Author Topic: Indomethacin for headaches/migraines  (Read 30821 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Indomethacin for headaches/migraines
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:04:34 am »
Hi all,

I did a search here for threads/posts from AN'ers for their use of Indomethacin for headaches. (a non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory, typically for short term use for the treatment of headaches/migraines).

Headache doc prescribed 25 mg 2-3x/day for 30 days. Pain mgt doc is noting to me it may help other issues I am enduring as well.

Made known to me about the GI issues, as well as possible kidney and cardio side affects.

Many past threads/posts here noting it date back to 3+ years.... so, trying to find out if anyone more recent is/has use of this medication for headaches.

all inputs appreciated.

thanks.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseygirl

Re: Indomethacin for headaches/migraines
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:29:20 am »
Phyl,

I used Indomethacin for headaches about 10 years ago when I still had them after the first surgery. The trick was that I used suppositories, not tablets because all my headaches started early in the morning and were accompanied by nausea/vomiting. If I took a pill, it would come right out but suppository stayed and it was really convenient first thing in the morning. They worked but my PCP was always worried about the side effects. To my knowledge, the company discontinued the suppositories but a pharmacist can compound them for you; you just have to find the compounding pharmacy. I had them compounded before the second surgery bu the headaches never happened so I was happy to throw the suppositories away!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:37:35 am »
Hi Eve and thank you! :)  My dad is a pharmacist (many here in the past know him as PapaPearl) and I know he can do the compound (he's done many in the past for other medications)... great suggestion and quickly absorbed into the body.

question... did the meds actually work to help the headaches/migraines?  also major concerns here with the potential side affects as I am meds sensitive... she put me at 25mg, which is, to my understanding, low dose, but I am to ramp it to 3x/day.

Thanks!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:13:13 am »
Yes, Phyl, the med actually worked and a lot better than any other but the catch was that I had to use it in the earliest stage of a headache to stop it, otherwise, it would take a narcotic to stop the pain and that put me to sleep right away. Can't drive like that, can you? Also, a very good point about absorption:  it worked faster than any pill, therefore I used less medicine in total (less potential for serious side effects). Another big plus: it gave me a legal reason to stay extra 20 min in bed in the morning! Can't discount that! Good luck an let us know what works for you.

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:42 am »
Yes, Phyl, the med actually worked and a lot better than any other but the catch was that I had to use it in the earliest stage of a headache to stop it, otherwise, it would take a narcotic to stop the pain and that put me to sleep right away. Can't drive like that, can you? Also, a very good point about absorption:  it worked faster than any pill, therefore I used less medicine in total (less potential for serious side effects). Another big plus: it gave me a legal reason to stay extra 20 min in bed in the morning! Can't discount that! Good luck an let us know what works for you.

Eve

eve, based on your comment above (that I highlighted in red), you only "take as needed" vs. taking it regularly/daily?

any extra 20 min in bed works for me! :D

thanks again for sharing about this med... its definately helping me out!
Phyl

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:44:42 am »
Phyl,

That is correct, I only took it as need vs. regularly because of 1) potential serious side effects with long term use and 2) chance of getting used to the dose of medication and it no longer working.

Another thing that I learned was that the only way to control the headache was to "kill" it at its onset as soon as possible, otherwise it would last for days, weeks, months. The longest headache I had was for 7 months long without a break. Since the start of my headaches was always in the morning either upon waking up or before, I kept suppositories at my night table within easy reach. It worked and it was convenient. Good luck!

Eve

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:59:14 pm »
Hi All,

I took Indomethacin and it works very well for the stabbing type, back of the head pain.  There is a catagory of headaches called Indomethacin Responsive Headaches. The very first diagnosis I got from my headache neurologist was hemicrania continua which is responsive to Indomethacin (Indocin). I took it daily. If I took it morning and night it worked well. If I missed a dose, I would get a headache. It comes in 25mg, 50mg and an extended release of 75mg. She started me out on a heavy dose, then I backed down to 2x/day. I couldn't go below that or I would get a headache.  It is cheap! If I did get a headache, I would take Maxalt at the first sign and that helped too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14731379

http://www.medlink.com/medlinkcontent.asp

My headache neurologist was concerned that I was taking it so long term but my quality of life sucked without it!
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

mbf

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 08:55:20 am »
Hi,
I was just prescribed Indomethacin a few of weeks ago.  Saw a new Dr. and he instructed me to stop taking Motrin, which I was trying to wean myself off of, and take Indomethacin 3x a day at 25mg.  The first week transition was tough, but now I am very happy with how it works, much better then what I was taking and have found that most days I only take 2x a day.  I did wake up one night with a headache and took one, and was pleased to see how fast it took effect.  I know the Dr. wants to completely get me off of this med as he is slowly ramping me up on another, but for this right now, I have been pleased as I feel I am functioning in daily life much better.  He did also prescribe something to take to protect my stomach, which I have been taking.  Good luck!

Mary Beth
12mm x 7mm left side AN; Suboccipital Surgery 3/08; Mass General - Dr. Martuza and Dr. McKenna; Headache and Muscle Spasms

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 03:14:37 pm »
thank you SO much Janet and MaryBeth (and Eve!) for sharing this. This is the kind of info I need and it is truly appreciated. I've been side-lined with flu-like/brochitis this week (nope, not the H1N1 flu) and have been on antibiotics (also bringing on GI issues), so I haven't started the Indomethacin yet. She wants me on it for 3 wks straight/daily doses, yet, some of you note take as needed.  I'm not sure how to proceed on this.... but your info is VERY helpful. 

Phyl

Julia Perry

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 11:14:22 am »
I took Indomethacin for several years and was always pleased with the result. It is very important to determine the correct dosage