Author Topic: Finally made a decision  (Read 9583 times)

Donna R

Finally made a decision
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:34:15 am »
Well, I just got back from a consultation with a neurosurgeon who does surgery along with my otolaryngologist, I made the decision for surgery, so now I just wait until they call with a date..I am still so nervous, but I am sure I am making the right decision...having an AN of 3cm, I think this is the best thing to do....I guess I do feel better finallly making the decision.....

kenneth_k

Re: Finally made a decision
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:17:10 pm »
Hi Donna.

I'm truly happy for you :) Making a decision for active treatment is a major milestone in the AN journey. It is of course very normal to feel nervous about the decision, but now you just have to lean back and trust the skilled professionals. You can still get all the advice you need from people at this forum.

I wish you all the best,

Kenneth

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:10:16 pm »
Hi, Donna ~

Congratulations on making that big decision.  Choosing a treatment is always difficult and often comes with much anxiety but now that you've crossed that Rubicon, you've finished one of the hardest parts of your AN 'journey'.  Try to be at peace with your decision and know that (a) it has to be done, and, (b) you have many people you've never met thinking of you and praying for you.  I think you'll be O.K.  :)

Please let us know when you have a firm date for your surgery and post it on the 'AN Treatment Calendar' - http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments.

If you have any difficulty doing that, just send a moderator a PM and ask them to post it for you.  We're happy to do so.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »
Hi Donna,

You've just completed one of the toughest parts of your AN journey.  You have made the decision to get it treated.  Another tough part of the journey is waiting for surgery day to come :).  We will be praying for a successful surgery and quick recovery!  Let us know when you have a date!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:08:24 pm »
I think thats a great decision. With a AN of 3cm probably best thing to do and move on. With technology today eveyrthing will be fine. Its normal to be nervous but the hard part of making a decision is done. Prayers are with you, Mickey

Donna R

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:27:10 pm »
Thanks so much...I just had to stop agonizing about it and just schedule it...everyone at this forum has been so helpful!  I will let you know when the date is.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:08:12 pm »
Hi, Donna R  ;D

Based on the size of your AN, surgery is probably the best decision you could make.  Lots of docs wouldn't radiate an AN of 3 cm

I had surgery and I know how nervous you feel, but I want to stress to you that you'll get through this and you'll be fine.

Please don't hesitate to lean on us for support; that's what we're here for.

BTW, where are you having your surgery?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Donna R

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 06:13:58 am »
Hi Jan..thanks so much for your support! 
Jefferson University Hospital in Phila.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:01:16 am »
Donna -

I've heard only good things about Jefferson; you're in good hands.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Donna R

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 11:15:44 am »
Jan...that is really good to know..thanks! 
--Donna

Keri

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 08:51:15 pm »
Hi Donna,
There are so many on the forum who recently had surgery and are doing well. It's so helpful to read everyone's stories.
Keep us posted on your pre op info and how you're doing.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 06:19:41 am »
Donna,

I had a 2.5Cm tumor removed using retrosig surgery in January and now (3 months later) I am completely back to life as usual. I am glad to have that bugger out of my head and being SSD, though takes some getting used to, is really no big deal.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Mickey

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 07:50:42 am »
Hey Neal! What a great recovery. It seems like yesterday we all met for a lunch in NYC. (Jan.) Keep up the good work. Best Wishes Mickey

Dusty

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 08:47:42 am »
Congratulations on making this difficult decision.  Keep a positive attitude as you continue on your journey.  Will be praying for you. 
Diagnosed 6/2008 Right AN 8mmx11mmx12mm
Tinnitus, vertigo & pressure
MRI 1/2009 - AN 14mmx12mmx13mm
Surgery Schedule 3/16/2009 Drs. Antonelli and Lewis
Surgery Completed 3/16/2009 AN removed and accoustic nerve cut.
SSD

calimama

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 11:31:14 am »
Hi Donna,

I had surgery last June for a 3cm CPA tumor. Did have some issues (but felt it went well overall and was happy with decision), most of which have either resolved, or are resolving.

The decision was the toughest part...  try not too stress and do what you can to prepare.

Good luck!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.