Author Topic: Good Morning!  (Read 775231 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Good Morning!
« Reply #2265 on: February 28, 2008, 09:56:37 am »
I am contemplating having the date of my surgery tattoed on my left ankle (AN was on the left side).  Something small and tasteful that won't be that noticeable to others, but I'll know its there and what it means.

It was a day that changed my life forever and it also marked a huge event in my life.  I feel a personal need to somehow commemorate it. 

I don't currently have any tattoes (in general I'm not a tattoo kind of person) so this would be a big step for me.  I'm not sure I'll actually do it; but then again I just might.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #2266 on: February 28, 2008, 10:41:54 am »
Go ahead, Jan!  Be a wild woman!!  Maybe you could be on that Miami Ink show..where they do the tattoos..  ;D

And speaking of anniversaries - I just passed my one year last Wednesday, the 20th and went yesterday for my dr. appt - my MRI looks "perfect" and I don't have to have another one until I get to the 5 year mark!!  Yahooo!  We celebrated by going to lunch at a brew pub downtown where they have really good brown ale and the biggest slices of carrot cake I've ever seen!  Cake and beer - doesn't get much better than that!  Well, maybe some chocolate would have been good, too....

So, here's a toast, with your drink of choice, to all the milestones we've reached!!  And many more to come!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2267 on: February 28, 2008, 11:01:51 am »
Jan, I'm working on a tattoo (actually Lorenzo is designing it for me!) of the letters AN with a red circle and slash through it, 3.1 cm wide, and it's going behind my right ear.  NO AN!  So I say go for the tattoo!!!!  I have one already, took me 35 years to figure out what I wanted, and I've never regretted it.  I think they're great for symbolic things.  I know a lot of cancer patients that have gotten one after treatment to commemorate it. 

I thought surgery day was worse than diagnosis day, that was a bad day and I did not feel good.  So last year, on my first anniversary, I spent the day in a spa having a feel good day.  That day is just for me to spend some time with myself and work out issues relating to this journey, so I think Sue's 2 year, her birthday and my two year is a great time to celebrate the good parts of this journey, and the dear, dear, friends I've made because of it whom I love dearly.  Celebrate that we aren't going through this alone.

Anyone know how many points in a whole bottle of sparkly??  I'm saving my weekly 35!!! :)

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

LADavid

« Reply #2268 on: February 28, 2008, 11:14:09 am »
Did some one say fresh rum????  I am quite sure I could be lured. And a voyage to Grand Cayman to boot.  Count me in.  Somewhere around here I have a photo of me in doctor garb.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2269 on: February 28, 2008, 12:09:20 pm »
Did some one say fresh rum????  I am quite sure I could be lured. And a voyage to Grand Cayman to boot.  Count me in.  Somewhere around here I have a photo of me in doctor garb.

all I have to say is... there better be a bottle of Tortuga Rum and a chocolate Tortuga rum cake in it for me, somewhere!  Gawd, I miss StingRay city!  Nothing like a Caymen "hickey"

Signed,
cursed cruise director... whats-her-name
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2270 on: February 28, 2008, 02:10:14 pm »
Lori -

thanks for the vote of confidence; maybe it's time I was a wild woman - I'm not getting any younger LOL
I was thinking maybe I'd get the tattoo during my recovery period from the BAHA surgery; will have to ask the doc what he thinks.
I'm also wavering a little because I donate blood every 8 weeks and a tattoo would mean I couldn't donate for a year.

Gennysmom -

I thought about putting the tattoo behind my left ear, but my kids would be mortified.  At their age, I'm always embarrasing them  ;D
I think one on my ankle would be about all they could handle.
So tell me, just how painful is getting tattooed?  I've heard various opinions and some say that I shouldn't do my ankle, I should do a body part with more fat on it.

Jan
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:14:49 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OMG16

« Reply #2271 on: February 28, 2008, 02:20:18 pm »
My son said it hurt a bit but was not to bad.  His was on his upper arm.  It makes me hurt just thinking about it.  I could not stand to have anything done to my ankle.  My sister had a rose done right about her ankle and she said it was not bad.  She is a wienie when it comes to things so it could not have been to bad or she would have cried and cried.   :D 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2272 on: February 28, 2008, 02:36:44 pm »
Jan, my tat is on my shoulder, on the bony part.  I've heard it's the stuff on bones that hurts.  This is a really weird thing to say, but I felt the pressure, but not really painful....like someone carving on me with an exacto knife.  You'd think that would hurt, but think if you've ever accidently cut yourself with a really sharp knife...it didn't hurt at first, right?  You just kind of have to get your mind off what you're doing.  Bring a friend to talk to you during it, then you won't even think about it.  That's what I did.  Did it on vacation in San Francisco at Lyle Tuttle's place. 

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2273 on: February 28, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »
  Gawd, I miss StingRay city!  Nothing like a Caymen "hickey"

Signed,
cursed cruise director... whats-her-name
[/quote]

That's one of my next trips...really want my daughters to get a stingray hicky,  Stingray city is so cool.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Don

« Reply #2274 on: February 28, 2008, 05:11:47 pm »
 I cant believe what they charge for tattoos these days? I have 7 and dont think I ever paid over $10 for one? Hong Kong was the best as the Chinamen would try to get you drunk while waiting in hopes you would opt for a $20 tattoo I would drink 5 or 6 bottles of beer and get a 2 dollar tattoo my tattoo in the Philippines was done with an Xacto knife and to date it is still the brightest the others done with the guns have faded, to me it doesnt hurt just kind of annoying like getting scratched by rosebushes. Have a zipper tattooed on the scar! my scar looks like somebody hit me with a pitching wedge behind my left ear there is a divot it needs some bondo.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2275 on: February 28, 2008, 05:20:28 pm »
Don, that's fabulous!  My dad has a nice tattoo that he picked up in the Air Force in Guam in the late 50's, and the colors in it are fabulous!  Not sure how much it cost, I never asked him!  Love the zipper idea! 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2276 on: February 28, 2008, 05:22:05 pm »

That's one of my next trips...really want my daughters to get a stingray hicky,  Stingray city is so cool.

patti ut

remind me to teach you how to quote on this site! ;)

I'm there... sign me up.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2277 on: February 28, 2008, 06:38:09 pm »
geesh, leave the site for a day and whammo - pages and pages to read. good to see this thread is fast approaching the 100,000 views - now that would be something to celebrate.

hey, whats with all the tatts? looks like this 'ere crew bye part Martian with all that green on em!!!!

Anyway, for those enthusiasts, on start date 200708.15 mathew was dipped in chocolate about 3,752 times  then everyone else got a turn after kathleen was through with him (lol)

Oh, as far as the grog goes, down under we have a magical invention that i will try and find a picture of but it entails a headband with two cans of VB (best beer in the world) attached to the ends with a tube from the can, into the mouth. Thats called, beer on tap!

Kinda missin' the story telling  >:(  maybe I'll get a new lease of life after the weekend.- yep, it's Friday today - woo hooie As distinct from Patti's yodelayhoohoo'ing.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2278 on: February 28, 2008, 07:34:30 pm »

patti ut

remind me to teach you how to quote on this site! ;)

I'm there... sign me up.
Phyl

arr arr arr,  tried deleting some of it, lost the highlight dear pbp   :-\
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2279 on: February 28, 2008, 08:27:53 pm »
Since we are talking about tattoos, I'll add mine.  I have two.  First one I got when I was thirty-five (I wanted one when I was eighteen and my Dad just about had a stroke over it.  Said I should really think about it before I did it)  So I did, for seventeen years.  A samll butterfly where no one can see it unless I show it.  Second one I got ten years later after my home was broken into and my clown collection was destroyed.  I had a clown tattooed and he has big feet and a green plaid suit and red hair.  He is really cute, but no one sees him unless I show him.  Mine didn't hurt and I wasn't drunk when I got them.    Now pass the rum or is it martinis we are havin or what is the drink of the day?  Pass the popcorn please........
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT