Author Topic: Pros and Cons of each treatment available  (Read 7920 times)

ihaveadog

Pros and Cons of each treatment available
« on: November 06, 2019, 11:30:24 am »
Hello,

I am a new member here and was recently diagnosed with a 3.2 cm AN. I will be seeing my neurosurgeon in less than a week and I would like to walk in their office knowing all the pros and cons of every treatment available.

So far, I know there is gamma knife and original surgery treatments. Am I missing any? Will you all please share your knowledge and tell me what the pros and cons of each are? I can put it into a list after and hopefully it can be put somewhere on the board for other new users to easily see it as well.

Thank you so much AN community.

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Pros and Cons of each treatment available
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:33:12 am »
Hopefully, this will be a good place for you to start. Wishing you the best!! 
https://www.anausa.org/learn-about-acoustic-neuroma/treatment-options/overview

Greece Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 01:49:42 pm »
Yes, this page pretty much says it all.  The one you didn't mention is no treatment, Watch and Wait, but with a tumor your size my guess is that a doctor wouldn't recommend it, although obviously I'm not sure.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

ihaveadog

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 11:25:01 am »
Thank you both so much for the responses! I

ANSydney

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 03:47:48 pm »
Does the 3.2 cm tumor include the portion in the inner ear (The cone of the ice-cream cone)?

My personal summary is:
1) Open surgery - effects felt immediately and some improvement may occur with time. Hearing is unlikely to be preserved.
2) Radiosurgery - almost no effect at first but a gradual desegregation over time. Hearing is unlikely to remain after 10 years.
3) Observation - no effect at first, but gradual decline in hearing. If it's stable in size, and over half don't grow after diagnosis, then that good. Hearing is still likely to decline, but slower than any other option.

There are many studies that support these statements and in the past I would quote them. Take a look at past forum entries and do a search. If you like I can research.