Author Topic: Dr. Recommendations in Wisconsin/Illinois  (Read 5715 times)

RES

Dr. Recommendations in Wisconsin/Illinois
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:54:04 pm »
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and was just diagnosed yesterday with a 1cm AN on the left side. I live in Northern WI  and would like any Dr. recommendations in the WI/IL/MN area. My first symptoms appeared about a year ago with dizziness and vertigo. The hearing test I had last week shows extreme hearing loss in the higher frequencies which my wife has been telling me for several years.  :)

Thanks!

Ron
Ron
AN 1.9CM Left Side
Middle Fossa Surgery @ University of Iowa 5/14/09
Drs. Gantz & Woodson (Great job!)
No major Post-op issues.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Dr. Recommendations in Wisconsin/Illinois
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:56:43 pm »
Hi Ron,

Your story sounds so very familiar to mine, except I'm not anywhere near Wisconsin :).  My wife had been compaining about having to repeat stuff twice for quite some time before I went to the ENT.

I can't offer you any help with doctor recommendation, but I do want to welcome you to our group, although I'm sorry you had to have a tumor to find your way here.

You have 3 choices at this point.  You can watch and wait to see if it even needs to be treated right now.  You can have radiation to treat the tumor, or you can have surgery to remove it.  All are good options, although I'm not big on watch and wait just because of the possibility of having more symptoms crop up as/if it grows.

If you choose surgery, make absolutely sure it is with a surgeon who does LOTS of AN surgeries.  That, more than anything else, can make the difference between a good outcome and a botched attempt.  Many here will recommend you send your MRI to House in LA for a free phone consult.  It's a great idea for sure.

Whatever you decide, we'll be here to help you get through it :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:04:42 pm »
Hi Ron and welcome.

Have I got an excellent doctor for you  ;D  Robert Battista, Ear Institute of Chicago (www.chicagoear.com)

He does both radiation (GK) and surgery and I personally highly recommend him.  He did my BAHA implant also.

The doc he practices with - Richard Wiet - is also outstanding.

Feel free to email me if you want more detailed info. or would like to hear more about Dr. Battista.

Best,

Jan
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:30:58 pm by sgerrard »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:26:58 am »
There have been some who are on the forum and one I know who is not who had surgery in Milwaukee.       Jeanlea is the one here.        I have had mine at Univ of  Iowa in Iowa with Dr Bruce Gantz.       There are others here who go there also.         
                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:13:30 pm »
Hi Ron,

Welcome to the forum.  I am from the Chicago area and had started a similar link a while back that may interest you.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5799.0

The question about physicians who specialize in Acoustic Neuroma in the Chicago area surface:
Three names come to mind.

Dr. Richard Wiet: www.chicagoear.com  Typically, he operates with Dr. Kazan out of HInsdale Hospital. Phone: 630-789-3110  He is listed in the 2008 Chicago Top Doctors Magazine on page 107.

Dr. J. Leonetti :  Typically, he operates with Dr. Anderson out of Loyola Hospital. Phone: (708) 216-9200 He is also  listed in the 2008 Chicago Top Doctors Magazine on page 107.

Dr. Bruce Gantz: He operates at the Univerisity of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. Phone: (319) 356-2173

Baha Hearing Device:
Dr. Moore out of Lutheran General in Park Ridge  can be added to this list.

If you can, it is worth consulting with each doctor.  I learned something new from each of them.

All the best,
Kate
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:49:37 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

gordy

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:46:43 pm »
hey ron im in wisconsin. the doctor that i choose to go with is p. ashley wackym. he works at fredort hospital in wauwatosa and at the medical college here. he does gamma knife as well as surgery. i choose him to have gamma knife done on me because he told me i had options. the first one that i saw said only surgery. it will be 2 years in july that i had it done for a 1.5 by 1.5 acustic noroma. if you have any questions let me know. jeannelea ....think i spelt her name wrong...sorrry.....used a a physision that wackym works with. ill let her fill you in on that. gtood luck to you.

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 06:31:32 pm »
Hi Ron,

I went to Froedtert Memorial in Milwaukee.  I had Dr. Friedland, who works with Dr. Wackym.  Both of them are very good.  I was very happy with Dr. Friedland.  He discussed both surgery and radiation with me.  He told me that my 3.5cm tumor was too large for radiatiion.  I was very happy with my care there. 

I'm a little further north than you.  I'm in the UP of Michigan.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

RES

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 08:40:20 pm »
All,

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and recommendations. I met with Dr. Bruce Gantz at the Universtiy of Iowa this week and have my surgery (Middle Fossa) scheduled for May 14th.

Take Care,

Ron

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and was just diagnosed yesterday with a 1cm AN on the left side. I live in Northern WI  and would like any Dr. recommendations in the WI/IL/MN area. My first symptoms appeared about a year ago with dizziness and vertigo. The hearing test I had last week shows extreme hearing loss in the higher frequencies which my wife has been telling me for several years.  :)

Thanks!

Ron
Ron
AN 1.9CM Left Side
Middle Fossa Surgery @ University of Iowa 5/14/09
Drs. Gantz & Woodson (Great job!)
No major Post-op issues.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:43:34 pm »
Great Choice!  Make sure you put your May 14th date on the calendar:-) 

All the best.

Kate
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:47:47 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/