Author Topic: Finally made a decision  (Read 9581 times)

Donna R

Re: Finally made a decision
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »
Thanks Trish! Glad things are going well with you!
--Donna

suboo73

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 04:44:22 pm »
Hi Donna, 

So glad you have made your treatment decision!
I also believe you are in good hands at Jefferson in Phila.
Keep us posted on the date.
We are with you all the way!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

LisaP

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 05:17:11 am »
Hi Donna,

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery, which kind are you having?   Keep us posted on any development.  I'm still watching and waiting for another year.

best wishes

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

moe

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:44:39 am »
Glad you made the decision to get the bugger out.
On to the next pre op phase.
We are here all the way for you!!
Keep posting,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 12:52:38 pm »
Hi Donna,

one of the key things we tout around here is never to 2nd guess a decision... to go with your gut... to have faith in your decision as you are doing what is best for you and your personal situation.  I have to agree about the decision-making process. Once you make your decision, a total monkey off your back (or is it an elephant? I never remember which! :D  )

You are in fab hands at Jefferson! Top notch facility!  Please keep us updated on how things are progressing... and as always, wellness wishes to you!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 06:38:23 pm »
one of the key things we tout around here is never to 2nd guess a decision... to go with your gut... to have faith in your decision as you are doing what is best for you and your personal situation. 

I am one of the "touters" that Phyl mentioned.  I'm not sure if "touter" is a word though  ???

Anyway, I found that "going with my gut" and not looking back - both in my choice of treatment options and my choice of doctors was a great thing.  I've never regretted my decision and would make the same one today if I had to do it all over again.

You're going to be fine, Donna. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Donna R

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 09:43:20 am »
Thank you so much everyone! I will keep you posted!  LisaP, the type of surgery is retrosigmoid, they go in behind the ear. 

Donna R

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 10:44:49 am »
They just gave me a date for surgery today...Monday, June 22nd...I am very nervous, but also kind of glad because I am starting to get a little off balance when I walk, and a headache usually when I get up in the morning, although Tylenol or Advil usually takes care of that...I figure it's time to get this taken care of...so, here goes.

Lilan

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 06:44:22 pm »
I agree with not looking back but I am having my moments of abject terror now that I'm within a month of surgery! I think, too, I react to whatever posts I'm reading that day -- if they are positive, I'm good, but when people report worse outcomes, I start asking myself why on earth I'm "voluntarily" having this crazy surgery!

Then I realize that just because it's not emergency surgery, it's not exactly voluntary. The problem is very real, I have a ton of symptoms and I agree with the thinking on here that when they are interfering with life, it's time to act.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:53:38 pm by Lilan »
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Donna R

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 07:51:12 pm »
Lilan

Yes, I feel exactly the same way,,not thrilled at all about surgery, but I don't like the way I am feeling now either, I figure while it's still not too bad, it's better than waiting until it gets worse... I think I am ready to have this treated...

--Donna

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 08:06:38 pm »
I agree with not looking back but I am having my moments of abject terror now that I'm within a month of surgery! I think, too, I react to whatever posts I'm reading that day -- if they are positive, I'm good, but when people report worse outcomes, I start asking myself why on earth I'm "voluntarily" having this crazy surgery!

Then I realize that just because it's not emergency surgery, it's not exactly voluntary. The problem is very real, I have a ton of symptoms and I agree with the thinking on here that when they are interfering with life, it's time to act.

Lilan,

I understand exactly! I remember thinking that I wouldn't read posts around my surgery. 

You are going to a world renown (House Ear)to have your surgery. Your tumor is small and the statistics are fantastic for a tumor your size.

Donna,

I went through a time where I thought I might wait and watch.  Then one day I decided that the tumor was right at the small/medium range and that the statistics were in my favor.  Not everyone has the ability to be a candidate for every form of treatment because of circumstances surrounding their tumor.  Because of the size and location, I could have chosen any of the radiation protocals or surgery.  I prefered to get it out of my head.

I looked for the patterns in the data and the outcomes related to the various doctors. We all get to our decisions in our own unique way based on the tumor's size, location, and our lifestyle.

I wish you the best.

Kate

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:16:17 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/