Author Topic: Dr. Brackmann Vs. Dr. Friedman at House  (Read 3414 times)

nycnewbie

Dr. Brackmann Vs. Dr. Friedman at House
« on: May 27, 2009, 03:21:58 pm »
hey Everyone,
More questions yet again. But seriously is there a major difference between these 2: DERALD E. BRACKMANN, M.D.  or RICK A FRIEDMAN, M.D., PhD?
I guess I am a little concerned by Brackmann's age. But should this be the deciding factor?

Lilan

Re: Dr. Brackmann Vs. Dr. Friedman at House
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:09:59 pm »
Wow, we're hitting on all the hot-button topics in a single week, aren't we!  ;D

Not to make light of your question. I know some people are not comfortable with an over-70 doctor. And Dr. F is quite popular and beloved by his patients; I don't think you'd go wrong with him, based on what I've read.

Dr. B is much beloved too, though, and it inspires confidence in me that he is still taking on not just routine surgeries, but very challenging cases. 4cm just posted elsewhere that he does a demo of holding a laser light pointer up to the wall to show how steady he is, and there's certainly no quarrelling with his experience level.

I learned (by Googling, not from him) that he is personally responsible for some of the modifications in the m.f. approach that have made it even better and safer than it was prior to 10 years ago. He mentioned those modifications and their success to me without taking credit for them, which gave me some idea of the kind of man he is.

Personally, I have an obscure type of tumor and am having a middle fossa, and feel comfortable with him because of his level of experience. I trust that he, the current Dr. House and the institution would not have him taking on some of their most challenging surgeries were he not up to the task.

No one here, nor at House, would blame you for choosing Dr. Friedman though. Check Alicia's story of great success with Dr. F -- he removed a ginormous tumor from her during an earthquake and her facial nerve came out great -- hmm, I see his legend growing just as I type this!  :D :D

As a side note, I was referred to another surgeon here in Chicago who is around 70. I had an off-the-record convo with a top neurosurgeon about this doctor, and he said if his wife had an AN, he would trust her in this man's hands -- 70 or not. He had been in many surgeries with him and was quite passionate about his continued skill level.  Dr. Hietelzberger (?) (sp) also operated at House until well into his 70s with great results, from what I've read.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Dr. Brackmann Vs. Dr. Friedman at House
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:15:07 pm »
Hi there,

Ironically age was dicussed in another thread today.  Take a look at this thread. 4cm posted her testimonial and thoughts regarding age.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9688.msg110417#msg110417

All the best,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/