 3/09 good progress.
Deaf R side, tinnitus, balance problems, muscle spasms, muscle tension headaches daily.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 06:07:03 pm »
Hi Meagan:   How does the weight 'fall out' ?  Is it an external weight ? (I've had 3 weights put in till they got it right).   I've had 5 eye surgeries to help with both cornea protection & symmetry.  My last surgery for this problem was 11/08; I had a canthal sling done by an oculplastic surgeon.  I also still need to use Refresh PM ointment a few times a day + Refresh Celluvisc to protect my cornea. 

I think your paralysis is much less severe than mine (thank God) - so I'd look into an oculoplastic surgeon to take care of things.

All the best,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

moe

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 06:57:31 pm »
Hi Meagan,
I had my left eye about half way stitched shut after my surgery to protect the cornea. For 5 months. I hated it. Hated the stares, (plus the droopy left face) and the feeling of it being sewn shut drove me nuts.
I can't believe you have had it for 2 years. You poor thing. Who knows, maybe you are used to it, but Geesh!
I would imagine with modern technology the ocuplastic surgeon will  be able to do SOMETHING!
But it all depends on your cornea.
Mine is OK but not great. I have the weight and use lots of eye ointment daily.
I've been threatened that the eye will be sewn shut again, if my cornea starts acting up.
Scare tactic :o
Let us know what the doctor says.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:55:00 am »
I never had the weight but they said my eyelid is light cottage cheese...not sure what that means but they were talking about the weight they sew in....not outer....which is something to think about....i didn't have any vision as my cornea was scratched off so this is protecting my eye but not very pretty.....they had it all the way sown shut and now it is only part way....it isn't huge but i see it daily and it makes me sad.

I am seeing the eye doctor in July after a year of no visit and they said i could use the contact that lubricates and stitches will be gone....but i will believe it when i see it.

I will bring all this to my eye doctor in july as there has got to be something else than stichtes....and for some reason i can't spell that word :)

moe

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:33:57 am »
Meagan,
Wow, are you saying that your cornea is not working at all? You said the cornea was "scratched off." Was this from the surgery or after surgery?
Hopefully they can get the eye opened. Iif the cornea is no good, then what is the point of having your eye stitched shut?
Curious situation you are in.
Hoping for good news for you.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

epodjn

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 02:05:12 pm »
Lori
So glad to hear something positive about lateral tarsorrhapy. I am scheduled to have it done on the 25th of this month and I'm a bit nervous. How soon before I can return to work? Next day hopefully! Does it feel "weird" or do you get used to it. The surgeon told me I would hate it. He said everyone he's done it on dislikes it to one extent or another but that it is the best think for cprmial protection until they can decide if I will be a good candidate for a gold weight. Any imput?
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 04:09:59 pm »
What do they need in order to determine if you are a good candidate for a weight? I had one put in at about 10 weeks. I wish I could have had it done day one. My input is to see why they can't just go ahead with the weight and skip the other one.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 04:29:11 pm »
I feel the same way as Sara - if you need a lateral  tassorrophy,  you need an upper lid gold or platinum weight - what's the wait about ?
I'd go for another opinion - go to an oculoplastic surgeon.  I also wish I got it day 2 post op AN surgery.
I had the weight & my lower lid pulled tighter at the same time 1 month after my AN surgery.  No 'stitching my eye closed.',
& I have chronic parlysis, right side.
Hoping for a good outcome with this for you,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

epodjn

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 09:08:41 am »
This is an oculoplatic surgeon.  He said he wants to wait on the weight because he thinks I'm close to blinking on my own. In the last two months I've notice a slight difference in my blink. My eye kind of flutters when my good eye blinks. Before that there was no motion at all. He says if I can't blink on my own in the next 6 months or if my blink is incomplete then he will do the gold weight. In the meantime the tarsorrophy will help keep my cornia healthy. At least that's his take on things. It's so hard to know what is right.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 09:58:26 am »
My cornea was scratched as I was never told to lubricate after surgery....so two months after surgery i lost vision....I have a scar tissue on the eye so not 100% vision and may never be.  I went to a not great eye doctor that messed up my eye and wasn't able to stitch it properly...needless to say i have a new doctor.  I would have given anything to do the weight but missed that option. 

I was at work the next day so very easy surgery....especially after all we have been through :)