Author Topic: Good Morning!  (Read 775158 times)

Don

Re: Good Morning!
« Reply #2295 on: March 01, 2008, 04:50:54 pm »
Yeah back in those days in So Cal stars were no big deal old Hoss(Dan Blocker) of Bonanza had family up the street from us and we used to see him as kids also my friend and his cousins used to beat up Opie (Ron Howard) in Burbank. Remember Cal Worthington and Cals corral at Worthington Dodge, live country music Buck Owens etc. Wrestling at the El Monte Legion with  d*** Worth ringside the Los Angeles T- Birds roller derby? KFWB or KRLA only.

matti

« Reply #2296 on: March 01, 2008, 10:20:20 pm »
Sue  - Happy Birthday!!!   How did the doc appointment go? 

Don - you are making me feel old ;)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Don

« Reply #2297 on: March 02, 2008, 03:08:00 am »
 LOL Richard Worth! This is a challenge to me as I will have to be creative? guess today the kiddies couldnt watch d*** Sinclairs polka parade on Sunday they might get the wrong idea?

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2298 on: March 02, 2008, 04:57:03 pm »
Happy Birthday dear Suuuuuue

Whats this social security business. How did you manage to get that coz you are only in your early 40's!

Having had the priveledge of meeting, greeting and talking to you, I am all the wealthier for that one day in September.

Have many more health free birthdays young Sue.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2299 on: March 02, 2008, 06:09:54 pm »
Hey Guys,

Don, I lived in Santa Paula and then Ventura, so didn't venture into LA area much. My mother, not being a native Californian, was not comfortable driving there, even back then when it was busy, but probably not like anything today.  But you never knew who would be around the next corner.  Saw long time character actor Claude Akins (found this: http://members.tripod.com/~compmast/akins/akins.html) who made a career of playing big burly cops, big burly bad guys, big burly truck drivers, big burly longshoremen, anything big and burly, at a golf course in the Ventura area.  I had just seen him the previous Friday night on (okay people, VINTAGE ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT COMING RIGHT UP!) 77 Sunset Strip, starring Efrem Zimbalist Jr.; father of Stefanie, cutie Roger Smith, husband of AnnMargaret; and also Edd Byrnes, who played the ultra cool hipster, Kooky and had the short-lived hit, "Kooky, Kooky, Lend Me Your Comb".   Mr. Akins, of course, had played a big burly policeman on that show.  I ran right up and got his autograph.  And as I remember it, he was, indeed, big and burly!   And once, while visiting a friend in Santa Barbara, I glimpsed Fess Parker heading into a building.  Fess Parker was well known for playing Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone and he is a successful businessman in that area. (I guess he's still alive...??) Didn't pursue the autograph, darn it. I think I was in a car with my friend's family, and couldn't gracefully escape to chase my target at the time.

Then, once on a trip to LA, we went into a large department store, one with many floors.  One entire floor was devoted to hats. At that time it was called The Millinery Department.  I spied a familiar face and asked for his autograph too.  Now, boys and girls, this is REALLY going back - to 1956-1959.  The Gale Storm Show.  James Fairfax as the steward Cedric. He was sitting there with his wife, and she was trying on hats.  He was a little old man with a twinkle in his eye. Very cute.

Then I literally chased down Richard Boone when I was in Hawaii.  He was living there and was at a concert.  I was after him like white on rice.  I mean, this was PALADIN, for cryin' out loud. Not at the time that I got his autograph, but still.   This is one of the western theme songs I knew by heart.  He was AWESOME.  Had to run him to ground.   If I had been civilized about this whole autograph thing I should have just written to the studio and gotten an autographed photo.  Didn't do that for some reason.  Just chased 'em when I found 'em, I guess.  ;D

Matti, the dr appointment went fine.  No changes and the doctor said he was very pleased with how everything looked.  Said he'd see me in 18 mos.  I did post something over in the Radiation "community".

The big birthday dinner was very nice. (And expensive, but we already knew that didn't we?")

We had excellent service and the food was very good. I had, and I quote "SECO A LA NORTEÑA an old family recipe; lamb shank slow-cooked in the traditional Northern Peruvian style with cilantro, black beer, ají Amarillo, onions and garlic; served with a bean stew and salsa criolla", thank you very much.  Also for cocktails, I had " RON-YKI-ON roasted ginger infused silver rum shaken with grapefruit juice, lime juice, and cane sugar, served up with a cardamon sugar rim" and it was very good!  The Pearl District is reclaimed warehouse spaces,  and it's full of great restaurants, trendy nightspots, elegant art galleries, expensive lofts... that sort of place.  So these buildings have a lot of high ceilings, wood floors, open spaces that echo and don't absorb the noise of the people who are having a swell time with their Fine Dining experience.  So the freakin' place is really, really LOUD!  And there was some lady behind us who laughed, and laughed  and laughed, and was having quite a nice time, but she laughed the whole darn time we were there.  Loud laughing.  That reverberated inside my head and bounced from nerve to nerve like a ping pong ball on steroids.  I wanted to strangle her.  But she was having so much fun that I thought maybe I should restrain myself.  The restaurant brought me a birthday "treat" for dessert.  They have a lovely oblong dish with Feliz Cumpleanos written across the bottom of the plate in chocolate, and then a beautiful dessert with raspberry or some kind of berry sauce and some berries artfully arranged.  The dessert was light and airy and I'm not sure what it was, sort of a custardy cheescaky molded thingie with the sauce, again artfully, drizzled around.  They brought forks for all of us to share in the treat.  It was very beautiful, as they are in these Fine Dining Establishments.  Also, they have a casual atmosphere and the kitchen is open and not far away and the noise of the kitchen adds to the ambient noise level.  I will say, that it's been a long time since I've had the pleasure of having such attentive servers in a busy place like Andina.  We had more than one person bringing us the drinks, the tapas that we tried (Yucca Rellenos, which was really good, I thought, and not at all what I expected, and quinoa coated shrimp) and the main course, and not letting us want for anything - except some peace and quiet! HA  If we ever go there again, I shall ask if there is a quieter area of the restaurant, and I'll know to ask for a booth.  I don't lead that sheltered of a life, we do go out and about on occasion, but not often to these kinds of places.  These, in our book and wallet, are reserved for SPECIAL OCCASIONS only.  Maybe eventually, before I die, I'll learn how to ask for and get the most out of our Fine Dining moments.

Sorry this is long and chatty. I guess I was in a "creative writing" mood.  Thanks for letting me indulge.  Thanks again for all the best wishes.  I really appreciate it.  :) :) :)

Sue in Vancouver

Ah, Gee, Laz!   (psst, the check's in the mail! ;))

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #2300 on: March 02, 2008, 07:21:25 pm »
Sue in Vancouver,

I am hungry after reading your post :) It sounded like a scrumptious meal and a birthday celebration in style.

Kate
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 09:38:36 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2301 on: March 02, 2008, 08:02:14 pm »
... what Kate B said! :P

What a weekend for you, Sue... a terrific birthday, for sure... continued wellness to you, our dear Poet-Lorryette! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Don

« Reply #2302 on: March 02, 2008, 09:01:58 pm »
Yeah Sue Paladin was one of my favorite shows, and I thought he was a good actor still to this day. I miss those shows Later in life I used to watch the Rifleman I do believe I had seen every one you talk about a strange experience the other day I got to thinking about how PC the world now is and whatever happened to my favorite cartoon in Kindergarten-BOSCO well lo and behold you can get a Bosco DVD on Amazon and it was so strange seeing Bosco and Daisy again after almost 50 years? I still knew the songs and the animation is so good I sent it to my grandson to enjoy as the new computer generated things like shrek dont do anything for me? I had forgotten about Kooky? Remember Maynard G. Krebs, Dobie Gillis my sister was on Loyd Thaxton twice?

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2303 on: March 03, 2008, 01:41:40 am »
Oh yeah....loved Dobie Gillis.  The Internet has a bunch of websites devoted to 50's and 60's TV and such.  Stumbled upon a Sky King website once.  My aunt was talking about the old radio shows.  I do remember, when but a small tyke, sitting on my Dad's lap to listen to Sgt. Preston of the Yukon.  I remember the whistling wind and the barking and panting of his faithful sled dog, King. Hup, King!!  They always had to track some dangerous desperado across the frozen wilderness to Yellowknife, or Dawson.  I also remember, sort of, Inner Sanctum and Boston Blackie.  There must have been others my folks listened to, but I don't really remember them.  I'm not THAT old! HA  I'm surprised at the old TV shows I remember watching.  My Little Margie, December Bride with Spring Byington, I Married Joan with Joan Davis, The Life of Riley with William Bendix, Ozzie and Harriet (but that played for years), Private Secretary with Ann Southern (Oh, Mr. Sands!), Dragnet, I Led Three Lives (which I didn't understand - but it was about spies I think), Science Fiction Theater, Sky King, Superman with George Reeves and really awful acting, Our Miss Brooks with Eve Arden, Richard Crenna and wonderful character actor Gale Gordon.   Poor Ann Southern was a little on the hefty side, but such a pretty lady, and they put her in some of the most Gawd Awful dresses, with big collars and big bows and big skirts.  I think I watched mostly because I was fascinated with her wardrobe! And so many more.  I obviously have watched waaaaaaay too much TV in my lifetime.  Do ya suppose that can cause an AN?  If so, it's a wonder I didn't grow one when I was 12.  It's called a "soft addiction" and I would suppose I've had it most of my life  I guess it's better than drugs, booze, and gambling. I've always enjoyed being entertained.  :)

Well, enough of that!  Have a great week everyone. 

Love ya,

Sue in Vancouver

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Don

« Reply #2304 on: March 03, 2008, 03:43:43 am »
 You forgot Topper? My life was a little different as my best friend lived right next to the school in the 6th grade so we would go to his house for lunch and have a few belts from his Dads bar with our PB&J since they both worked? A nice nap in the afternoon class was nice and the silly teacher would tell us to go to bed earlier? Wonder what our BAC was ?, this was in 1963 teachers back then were not on the lookout for junior drunks? Oh what a time it was So Cal in those days. cheap booze probably causes all sorts of tumors also not just sitting too close to your CRT TV with all those mystery tubes inside, remember foot x-rays at shoe stores? LOL what a concept many years later I became an industrial radiographer and even went so far as to go to Radiation safety officer school in the Navy and often wonder how many REMs Buster Brown dished out?

Don

« Reply #2305 on: March 03, 2008, 04:05:01 am »
 One other thought crossed my mind before going to bed here back in 1969 or so I had my first motorcycle and would often put more than a 1,000 miles amonth on it and my sainted mother was driving home from work one night and saw me headed her way in the opposite lane standing up sliding along the metal plates I had screwed to the bottom of my boots leaving two huge rooster tails of sparks at around 50 mph she hasnt been the same since!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2306 on: March 03, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »
Yes, I remember Topper!  Well, back then there were mostly 1/2 hour shows.  An hour show was a pretty big deal.  So there were lots of shows. And I had my feet x-rayed at a shoe store too.  Only once or twice maybe because they didn't have those in the small town that I lived,  but they had one in downtown Portland.  What a hoot.

Sue

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Don

« Reply #2307 on: March 03, 2008, 02:40:42 pm »
 Kids today will never know? Remember phone booths? and when all telephones were black and lasted forever? I just spent a half hour screwing around adding minutes to my trakfone I really dislike cell phones but now that Im bust up there is no such things as phone booths anymore for me to call a cab and for those who havent tried riding the Handi Van leaves a lot to be desired, as I am not mental just disabled and dont need all sorts of fun on the bus with these guys? Daaar My brother is the President Daaar!, We go doctor you too?

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2308 on: March 03, 2008, 04:15:13 pm »
I was in the nineth grade before we got a telephone.  Talk about ruining my social life.  We lived so far out in the country that we had to pay for the poles to be put in and pay for the lines.  That was for a party line and you had to pick up the phone and wait for the operator to say, "Number, please."  If there was someone else talking you had to wait your turn.  We had a one long ring and the other "party" had two short rings.
The funny thing was about ten years later my Mom looked out her window and saw a telephone lineman messing with her poles.  She went out and asked him what he was doing.  He said connecting you neighbor so they can have a phone.  She said those are my poles and no you aren't.  He started to argue with her, she turned around and went outside with a shotgun pointed at him .  She then asked him what part of get away from my poles and off my property now.  He couldn't get into his truck fast enough.  In the end the phone company had to pay my Mom back for the poles and the lines, plus interest.  The neighbor didn't get a phone for about three months.
In the biggest town nearest to us we had a place called Carrolls that had the first 15 cent hamburgers!  Way before McDonalds.
Sue, seriously though, can you believe all of the things we have seen come into being since we were born.  Probably more than any other generation.  Some of it I wish would go away...................
I love to reminice about the "good old days".  How about Howdy Doody and Clarabelle?  Captain Kangaroo?
Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday...
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2309 on: March 03, 2008, 05:50:55 pm »
The funny thing was about ten years later my Mom looked out her window and saw a telephone lineman messing with her poles.  She went out and asked him what he was doing.  He said connecting you neighbor so they can have a phone.  She said those are my poles and no you aren't.  He started to argue with her, she turned around and went outside with a shotgun pointed at him .  She then asked him what part of get away from my poles and off my property now.  He couldn't get into his truck fast enough.  In the end the phone company had to pay my Mom back for the poles and the lines, plus interest.  The neighbor didn't get a phone for about three months.
Hugs,
Brenda

Thats the best story I've heard in a long time.. I really did Laugh Out Loud  -- Never argue with a shotgun pointed out you ---
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital