Author Topic: My Beach Vacation  (Read 15919 times)

Lilan

Re: My Beach Vacation
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2009, 03:58:53 pm »
More news from Alicia's hub: Like clockwork, things start to look better the minute the First Three DaysTM aka F3D are ending!

Everything is going good.  We now have the pain and nausea under control.  Alicia is still sleeping a lot but walked to the restroom yesterday and was able to walk with help around the nurse’s station this morning.  She also sat up in a chair and fed herself this afternoon.  She is still very tired and sore but is doing great overall.

Everyone have a great Memorial Day weekend and keep Alicia in your prayers

Todd

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2009, 04:57:25 pm »
Thanks for the updates, it's always encouraging to hear about people coming out of surgery this well. You are in my prayers for your recovery, physically and mentally.
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Keri

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2009, 08:07:46 pm »
I'm glad she's feeling a bit better. We are praying for you! Take care... one of these days you'll look back and it will seem like the time flew by.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Lilan

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2009, 01:40:06 pm »
Another update from Todd. Alicia's tumor turned out to be enormous, evidently. She was saying they thought it was 4cm but it was actually, Todd says, the "size of a tangerine or small orange." Which, looking at my ruler here, sounds more like a minimum of 6cm to me!
 :o :o :o

Alicia is doing well and is finally starting to feel human again.  She is off most of her medication and is tying to control the pain with Tylenol.  She was released from the hospital on Tuesday and moved to a care center on the hospital campus.  While it is not home it is significantly more quiet and peaceful.  Alicia still sleeps a lot and is very bothered by dizziness and motion. We hope this will start to get better in the weeks to come. 

We met with the Dr. Friedman yesterday afternoon which was very interesting.  As we were talking, Alicia became pale and passed out right in the chair.  She was a little dehydrated but will be fine.  A  few minutes later we had a good laugh about who was more shocked, Dr. Friedman or me.  Alicia just thought it was funny to wake up having no idea what had happened with her head on the chair, me holding her butt  and Dr. Friedman with her legs over his shoulders.

After the excitement we sat done and had several of our questions answered so here are a few highlights: 

·         We get the stitches out on Friday morning 

·         We are good to come home on Sunday

·         Alicia’s facial nerve is very strong and he does not expect complications

·         The actual size of the tumor was about the same a tangerine or small orange

·         The dizziness will start to get better and it is not going to be a permanent issue

·         The earthquake was really not a big deal and just happened so we Nebraskans could as we were here for one

·         Dr Friedman wants Alicia in Beaver lake by early July

So all things considered Alicia and I feel very blessed and want to thank all of you who have kept us in your prayers and thoughts during this difficult time.  I would especially like to thank the wonderful doctors at House Clinic specifically Dr Friedman and Dr Swartz who not only saved Alicia’s quality of life but did so great passion and caring.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:42:48 pm by Lilan »
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Lilan

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2009, 02:01:16 pm »
I must say I am now praying for a much less interesting story than Alicia's.

No eArTHquAKe

No size of orange

cindyj

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2009, 03:02:52 pm »
Lilan, well, you know, it is LA!  It seems there's always something - for me, it was a bomb scare (at the hotel, not the hospital!) and fires...know others had interesting things going on out there for their surgeries as well.  Seems to be taken in stride out there, though!  We'll hope it's a dull week for you, however, when it's your turn...

So glad to hear that Alicia is progressing in her recovery.  That was one huge tumor!  And, I'm sure that the post-op episode was quite something for all concerned.  Let's hope it's the only one!  Give her our best and we look forward to hearing from her when she's up to it - tell her to take her time, though!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2009, 09:27:42 pm »
Oh My.....
Well, for me the first 6 or 7 days didn't count!  It was miserable.  Today - Wed. - I am feeling able to function and partcipate in life again - 1 hour at a time!  If you are interested in more info, I am happy to share.  PM me.  For everyone else that knows the drill...yadda, yadda, yadda...here I am today :)

I am hoping for reduced fluid behind my "flap" which is why I did not have stitches out yesterday.  Fainting spoiled the day yesterday somewhat, but I did get to lay in an exam room watching Dr. Friedman for 3 hours. 

I am so thankful for the great support and wonderful thoughts.  I am just hoping each day and night get better than the previous. 

To all the people getting ready for this journey - it's not fun, but you will make it.  Hang in there   ;)

02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Keri

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2009, 09:34:32 pm »
Hi Alicia,
So glad to see you on here. I'm so happy that the worst of it is behind you and you're improving.

Thank you, Lilan for your great updates.

Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

sgerrard

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2009, 12:36:06 am »
Hey Alicia,

Great to see you back at last.  :)

It will get better as the days and then the weeks go by, don't worry. As you said, it's not fun, but you will make it. It sounds to me like you have done very well, considering you had a very large AN, and even an earthquake. Just take it easy for a while.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Lilan

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2009, 05:39:58 am »
Alicia herself! Great to see you and thank you so much for including us in your updates!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2009, 07:04:02 am »
Welcome back postie Alicia  ;D

I almost missed this update - based on the subject line, I thought you were still on that beach vacation and I was tuning in to read about all the fun you were having.  Guess I have to pay more attention to the AN Calendar  ::)

Anyway, it sounds like you've been through a lot - but are coming out of it very well; thankfully.

Best wishes for a continued recovery.  Please keep us updated.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2009, 09:34:48 am »
Alicia,
So glad to hear the hardest part is behind you. I'm sure you have lots of other  "stories" about your surgery experience.
We would love to hear more :)
 I think the earthquake and the fainting in front of the doctor are 2 very  unusual  stories.
Let us know how your dizziness goes. That was one humongous tumor and here you are, facial nerve intact. Yea ;D
Baby steps. Rest, sleep, walk, eat, driink. Repeat cycle.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Keri

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2009, 07:35:15 pm »
Hi Alicia,
How are you doing?
Keri
My head feels weird!!

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2009, 09:38:47 am »
I am doing well, thanks.  I am 3 weeks post op today!  I can't believe it.  Recap... Week 1 - hospital.  Week 2 - Seton.  Week 3 - home.  The past few days seem the same.  No major improvements day to day, but I feel pretty good. 

::) I still have dizziness when I turn my head side to side, so no driving in the near future for me.

8) My eyes can focus much better - still sensative to sunlight.  I have a nystagmus - eyes jumping or staggering from side to side right after surgery and still currently.  I think my issues after surgery were really related to this, rather than my balance.

;) My AN side is weaker than my other, but no one really notices.  I can tell my bad eye does not get done blinking by the time my good eye is done and when I am tired, my bad eye is larger than my good eye.  But I can shut it when I blink slowly - so I am extremely grateful!

:o My balance is good.  I occassionally find myself unsteady, but I would say I am in control 95% of the time.  No major problems in the dark.  I actually rode my daughter's bike the other day for a very short distance!  I am so excited to say that!  I was very concerned about having to give up an active lifestyle of bike riding, snow skiing, water skiing, wakeboarding, horses...so the fact I could ride a bike in week 3 is thrilling!

:-\ I am having trouble sleeping all night.  I am restless at times.  I do not stay awake for long periods, but wake up often.  I do not take anything to help because I am just so happy to be off all the drugs - I really do not want to reintroduce something else.

:D I am not taking any pain medication - not even Tylenol or Advil  anymore!  I still feel weird in the head, full ear, tons of ringing, but no pain.  Still have tape on the belly incision - too afraid of pulling it off!

??? I do have a very sore vein in my hand where the IV blew.  It is bruised and raised, so I am watching that.  I was told as long as it is not red, I am good. 

Everyone that sees me is schocked that I "look" normal.  No one can tell I have endured this journey!  I, honestly, still can't believe it either! 

Remember my first post... "I took a nap and when I woke up, I was thinking this may be a bad dream."  Maybe it was   ;D

With all my gratitude...Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

moe

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2009, 10:31:06 am »
 :)Great update, Alicia. You sound wonderful and I'm sure that bike ride at 3 weeks post op was a real treat. ;D
Way to go girl! ;D
Keep walking for the balance, and I would imagine biking is good for balance exercise.
Give the other symptoms time to dissipate. Patience and perseverance while you work through those pesky side effects of brain surgery.
You are doing awesome!!!!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty