Author Topic: HRT  (Read 4647 times)

jazzfunkanne

HRT
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:35:34 am »
Hi all, can anyone tell me if they went on HRT after the removel of a AN, and did it cause regrowth, many thanks in advance Annex
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 08:47:59 am »
Sorry, no real info..just a funny about how my prodded and poked brain works... When I saw HRT, my brain immediately translated that as Hostage Rescue Team... It took a bit before I could shift into it meaning Hormone Replacement Therapy (right?).

I was thinking... this could be interesting... high speed, low drag guns at the ready stuff with folks that have balance issues....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Here's to hoping you find out there are no contradictions to getting the treatment you need...

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:46:24 am »
LOL thanks Tim, i hope someone has advice

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 03:25:55 pm »
I didn't take HRT drugs after my AN, but did take them for many years prior to my AN being diagnosed.

In addition, I took of mega-doses of other hormones while I was trying to get pregnant.  I often wonder how, or if, they had any affect on my AN.

HRT has gotten a really bad rap the last few years, but it's still a great solution for some.  It definitely was for me.  Does your doctor have any opinion on whether it will cause regrowth or not?

Jan

thanks for the laugh, Tim  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 03:56:28 pm »
Hi Jan, when i asked my consultant he said its a separate issue and discuss it with my doctor, so i will she what she has too say (too be honest doctors are not gen up on it over here in the uk), i dont know what too do.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 06:27:59 pm »
Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd do either if I were in your situation.

I went into menopause very early @ age 32, which was actually 2 years before I got pregnant with my twins (miracles of modern medicine), so I had been on HRT for a while before docs started saying it was bad for you.

My endocrinologist/infertility doctor felt that since I doing fine and didn't have a family background of risks, that I should just continue on the HRT.   Since my AN was an unknown at that point, it didn't factor into the decision. 

I know there are lots of natural remedies for the symptoms of menopause, and from what I hear they are quite good, maybe you should discuss those with your doctor.
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 06:39:03 pm »
I have been on HRT for many years (both before and since AN removal).  All of my doctors & surgeons are well aware I am on it (actually using patches so estrogen only because of having a hysterectomy).  None of them have ventured any connection between tumor growth and the use of HRT.

As with any other drug/medication, different people can react in different ways so doing our own research and checking with medical people would probably be wise.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »
Clarice has a great point; different people react in different ways.

I also just wanted to add that I'm not sure there's ever been any definitive links between hormones and AN growth.  I know it's a theory that's out there, but I'm not sure anyone has actually proven there is a connection.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 04:59:49 am »
hi Jan and Clarice, i was thinking there was a boy of 17 in the uk who found out he had a 5cm AN, that makes me think its prob not hormone related, the other reason i was thinking about hrt was because they now say i have osteoposis in my lower back, and it may help my bones

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 07:00:32 am »
Hi Anne:  I've been taking Boniva (once a month) for osteoporosis (diagnosed last year).
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

suboo73

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 04:18:27 am »
Hi Anne,  How are you today?

I will tell you my thoughts on this question, and i will let you know that i am not yet satisfied with all of the 'answers' are have received from the medical community.

To the best of my knowledge i am perimenopausal, no hot flashes, etc., etc.  But my periods are getting very heavy and don't seem to have a pattern of stopping. (Regular, so NOT getting closer and closer together like some women experience.) So my gyn wants me to do another hysterscopy/D & C and then take prednisone for a year to aide shedding of the lining or until my periods stop for at least 6 months. (She says the lining is 'thickening' again, after having an ultrasound.)  At 53, with a smaller AN, i do not really want to take any prednisone, and refused after the 1st hysterscopy in 07.  I have not discussed the option of taking bio-identical (natural) prednisone, but i suppose this would be possible.  As another person pointed out to me, my gyn is trying to advise me according to her expertise, and make sure i don't end up with something like uterine cancer, etc.

My ENT he did not think there is any scientific/firm evidence that ANs grow from taking hormones, although, as Jan points out, there seem to be some theories about this.

So, since i get 2nd opinions these days, i e-mailed Dr. Friedman at House Institute.  He called the next morning and asked some questions about my AN and when i had MRIs and when was the next MRI (see signature).  THen he told me that he thought it would be ok to take the prednisone, but to make sure i had the follow-up MRI in Dec. 09.
-----------------
Since all of this, i realized that i could just tough it out and see if my periods stop (my one sister's did) though it may be rough for awhile.
My other sister is more into considering taking hormones and trying to minimize/delay the onset of menopause (she reads Suzanne Sommers books and the like.)

Me - i still don't know what to do, but will have to decide if i have any more episodes where i literally have to leave work!

So- if you find out any other information, please let me know!  I have been pretty frustrated with the answers i have received so far, but i have to accept the fact that the docs don't know everything about ANs, how they grow, etc.  I am just trying to minimize the effects of any drugs i take.  And as Dr. Friedman pointed out, at least i will be having follow-up MRIs since i am in W & W and need to be diligent about that.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 06:00:02 am »
Hi Sue, my last period was after my AN removal over 2 years ago (strange) i have every symptom under the sun related with the menopause, half of them might be AN related, or having the AN makes them feel 10 times worse, i will make a apt for my gp next week and let you know how i get onx

suboo73

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »
So, since i get 2nd opinions these days, i e-mailed Dr. Friedman at House Institute.  He called the next morning and asked some questions about my AN and when i had MRIs and when was the next MRI (see signature).  THen he told me that he thought it would be ok to take the prednisone, but to make sure i had the follow-up MRI in Dec. 09. Sue
-------------------
Dear Anne,  OMGosh, i am so sorry!  I meant to say PROGESTERONE, not predinsone! 
I goofed!
Hope i didn't confuse anyone!
(I better have 2 cups of coffee next time, before i write early in the morning, LOL!)

Sue

suboo73
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Continued W & W

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 02:50:47 am »
sue i think you can only take PROGESTERONE only if you dont have a womb??????

suboo73

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 04:00:38 am »
Hi again, Anne!

According to my gyn, the progesterone is to help 'shed' the lining, so it doesn't build up and cause other problems, kinda like polyps or growths in the uterus, at least that is the way the gyn explained it to me.  I believe i was prescribed Provera (though i didn't take it in 07), so it is only progesterone, not estrogen. So i assume i am still producing estrogen (?). 

Let me know how things go for you.  I am most certainly curious to hear others experiences with hormones and HRT.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Continued W & W